Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA A65

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

BSA A65

With my Sunbeam nearing completion I was looking for another project. I fancied another Brit bike, but perhaps something a bit faster than a Sunbeam.

I picked up this A65 at Kempton Park Autojumble last Saturday. Tatty, but very strong runner and pulls like a train, lethal brakes, quite a lot of surface 'patina' as I believe they call what used to be known as 'rust'....

Its pretty, in a slightly battered 50 year old bike type of way. I'm going to keep it looking similar to as now, but make everything work as it should and possibly add a set of flat bars, Spitfire cut out tank and 3/4 seat if I feel a bit like going mad....

Any BSA A65 parts on offer gratefully accepted.

First 3 pics are of my A65. last one of a proper spitfire with alloy tank....
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Bought one new in 1966 .... A65L JDT 110 D

Good luck
    Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Talking

Not as nice as an A10

Quote Originally Posted by rodsharp View Post
    Not as nice as an A10
    Nicer bike to ride though

My Rocket Gold Star ...
    Adventure.GS

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

The brakes will be fine once sorted, your bike has one of the best twin leading shoe brakes made. Best of luck with it. If you strip the motor ensure you clean out the centrifugal sludge trap in the crankshaft.
    This is my one that I've had for over forty years.

Had one that spit me into a wall (both wrist broken) and a Rocket Gold Star that tried to take the skin off my arse, Still got gravel rash to this day.

Enjoy....whatever you decide to do with it Dozer
    The older I get, the better I was

I like that (apart from grab rail/rack thingy)

Shep of the Dessert Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Nice bike I like as it is, i had one similar as a sidecar outfit in the late 1970's, clutch was fragile but other than that it was very reliable and used as my daily transport for a few years.
    A man with no boat is a prisoner.
    Faroese proverb

Adventure.GS

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Nice bike I like as it is, i had one similar as a sidecar outfit in the late 1970's, clutch was fragile but other than that it was very reliable and used as my daily transport for a few years.
    I had a triumph clutch on my a7. Much better clutch than the pressed Tin and cork friction plate
    standard bsa affair

Looks like somebody has swapped the 19" front rim for an 18". This was a common mod in the 1990s when tyre choice was limited. Not such an issue now all the retro bikes have 19"

I like it as it is, there's nothing wrong with a 50 year old bike looking it's age. That said it should perform as, or better than, new so maybe some careful mechanical and electrical inspection and repair would be in order even if it is running well.

Ive had it out today, after sorting out some potentially lethal little problems, like the twin shoe front brake that goes from nothing to lock up in 1/8" on the lever and a twistgrip from a trials bike that is wrong for the throttle cable and locked the carbs open. New twistgrip assembly fitted and brake adjusted. Burton Bike Bits and Fewked are very good.

Other minor issues were the kickstart cotter pin is worn and also the headlight rim is rusted and the glass retainers are all broken, but nothing really major.

Once these little issued were sorted it ran perfectly, rattly tappets etc but pulled like a train.

I'm with Greenman, I quite like it as it is, ive wiped all the rusty bolts etc with an oily rag and it has a certain style. Ive got to change the silencers though as both of them are rusted away inside and rattle like mad.

One thing Ive noticed is that I can get absolutely nothing for this bike without going online and waiting for it to be delivered, which is a bit frustrating as I'm going over it a piece at a time as I want to use it as much as I can.

Here's mine which I sold to a mate last year. Great bikes and very reliable when sorted, I rode mine to Spain for the Moto Piston Rally in 2011

Hi

Ive just bought a 1970 A65 Thunderbolt. Its obviously been standing a long time, but the engine sounds quite solid.

Can I ask where you get your spares/info from please.

I'm undecided whether to make it usable or restore it like I did with a T140 & T160.

SRM in Wales seem to be the most popular choice for a professional engine restoration, but prices start at about £2K, with around £5K the maximum.

Unless someone has any other recommendations?

Bill

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Hi my BSA SS80 had a SRM rebuild by the previous owner on 1992. From then until Oct 14 when I bought it it had done 12 miles. Ive put a thousand miles on it and the engine has been faultless. Lots of electrical issues good old bullet connectors but the motor is lovely.
    I took the right hand side case off to fit a new clutch actuator and the condition of the SRM build inside looks lovely.

Steve
    Ps should have said in 1992 it cost £960 for the SRM rebuild.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast