Home made tracker

red1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Shoot me down if I'm talking bollox but would this work as a tracking device?

Take a cheap £20-30 Android phone, a USB bike socket and charging cable and wire it to a permanent live.
As GPS is always on even without a sim installed would it not always show where bike was using device manager?

....... from the darkside this was sent

My android tablet doesn't have a sim but device manager can always tell me where it is.

....... from the darkside this was sent

red1, I think Im right in saying that GPS will locate the bike, but unless you have some kind of data connection you cant see that location (so the phone knows where it is, but you wont unless you have a data enabled sim).

I have an old iphone in the boot of our car as a cheap tracker, I just put it on a £5 per month Virginmedia deal that gives sufficient data to not be a problem.

I also have a SMS based tracker on the bike, which is great as the wife can see where I am when travelling, but thats a specific installation.

HTH.

RBW.

Cheap trackers will do the job and cost not much more. You will need to hide them carefully but more costly products have the same issues. At least a GS already has a frame full of electronics so another box under the tank will pretty much hide in plain sight.

Back
Top Bottom