Alarm/imobalizer trouble in France !

Robh1664

Reaction score

My first proper trip, on my newish 1100GS into France started with me pushing the bike out of the Eurotunnel train at Calais. The Meta M357T-V2
imobalizer would not unlock. As I was waiting for the tunnel recovery to get the bike off there property, I gave the key fob another press and it unlocked.
I then had no problems until about 5 miles from the place I'm staying at. This time it would not fire into life so off with the tank and I took the whole thing out. Took about thirty minutes and I'll tidy the wiring up when I get home. I think the Meta has been on the bike since new.

I'm in the Dordogne and its 28 deg. Sunny and warm.........lovely !

Had an alarm related problem years ago on Firestorm at services on an autoroute in France.
Absolutely no reponse from the alarm when trying to disarm via fob.
Lorry driver suggested pushing to end of the run on to get as far away from the radio mast as possible (interference)

It worked! Heavy radio tx was blocking/masking/interferring with the fob signal.

Old alarms seem to go only one way!!

Enjoy ya' trip, heading to Monaco later in May and can't wait.

It's not the putting on of the alarm it's the breaking of a crucial circuit that causes the problems. JJH

Maybe I've missed something but could it just be the battery in the fob?

I have the same alarm and it took me a while, but I homed in on the battery after a few failures to disarm. That was 18 months ago. Now works perfectly.

Do you have access to the orange card for the alarm? Is easy enough (but yes, a PITA) to operate it with the ignition...

Not sure if be pulling all those wires out. My guess is they're fine and your st greater risk of causing another problem?

Trace alarm wires where it meet loom and join cut loom wire to bypass alarm should be in 2 places

Yeah, changed batteries (unbelievably got some at a watch shop) but no good. It was very easy to take the alarm out. I've run the bike all day today, no problem.
I don't think I would fit an alarm like this to a new bike, but I would fit a very well hidden kill switch to a bike. Just as effective.

So you moving. That's the important bit .

I quite like alarms, but then I haven't had one misbehave on me yet. Touch wood!

Yeah, all sorted. I think the alarm (meta) is a fine set up. Its just that mine had come to the end of it's life. Happy days now.

It's the battery that is inside the alarm that is the problem, not the one on the key fob or the bikes battery.

The alarm battery in some of the high end alarms cannot be replaced as the whole alarm module is sealed for life to prevent tampering. The battery usually only lasts for about 10 years give or take a few years. Once that battery fails as all batteries do, then the alarm module is toast. Bin it or replace it. It cannot be repaired.

So the moral of this is if you have a Thachem category alarm fitted, after about 10 years, you need to think about doing something with it before it leaves you stranded. This can be either a connector jumper, which you can use to bypass the alarm when it fails, or as I said bin or replace.

:rob

Back
Top Bottom