BSA A65

Dozer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
With my Sunbeam nearing completion I was looking for another project. I fancied another Brit bike, but perhaps something a bit faster than a Sunbeam.

I picked up this A65 at Kempton Park Autojumble last Saturday. Tatty, but very strong runner and pulls like a train, lethal brakes, quite a lot of surface 'patina' as I believe they call what used to be known as 'rust'....

Its pretty, in a slightly battered 50 year old bike type of way. I'm going to keep it looking similar to as now, but make everything work as it should and possibly add a set of flat bars, Spitfire cut out tank and 3/4 seat if I feel a bit like going mad....

Any BSA A65 parts on offer gratefully accepted.

First 3 pics are of my A65. last one of a proper spitfire with alloy tank....

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • IMG_1525 (2).jpg
    IMG_1525 (2).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,120
  • IMG_1529.jpg
    IMG_1529.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,119
  • spitfire.png
    spitfire.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,108
Bought one new in 1966 .... A65L JDT 110 D

Good luck :thumb

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,007
The brakes will be fine once sorted, your bike has one of the best twin leading shoe brakes made. Best of luck with it. If you strip the motor ensure you clean out the centrifugal sludge trap in the crankshaft.
This is my one that I've had for over forty years.

Attachments

• 100_0038.JPG
    100_0038.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 990
Had one that spit me into a wall (both wrist broken) and a Rocket Gold Star that tried to take the skin off my arse, Still got gravel rash to this day.

Enjoy....whatever you decide to do with it Dozer

397154378_a4bcc886a7.jpg

Nice bike I like as it is, i had one similar as a sidecar outfit in the late 1970's, clutch was fragile but other than that it was very reliable and used as my daily transport for a few years.

Nice bike I like as it is, i had one similar as a sidecar outfit in the late 1970's, clutch was fragile but other than that it was very reliable and used as my daily transport for a few years.

I had a triumph clutch on my a7. Much better clutch than the pressed Tin and cork friction plate
standard bsa affair

Looks like somebody has swapped the 19" front rim for an 18". This was a common mod in the 1990s when tyre choice was limited. Not such an issue now all the retro bikes have 19"

I like it as it is, there's nothing wrong with a 50 year old bike looking it's age. That said it should perform as, or better than, new so maybe some careful mechanical and electrical inspection and repair would be in order even if it is running well.

Ive had it out today, after sorting out some potentially lethal little problems, like the twin shoe front brake that goes from nothing to lock up in 1/8" on the lever and a twistgrip from a trials bike that is wrong for the throttle cable and locked the carbs open. New twistgrip assembly fitted and brake adjusted. Burton Bike Bits and Fewked are very good.

Other minor issues were the kickstart cotter pin is worn and also the headlight rim is rusted and the glass retainers are all broken, but nothing really major.

Once these little issued were sorted it ran perfectly, rattly tappets etc but pulled like a train.

I'm with Greenman, I quite like it as it is, ive wiped all the rusty bolts etc with an oily rag and it has a certain style. Ive got to change the silencers though as both of them are rusted away inside and rattle like mad.

One thing Ive noticed is that I can get absolutely nothing for this bike without going online and waiting for it to be delivered, which is a bit frustrating as I'm going over it a piece at a time as I want to use it as much as I can.

Here's mine which I sold to a mate last year. Great bikes and very reliable when sorted, I rode mine to Spain for the Moto Piston Rally in 2011 :thumb

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cErgnlDbNtI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hi

Ive just bought a 1970 A65 Thunderbolt. Its obviously been standing a long time, but the engine sounds quite solid.

Can I ask where you get your spares/info from please.

I'm undecided whether to make it usable or restore it like I did with a T140 & T160.

SRM in Wales seem to be the most popular choice for a professional engine restoration, but prices start at about £2K, with around £5K the maximum.

Unless someone has any other recommendations?

Bill

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_2476_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_2476_1024.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 755
Hi my BSA SS80 had a SRM rebuild by the previous owner on 1992. From then until Oct 14 when I bought it it had done 12 miles. Ive put a thousand miles on it and the engine has been faultless. Lots of electrical issues good old bullet connectors but the motor is lovely.
I took the right hand side case off to fit a new clutch actuator and the condition of the SRM build inside looks lovely.

Steve
Ps should have said in 1992 it cost £960 for the SRM rebuild.

Spent most of my time as a baby in a double adult sidecar on the side of a BSA. Dads only transport at the time. Ma used to strap a suitcase on her back

Hi

Ive just bought a 1970 A65 Thunderbolt. Its obviously been standing a long time, but the engine sounds quite solid.

I'm undecided whether to make it usable or restore it like I did with a T140 & T160.

SRM in Wales seem to be the most popular choice for a professional engine restoration, but prices start at about £2K, with around £5K the maximum.

Bill

An engine overhaul is not that difficult. I'm restoring a 1967 triumph 650 engine and it's much easier than I thought. SRM may be good, they quoted me £2.5k just for the bottom end, but that IMHO is stupid money for basically a run around.

Hi

Bill

For BSA I used Lightning Spares (now retired) and Burton Bike Bits http://www.burtonbikebits.net/

For Triumph LP Williams http://www.triumph-spares.co.uk/index.php

SRM are very good but bloody expensive, A65s are very easy to work on. All you need is a parts book, workshop manual and the internet :thumb

Update - The A65 is up and running and in daily use. Its an absolute blast and sounds fantastic. Ive left the original patina, but I changed seat, tank, silencers and a few other bits that were worn out or leaking, its huge fun....

Attachments

• BSA A65L.jpg
    BSA A65L.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 452

Back
Top Bottom