Zumo 550 random screen activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

My Zumo 550 appears to have a life of its own, when it is turned on (or activated for those of a sensitive double entendre mentality) the screen starts up as usual and then randomnly selects something from the screen, I have carried out a few "hard resets" fner fner, but to no avail.
Contacted Garmin who were not interested as it is outside of the warranty and I do not want to replace it for one of those new fandangled 660 thingymajigs :blast.

Does anybody have any fixes please, if not, is there anybody who repairs them ?

Thanks a lot

Rich

Several companies offer repairs.

Have a look in the 660 section where a bod has had power problems. Links there etc.

Failing that, Google: Garmin Zumo 550 repair or summat similar. For example, these pop up top of the listing.

http://www.satnav-doctor.co.uk/Garm...lslSUp_sFp7BXYWgc81qZzi8Zoce7jd5trhoCxjjw_wcB

http://satnavrepairservice.com/repair-satnav/garmin-repair/garmin-zumo-550-repair/817.html

And not least it turns up:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/324267-Repair-of-my-Garmin-Zumo-550

I had the same with my 550 many years ago, though well out of warranty, I contacted Garmin with a view to them repairing it anyway.

They told me it would cost the standard repair fee of £112.

When I sent it to them, they replied that the unit couldn't be fixed (it was a dodgy screen and missing buttons), but offered me a Zumo 660 as a replacement, for £112, a good deal I thought.

Do they not do this anymore?

PS, the 660 is a worthy replacement for the 550..

Thankyou for your comments/links etc.
I will indeed check if Garmin still offer the repair service, once they opened with "its out of warranty" I didnt press the issue.
The links etc I will check when I get back home and my boss isnt chomping at the bit for me to get on with boring non bike/fun stuff:bounce1

Cheers

Rich

I used satnavrepairservice.com, indicated above by Wapping, and they are excellent.
They also have a bunch of refurbished 550s for not much money as well (at least, last time I spoke with them). If you don't have lifetime maps on your unit, it might be a decent deal.

My Zumo 550 used to behave randomly. In my case somehow it was water that caused oxidation on the connectors. Zumo died shortly of other water related causes (cracked case, heavy rain in France, short circuit).

Garmin are / were pretty good at offering refurbished devices in exchange but their offers are not endless. Devices go out of warranty (indeed it's a testament how long some of them do last) or are replaced by new ranges and not unreasonably Gamin say, "Enough is enough", just as any consumer electronics company will do.

By all means talk to them some more but prepare yourself for the third party repair.

may be worth checking around where the screen meets the bezel as sometimes dirt gets inbetween it and the screen causing it to trigger the touch screen. .

Don't bother repairing

I had exactly the same on my Zumo 550. It was a failure of the digitizer which sits behind the glass screen and converts your touches to position inputs. You can replace it fairly simply BUT...

The replacement screens which say they are a direct replacement on the internet are very slightly smaller than the original. It will leak. Look out for the refurbed ones - straight up and running again (with lifetime maps too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom