R1150GS at 50,000 miles

markkfletcher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So my lovely 2001 GS has just hit 50,000 miles. It was at 21,000 when I bought it three years ago.
I have maintained it according to Carl Kulow's excellent Maintenance Manual.
I had a new HAL sensor fitted a while back, and Steptoe is about to do the paralever bearings.

So my question is what else should I be aware of? What are the big jobs that I be thinking about getting done?
The clutch seems fine, the gear box is agricultural, but it has always been like that, it has the usual corrosion (worse because it is kept on the street and ridden every day). I think it is fine, but the wisdom of the group would set my mind at ease.

I've had my 1150 for fifteen years and nearly 70,000 miles, I seem to have been lucky (?) in that It's I've not had any of the 'common' problems, except for the corrosion etc.

What I'm saying is, I wait for things to happen, then fix them, not the best approach perhaps, but it works for me.

I've just bought mine at 44k miles. Seems to have been well looked after and it won't get any poor treatment from me. I'm just sorting all the fluids at the minute including the shaft and gearbox . Bit worried about the dreaded abs because it's still functioning :p but half tempted to have it pre emptively taken out. Not sure yet

I've had my 1150 for fifteen years and nearly 70,000 miles, I seem to have been lucky (?) in that It's I've not had any of the 'common' problems, except for the corrosion etc.

What I'm saying is, I wait for things to happen, then fix them, not the best approach perhaps, but it works for me.

Same here coming on 12 years I've had my GSA. A good wash once a month usually shows up anything mechanical externally and paying attention to any new noises seems to work.

Steptoe will probably check it as a matter of course, but I would check the drive shaft to see if the Universal Joints have gone notchy. Mine had at that mileage.

:nenau

I have had mine for nine years and done just over 100k miles on it (bike was five years old with 16k on it when I bought it). Apart from replacing a front wheel bearing at 25k, the final drive bearing and seal at 80k, and getting the shocks rebuilt at 80k I never did anything apart from basic servicing until I gave it to mikeyboy end of last summer at 115k to sort out the fuelling which had become troublesome, and he also replaced the clutch and all bearings while he had it in (like a new bike now :)). I would suggest to OP just keep riding it. :beerjug:

12 year old GSA 53k

Only major issues to date;

Gearbox output seal failed requiring a gearbox rebuild because new seal didn't take effect.

2 x stick coils

That's it

Usual servicing probably over serviced with preventative maint

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just turned over 70,000 miles last week, been mine 9+ years, I spend little time cleaning, and no time at all polishing! Its used nearly every day so I keep my eyes and ears open and keep on top of the servicing. I think sometimes it's the luck of the draw :cool:

Just turned over 70,000 miles last week, been mine 9+ years, I spend little time cleaning, and no time at all polishing! Its used nearly every day so I keep my eyes and ears open and keep on top of the servicing.

Thanks everyone, you've put my mind at rest.

12 year old GSA 53k

Only major issues to date;

Gearbox output seal failed requiring a gearbox rebuild because new seal didn't take effect.

2 x stick coils

That's it

Usual servicing probably over serviced with preventative maint

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Edit

Servo abs went

Got rid of it, cost bugger all and now have proper brakes

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Mine'a a Jan 2002. Evo brakes buy no servo.

Mileage is now just below 62K (I'm lucky to have more than one bike.)

Only real problem has been the rear bevel bearing. First failed at 36K, replaced by mechanic, failed again at 43k (only time the bike has actually let me down)....replaced again by same mechanic.....began to fail again at 52 so sent to Steve Scriminger and no problems since. Other bearings have been replaced over the years as a precaution.

Had to have a front fork oil seal replaced last week. Other than that nothing has gone wrong and NO CORROSION although I am a serial polisher,

Great bike!

Mike

72k since new, paralever bearings once, a pair of stick coils, a few fork seals, one failed short loom on the ignition switch (known problem). hyperpro shocks 'cos the originals got tired. oh, and the throttle side rubber grip wore out. beyond that, servicing but not much washing.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Here's mine, 55000 miles now

Regularly serviced by BMW

New Paralever bearings at 35k, right inlet rubber at 48k

3rd owner and had her 6 years now, since 23000 miles

Been all over Europe, with her

MRA screen/Wilbers back and front/Sargent seat/Plastic Panniers and Adv topbox.............sorted:thumby:

Attachments

• Borders Easter April 2014 001.jpg
    Borders Easter April 2014 001.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 848
Here's mine, 55000 miles now

Regularly serviced by BMW

Really JB? I'd always assumed that you were the sort of chap that worked on your own bikes? Why on earth do you pay BMW to service on old 1150? In my experience a good independent is far better than BMW + cheaper. Although the coffee at BMW dealerships is pretty good:augie

Really JB? I'd always assumed that you were the sort of chap that worked on your own bikes? Why on earth do you pay BMW to service on old 1150? In my experience a good independent is far better than BMW + cheaper. Although the coffee at BMW dealerships is pretty good:augie

I do some stuff

However I do have a very good BMW dealer, with one of the best mechanics in the country working there (30 years at same family business) and he's excellent - so I go to him and we have a good deal

I have priced up some independents (we're don't have many in Yorkshire or didn't) and there was only a small difference in cost, in reality

My theory, with regard to self service - yep oil change is easy and filters/plugs etc - but these guys see the bikes day in and day out and they know exactly what to check and when, whereas we don't and something we have lived with and ignored, may need replacing and we don't know until it's failed or damaged and they do

Plus I can earn more money with my head............ than my hands:D

So my lovely 2001 GS has just hit 50,000 miles. It was at 21,000 when I bought it three years ago.
I have maintained it according to Carl Kulow's excellent Maintenance Manual.
I had a new HAL sensor fitted a while back, and Steptoe is about to do the paralever bearings.

So my question is what else should I be aware of? What are the big jobs that I be thinking about getting done?
The clutch seems fine, the gear box is agricultural, but it has always been like that, it has the usual corrosion (worse because it is kept on the street and ridden every day). I think it is fine, but the wisdom of the group would set my mind at ease.

Since steptoe is going to do the bearings, check with him.

If it were mine, and you haven't done it yet, I'd replace the in-tank fuel hoses. They fail without warning and the failure usually results in a stopped engine--in my case in the passing lane, on a busy highway, going 75.

I'd replace the in-tank fuel hoses. They fail without warning and the failure usually results in a stopped engine--in my case in the passing lane, on a busy highway, going 75.

Wow, that sounds dreadful. Did you make it to the hard shoulder in one piece?

Back
Top Bottom