Broadband upgrade - worth it?

Tbolt

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Live in a village so no cable to the property.

Open reach box 2 streets away so upgraded to 'high speed' 18 months ago.

Getting 25 to 35 Mbs average.

Been informed by supplier that upgrade to 76 Mbs* available next month for £5 more.

Is it worth going for or will there very little real difference?

Thanks for any advice.

this would depend on yor internet use, browsing, watching online video or internet tv, or downloading 100s of torrents, or other large files, if only browsing dont bother upgrading unless its free, on the other hand if you do lots of the other it may be worth it.

can you log into your current provider's website and look at your useage log? This will give you an idea if you need more bandwidth. Unlikely unless you have a child hogging it all playing games online.

I have the same choice here but stick with the 35 meg for £10 a month option which is enough to stream iplayer or the "free" BT Sport through a Youview box and satisfy my browsing requirements.

If you can only use one hand on the computer while studying pictures of young ladies (or whatever else takes your fancy), extra broadband speed won't help. A box of tissues might :D

Ours peaks at 35 meg and the young ladies rarely freeze at the wrong moment. :drool

We have 3 internet enabled TVs, two teenagers and the usual iphones, laptops, ipads etc and don't feel the need for more. So unless you're a rabid gamer, have problems now, your iPlayer picture defaults to low res or get unlimited with the new package, I wouldn't bother.

Thanks for the replies. I will stick for now.

Kids have long flown the nest so no on-line gamers.

Only use iPad's in evenings or laptop when working from home one day a month.

Currently have unlimited but only average 40gb a month at present.

Some iplayer use through power line with no problems. Not tempted by Netflix yet.

iPad 2 is getting old now so may be cause for slow response at times with some web pages.

Only remaining question is: will the significant increase in upload speed make much difference?

upload will greatly enhance the time it takes you to upload large files or video to youtube for instance.

The standard upload speed should be okay unless you upload massive files e.g. CAD files, databases etc to a work server, need fast gaming or want to use P2P torrents to build a massive positive ratio

FWIW, I bought swmbo an iPad air 2 for her birthday and it's a lot faster than her old iPad 2.

We have standard broadband and at times it can be annoyingly slow so might upgrade to BT fibre.

I can't be sure if we have Virgin fibre because they want you full details inside leg etc before they will tell you anything. Sorry guys but your marketing stinks.

We have standard broadband and at times it can be annoyingly slow so might upgrade to BT fibre.

I can't be sure if we have Virgin fibre because they want you full details inside leg etc before they will tell you anything. Sorry guys but your marketing stinks.

If you can get cable fibre offered by any other provider I suspect Virgin can also offer this.

However, it depends on what fibre options you have locally.

I had cable broadband with Virgin when I lived in Lincoln over 10 years ago. The cables had been laid to the home by NTL / Telewest. These were bought out by Virgin.

As there was no such cables in ths village, I took standard broadband with Virgin initially. They were a nightmare when I wanted to change provider.

I suspect any provider including Virgin will offer 'high speed' 40 or 76 meg broadband if there is fibre to street cabinet option locally.

Virgin 'superfast' still needs the cable to home that was laid in the street by NTL. Virgin may have extended these networks in some areas.

I have two 75meg lines, one from BT and the other from Zen.

Joined them together with a Linksys router and both lines are combined.

I do work from home and am a geek, so need the interwebs to be there all the time, even have a 4G router as a plan C, get the fastest you can eat and no bandwidth cap.

:)

Back
Top Bottom