Isle of Man GS trails...

Steve R

Reaction score
I'm on the Isle of Man on 19/20 April, on business but on my '92 R80GS. I'll have a few hours on both days for some trail riding. There appear on the OS map to be some good looking trails over the hills. Has anyone got some insider knowledge on these? I'm looking for easy trails as I'll be on my own but I'm not a dirt virgin and have TKC80s on it.
Steve.

One of the best for a GS would be off the A36 on the far side of the Island, running South from the point where the A36 is clos St to the sea. You can see the trail on Google Earth and street view will show you the entrance gate.

Are they signed as 'The Millennium Way'?
A good tip too, get yourself a map and before riding a trail check the contour lines that the route will cross. There are quite a few trails on the island that you can get into easily but will struggle to get out of, they go steep very quickly, and some are very narrow too.

Fantastic trails ...the only snag is there are so many gates to open and close all day... Made it tedious. Far better off riding on the mainland (imho)

there is a decent little one that runs up to Windy Corner from Creg-Ny-Baa back Road - I went up it two up on Anakees in Summer. :thumb2

Steve, search for Surby (not Sulby) in Google maps follow Surby Road northbound until the road ends at a gate. An easy track starts here and joins the A36 a couple of miles later.
Or leave the Mountain Road at Mountain Box, you will see the track, ride in a northerly direction and rejoin the TT course at the bottom of Sky Hill at Milltown cottage. An easy track but don't go up if has been recently wet, the top of Sky hill gets very boggy.
It's not a good idea to do it alone (I should talk) you may well not get a mobile phone signal should you be unlucky enough to need one, especially on the Surby route.:beerjug:

That's brilliant. Thanks guys. All I need now is a rain free few days. Incidentally, if anyone else is thinking about going, booking direct with the Steam Packet Co. was cheapest, £87 return, and the same for the hotel - £60 a night for B&B in the Best Western on Douglas Prom!!! With a pool and sauna!

Steve , don't get your hopes up mate ! IMHO It's not clean and comfy like other Best Westerns....sadly ....

Back
Top Bottom