CBC

Betty Swollocks

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A colleague asked me this question today and I thought I'd seek the answer here before replying.

His son is 16 and rides a scooter. (Learner)

Passed his hazard perception this week.(still 16)

Booked to do his theory test on his 17th birthday next month.

Was hoping to take the practical test on Dad's 125 scooter after getting theory test.

Is the theory bit able to be carried over to the 125 or is it just for the 50cc?

AFAIK the theory test is for a motorcycle license regardless whether it is for an A, A1 or A2 category.

I would question why he wants to take his test on a 125 though as under the current laws he will still be restricted to a 125cc - there is no advantage and he has to take the tests again for the next higher category. I would suggest that he waits until he is 19 years old when he can be trained on a 47bhp bike to attain his A2 license. It just means riding around on L plates and a CBT for a couple of years but it doesn't stop him having additional training in that period to make him a safer rider.

firstly, I don't understand the original post in respect of the Hazard Perception Test and then Theory Test as although they are separate elements, they are done at the same time and fail one and you have failed both!

In respect of Lord Snooty's advice, he is correct in that he will be restricted to a 125cc until he is 19years but there is one advantage of taking the test now and that is the Driving Licence New Drivers rules commence with gaining the first driving licence and as such by the time he takes the A2 test, he will most probably be close to completing the two year 6 point period.
If he does take the test now, then he won't have to do another CBT or Theory test at the time of taking the A2 test.

Back
Top Bottom