Afternoon, courtesy of Baldestons

tuftywhite

getting away with it so far!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I got a letter saying I needed a new flange on my bike.

I was going to go to Pidcocks until Mikeyboy suggested I go to Balderstons. As usual, I took Mb's advice.

I phoned Balderstons last week, very efficient, booked me in, also looked up my bike and said there was also a recall on something to do with the fuel pump/bracket. Any road, I was just about to put the phone down when I asked if they had any bikes I could have a ride on.

She put me through to Sales who listed a load of bikes, pick which one. I picked a WC GS.

Move forwards to this afternoon. I turned up a bit early, after a very pleasant ride. I checked my bike in, helped myself to a coffee, then had a chat with the sales chap.

There was no sales pressure whatsoever. He asked if I was looking to buy a bike, in which case, he'd ask someone to value mine, or if I was just trying it out to see what it was like.

I said, it's the second one. Something to do whilst mine is being seen to. No problem says he.

Signed a form. gave him my licence and NI number (in place of green bit of licence apparently).

He showed me a few of the controls, mainly keyless stuff and more importantly, heated grips. As he was showing me the bike, he apologised for there being no fuel in it.

I went straight to the nearby Tesco and put 12 quid's worth in and went for a ride for an hour and a half.

Well, what an experience. Once I'd got used to it, I started to relax. I could imagine that it would be really easy to get one of these to 100 mph. I only managed 70 on the dual carriageway, of course.

It was very quick. Gear changes a bit clunky, but I would imagine that would settle down with use. Much less clunky without using the clutch. Heated grips worked. Didn't really try any modes, Road was quite fast enough thank you.

I enjoyed the experience but I don't think I'd get one, but I can see why people do.

As for Balderstons, what a great bunch. Friendly staff, a chill out coffee/tea and TV area and a load of stuff to have a gander at.

My bike was seen to for free. So the £12 to take their bike out, get all that work done (I know BMW will pay them) was a great deal.

I had a top afternoon.

I use Balderstons all the time - great bunch to deal with

And if you ferret around in the coffee area, there's usually choccy biscuits while you wait :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom