Tyre pressure without rim locks?

Under 20psi is risking it.
Of course, the level of grip available and excessive use of the throttle can increase the risk drastically.

Don't know. You could drop it a couple of psi at a time until it rips the valve out then go back up a couple of psi. :nenau

Cleaning the wheel rim and tyre bead with brake cleaner instead of lubing can help too.

Under 20 risking it........... Blimey, I've been lucky then as I usually run 15-17.

I think I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need to fit rim locks, unsucsefuly ;) Weekend job sorted I guess :rolleyes:

Cheers guys :beerjug:

Andres

Make a hole in the sidewall and put the valve through that...

What would folks normally run tyre pressures down to without rim locks?

Andres

Depends more on the bike I think. Without rim locks I've run a tubeless rear on a Serow down to 6psi, a tubeless TKC80 on an airhead GS down to 15psi and a tubed TKC80 on a G/S down to about 18psi. Tubeless obviously won't rip the valve out but they might slip and then let air out. The 18psi in the tubed TKC80 was whilst riding in the Lands End long distance trial - overnight, 20+ sections, 300 miles - the tyre moved a bit and I could see the valve moving (back off the little nut on the valve stem all the way, then the valve will tilt and you'll be able to see it. Leave it tight and it'll rip out much earlier). Two or three times I had to let the air out and move the tyre back round the rime to straighten the valve up. You do this by moving off gently in first then stomping on the rear brake. It shuffles the tyre back round the rim. My first G/S had trials tyres and rim locks front and rear. They were the only tyres allowed in the long distance trials back then. I ran the tyres at about 10-12psi front and rear. Great grip but you had to be careful about hitting rocks too hard.

Happily run fifteen front and rear without issue of the tyre spinning. Had just under ten on the 690 and the front did move. Did the lands end trial a few years ago on 12 front and rear for the whole event and it was fine.

Back
Top Bottom