Happy Streetguard 2014 wearers???

Handed back my forth replacement suit for a full refund which they did so been use an old twat suit for now but have been told that there is a completely new design suit due soon

Sent from my
iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi agent 2494, over what period of time did you return the four suits? Was it longer than the original 2 year warranty?
Thanks
Steve

Stevedo

None of the kit lasted more than 6 months max but bare in mind that wore the suits 7days a week for long trips with work one set of trousers lasted a week, far play to Cotswolds Nick said that they would keep swapping the kit or money back but it's a tad embarrassing went at a meeting and it looks like you have pissed yourself.

Sent from my
iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Shakey,

Douglas Park Motorrad East Kilbride. Bought it from them March 2015. They sent suit back to BMW. Within 7 days, BMW authorised a full replacement. Happy enough. Just hope the replacement stands up to the elements. :thumb2

Mine has never leaked, ridden in some fairly torrential prolonged rain

However I always use the storm collar and inner jacket in really bad rain

When you say storm collar, do you mean you put up the hood that's tucked into the collar?

If it's raining I zip the storm collar into the jacket and velcro everything up tight

If it was really bouncing I have worn the hood that folds out too, under my helmet - work well

You really have to wear the inner jacket as it has the labyrinth seals to seal the cuffs (they have no velcro to 'lock' them down) properly and stop water rising up the cuffs

It is a design flaw especially in warm weather, though

Once you use the jacket, as it was designed, then I've never had any leaks

You really have to wear the inner jacket as it has the labyrinth seals to seal the cuffs (they have no velcro to 'lock' them down) properly and stop water rising up the cuffs

Ive never worn the inner layers as i'd be far too hot, even in winter. The inner jacket sleeves only fasten into the outer jacket sleeves via press studs, so do you think its just the bulk of both layers at the cuffs that makes a type of seal?

Ive never worn the inner layers as i'd be far too hot, even in winter. The inner jacket sleeves only fasten into the outer jacket sleeves via press studs, so do you think its just the bulk of both layers at the cuffs that makes a type of seal?

Not really the bulk

It's a a labyrinth type seal that fits close your wrist (on the inner jacket) & keeps the wind & any rain out when your hands are on the bars

Very effective when your gloves are inside the sleeves too

Inner jacket = too hot ?

I just wear a t shirt in summer under the jacket or if it's chilly the under fleece thing

Autumn & Spring - inner jacket with a t shirt or long sleeved Helly Hansen type base layer

Never wear more than a base or t shirt under the SG4

I really do think that some SG4 owners don't use all its features in rain perhaps as BMW intended

How dare you claim I don't use all of the jackets features, I'll have you know I always have at least one Snicker bar in one of the pockets, and I often use the cuffs to wipe my nose.

But I still find the quilted liners far too warm, even in winter. But then I'm tougher than most on here :)

My replacement jacket is going back to the dealer as its leaking at the arms. Guarantee expires next month. They are ordering me a replacement and will then ask me to take my jacket in for inspection. They said this last time but just gave me a replacement without any questions asked, very good service. Im not sure how they will inspect it if they do, it doesn't leak when putting a hosepipe on the arms, only when riding in rain.

Latest. Today, I returned my Streetguard suit to the dealer. Just returned from a wet few days trip up around Wester Ross. Jacket leaking on both forearms. Trousers slight leak in the crotch. Will update post when I get feedback from my dealer / BMW.

All interestongy! My Jacket (2 years) leaked during a tiny shower on inside of arms 6 weeks ago. Soaking wet shirt. 'Never heard of an issue sir' - I'm sorry but I just don't believe it and now I've been on here that says all I need to know.

As an update to this we rode through some wet stuff last sunday on the way back from Snowdonia. We stopped for a coffee half way and something didn't feel right....either I've wet meself or water getting in troos. Pulled them down...soaking pants and base layers. Took them back last Monday as off to Switzerland shortly, heard nothing. I've left 3 messages for 3 different staff, nothing. Too busy selling new bikes maybe.

So would I recommend Streetgaurd? Trousers way too baggy, other than that they're a good flexible option and winter with no issues. Warm weather riding ok if you've got a wind-blast for me. BUT...two years?! Are you kidding! My crappy Richa jacket and troos are 8 years + old, get thrown in the washer occasionally and still survive perfectly well. I've asked for a refund or swap for a different solution as I'm not having them go wrong in another 2 years time. Man up BMW, admit these are a faulty design and issue a recall....sound familiar :blast

Took my 2nd SG4 suit back to the dealers today, just within its 2yr guarantee by a matter of days. It was leaking on the sleeves and shins. They had already ordered in a replacement for me having phoned them about it last week, and they did a straight swap. From discussions BMW must clearly be aware of a problem. I have to say that each time I have encountered a problem with the suit leaking Rainbow BMW have given me 1st class service :thumb2

My wife has had 2 of these in just over 2 years and both leak/leaked. Still trying to work a satisfactory conclusion with BMW Customer Services.

Just an update and a bit more information. We purchased a brand new Streetguard for my wife in April 2014 for impending round the world trip (still ongoing). My wife's experience with an earlier Streetguard 2 had been brilliant and we thought the 2014 Streetguard would be a great replacement. We only purchased a new suit to allow more layering for the times when it gets really cold e.g. some parts of South America otherwise the Streetguard 2 would have come on the trip.

Well, the new suit leaked like a sieve at the shoulder/forearm area to such an extent that when it started to rain we could stop and within a couple of minutes just stood stationary the suit would be wet inside. It was so bad that water would run down inside the jacket and trousers and make my poor wife's boots wet inside!!

Fast forward a bit and with rainy season in full swing in Mexico she'd had enough. BMW agreed to a replacement suit but it would take 2 months to get one into Cancun, Mexico. That was time we didn't have so we arranged to collect a new one in Guatemala City. Somehow they could get one much more quickly. Another fast forward to January 2016 and we collect a brand new suit from BMW Guatemala City. Result, or so we thought.

In May the suit jacket started to leak at the forearms. It had only done about 1,500 miles and it was bloody leaking and yes it was still rainy season so not too good. We went back to the dealer in the UK who said that they could not do anything because it was outside the original 2 year warranty period and suggest we contact BMW customer services. Initially they were no help at all and it wasn't until I pressed them that the issue was escalated and we were offered a £700 credit to spend at our nearest UK BMW dealer. That's no use to us as we're not planning on returning home any time soon and after some back and forth we were offered £700 to be credited to our current account. This we accepted. My wife still has the suit.

In the meantime BMW Bahnstormer near Alton had sent my wife a brand new Rain Lock jacket free of charge as a goodwill gesture. This was great customer service from the dealer and above and beyond what we would have expected from them. We collected the Rain Lock from San Jose in Costa Rica a few weeks ago and it is currently keeping my wife dry over the Streetguard.

BMW clearly know there is an issue with these suits as they must have had quite a few returned, just look at the reports on here. I think the way the issue was resolved for us was OK but at the end of the day given what we're doing, riding around the world, a waterproof suit would have been much better.

There is no way we could recommend this suit to anyone who wants to stay dry given our experience.

Steve
www.tiger800rtw.com

I dont understand where the manufacturing problem lies, it can't be hard to make a waterproof suit. Im on my 3rd suit already.

Was on my forth suit but handed it back for a full refund

Sent from my
iPhone using Tapatalk

Norways annual rainfall descended upon me during 6 of a 12 day visit recently & my new (2nd) jacket kept me dry so maybe they have it sorted now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom