Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Happy Streetguard 2014 wearers???

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    My replacement jacket is going back to the dealer as its leaking at the arms. Guarantee expires next month. They are ordering me a replacement and will then ask me to take my jacket in for inspection. They said this last time but just gave me a replacement without any questions asked, very good service. Im not sure how they will inspect it if they do, it doesn't leak when putting a hosepipe on the arms, only when riding in rain.
    e-bike expert & log burner extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Allan F View Post
    Latest. Today, I returned my Streetguard suit to the dealer. Just returned from a wet few days trip up around Wester Ross. Jacket leaking on both forearms. Trousers slight leak in the crotch. Will update post when I get feedback from my dealer / BMW.
    All interestongy! My Jacket (2 years) leaked during a tiny shower on inside of arms 6 weeks ago. Soaking wet shirt. 'Never heard of an issue sir' - I'm sorry but I just don't believe it and now I've been on here that says all I need to know.

As an update to this we rode through some wet stuff last sunday on the way back from Snowdonia. We stopped for a coffee half way and something didn't feel right....either I've wet meself or water getting in troos. Pulled them down...soaking pants and base layers. Took them back last Monday as off to Switzerland shortly, heard nothing. I've left 3 messages for 3 different staff, nothing. Too busy selling new bikes maybe.

So would I recommend Streetgaurd? Trousers way too baggy, other than that they're a good flexible option and winter with no issues. Warm weather riding ok if you've got a wind-blast for me. BUT...two years?! Are you kidding! My crappy Richa jacket and troos are 8 years + old, get thrown in the washer occasionally and still survive perfectly well. I've asked for a refund or swap for a different solution as I'm not having them go wrong in another 2 years time. Man up BMW, admit these are a faulty design and issue a recall....sound familiar

Took my 2nd SG4 suit back to the dealers today, just within its 2yr guarantee by a matter of days. It was leaking on the sleeves and shins. They had already ordered in a replacement for me having phoned them about it last week, and they did a straight swap. From discussions BMW must clearly be aware of a problem. I have to say that each time I have encountered a problem with the suit leaking Rainbow BMW have given me 1st class service

Quote Originally Posted by stevedo View Post
    My wife has had 2 of these in just over 2 years and both leak/leaked. Still trying to work a satisfactory conclusion with BMW Customer Services.
    Just an update and a bit more information. We purchased a brand new Streetguard for my wife in April 2014 for impending round the world trip (still ongoing). My wife's experience with an earlier Streetguard 2 had been brilliant and we thought the 2014 Streetguard would be a great replacement. We only purchased a new suit to allow more layering for the times when it gets really cold e.g. some parts of South America otherwise the Streetguard 2 would have come on the trip.

Well, the new suit leaked like a sieve at the shoulder/forearm area to such an extent that when it started to rain we could stop and within a couple of minutes just stood stationary the suit would be wet inside. It was so bad that water would run down inside the jacket and trousers and make my poor wife's boots wet inside!!

Fast forward a bit and with rainy season in full swing in Mexico she'd had enough. BMW agreed to a replacement suit but it would take 2 months to get one into Cancun, Mexico. That was time we didn't have so we arranged to collect a new one in Guatemala City. Somehow they could get one much more quickly. Another fast forward to January 2016 and we collect a brand new suit from BMW Guatemala City. Result, or so we thought.

In May the suit jacket started to leak at the forearms. It had only done about 1,500 miles and it was bloody leaking and yes it was still rainy season so not too good. We went back to the dealer in the UK who said that they could not do anything because it was outside the original 2 year warranty period and suggest we contact BMW customer services. Initially they were no help at all and it wasn't until I pressed them that the issue was escalated and we were offered a £700 credit to spend at our nearest UK BMW dealer. That's no use to us as we're not planning on returning home any time soon and after some back and forth we were offered £700 to be credited to our current account. This we accepted. My wife still has the suit.

In the meantime BMW Bahnstormer near Alton had sent my wife a brand new Rain Lock jacket free of charge as a goodwill gesture. This was great customer service from the dealer and above and beyond what we would have expected from them. We collected the Rain Lock from San Jose in Costa Rica a few weeks ago and it is currently keeping my wife dry over the Streetguard.

BMW clearly know there is an issue with these suits as they must have had quite a few returned, just look at the reports on here. I think the way the issue was resolved for us was OK but at the end of the day given what we're doing, riding around the world, a waterproof suit would have been much better.

There is no way we could recommend this suit to anyone who wants to stay dry given our experience.

Steve
    www.tiger800rtw.com

I dont understand where the manufacturing problem lies, it can't be hard to make a waterproof suit. Im on my 3rd suit already.

Was on my forth suit but handed it back for a full refund

Sent from my
    iPhone using Tapatalk

Norways annual rainfall descended upon me during 6 of a 12 day visit recently & my new (2nd) jacket kept me dry so maybe they have it sorted now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has always been fine
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    Mine has always been fine
    And we hate you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    And we hate you for it.
    You are just the wrong shape
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    You are just the wrong shape
    So thats why BMW haven't chosen me as their male clothing model?

Honestly, after going abroad, leaving wife's and my SG suits at home, I think the best clothing option is a good mesh jacket, a Keis heated under jacket for colder weather and what we did was buy a Gortex cycling over jacket - when it rained or was cold we put them on. Perfectly dry after heavy rain around Interlaken. Vented Jackets for the rest of the trip. I know you have to put the rain layer on but it takes seconds. Hot weather in a SG isn't great.

Regarding tech, it's my thinking that where the material is repeatedly creased that's where it leaks. The bonded layer on the surface of the jacket clearly isn't good enough. You shouldn't have to, but a good fix would be the occasional soaking in Nixwax surface protector spray, you shouldn't have to, but....

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    I dont understand where the manufacturing problem lies, it can't be hard to make a waterproof suit. Im on my 3rd suit already.
    Good point, I have a SG2 purchased from here for £60 almost new. It's a brilliant jacket. Some of the gloves ( 2 in 1 and the Race ) are made by HELD, but who makes the clothing is a mystery. I used the BMW ComfortShell suit for years and is one of the best bit of kit I have. My son has the TourShell which is a bit like the SG but a bit cheaper and he likes it, no leaks or drama
    If you have been affected,offended by any of the issues raised call free on 06213111566 . Not a fat cat...

NEARLY bought a street guard 4 today, assured by the dealer that it was 100% waterproof, but thought I'd research this site first. I rather liked the anthracite and it's smart enough to walk around in, but you've all put me off. After a truly soaked French trip tis year I started looking at Rukka. buy hey bloody expensive . Decisions decisions ....
    Too shiny and clean to use it properly.

Arse Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Bought one (red and grey) for the missus when Wollaston had their sale this month. It is certainly stylish and fit is good. She is small and the smallest size fitted her. Looks well put together. Zip out soft shell jacket to wear on its own. Hood in the storm collar to pull over your head to stop the water and cold running down your neck. Not used in anger yet but will see what it is like next year.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningGSer View Post
    NEARLY bought a street guard 4 today, assured by the dealer that it was 100% waterproof, but thought I'd research this site first. I rather liked the anthracite and it's smart enough to walk around in, but you've all put me off. After a truly soaked French trip tis year I started looking at Rukka. buy hey bloody expensive . Decisions decisions ....
    They come with a 2yr warranty so they are worth a try. They are very comfy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast