RT LC Issues - result

How can you have confidence in a product like that ?

Think I'd want a refund never mind an exchange bike.

The fact they're having to virtually rebuild the entire bike ( something I wouldn't be happy with ) and replace such major components such as the fecking engine !
This alone makes it stand up as unfit for purpose.

I'm amazed even by modern standards that BMW can turn out such low grade crap.

Not all , but a lot of modern bikes seem mega expensive and mega low quality .

Good luck with it anyway.;)

What do you blokes do with your bikes - store them in salt water?

I've done 9k miles on my RTLC in about 18 months and it's still immaculate, as far as I can see.

Maybe I need better glasses...

:nenau:nenau

You maybe do need better glasses. Strip away some plastic, give it a good detailed clean and you will find it if it's been anywhere near a winter road. Mine is ridden, rattled up to 9.5K in around 9 months or so, cleaned every weekend, ACF50'd for winter, a Pet dryer to dry it off and a squirt of FS365 afterwards. Outwardly it looks showroom, dig under the surface and you can see it going.

Mine looks brand new compared to dudgeman's based on his pictures above, but it's starting, and once it starts it won't stop. I have to say Dudgemans is the worst I've seen, but I also have to say I was in a similar position, 1 year old Tiger 1050, same sort of corrosion as Dudgeman's RT, and I went through everything to get it done, tried rejecting it, got a solicitor involved and finally got to the point where they offered to rebuild the engine with new cases, but still insisting it was normal wear and tear. At the very least BMW have stumped up and said "OK, will sort it out" with a minimum of stress.

Like I said in an earlier post, no amount of ACF50 or FS365 etc is going to prevent poorly prepared surfaces from going. I don't think it's even the shit water based paint, I think BMW have a manufacturing problem and need to sort it.

My dealer has a Black Engined GSA in next week with my RT, full engine swap due to paint defects, it's only a few months old. (PS They don't like the word corrosion in warranty claims, paint defect is the buzz phrase)

Good God that is truly shite
I can't help thinking that the way a dealer will fit a new engine will break paint around fixings with the same result in double quick time.
They as a manufacturer have not learned a single thing from the past.

Sadly, it is all about getting as much profit out of a unit as possible. The fact here is, does anyone know of a bike as good as the new RT and without it's own corrosion issues when used in Winter?
I really wish I had kept my 2006 R1200RT, 7 winters and only the front engine casing (replaced under warranty) and the footrest hangers bubbled. That was it corrosion wise though, yes once a month the panels came off and it got a proper clean and ACF 50 but not anywhere near the problems of these later examples.
I think in about 5 years time various powder coating companies will have their hands full with R1200RT LC engine casings.

Like I said in an earlier post, no amount of ACF50 or FS365 etc is going to prevent poorly prepared surfaces from going. I don't think it's even the shit water based paint, I think BMW have a manufacturing problem and need to sort it.

IMHO you've got it in one.

On nearly all these 'corrosion' threads somebody will chime in with how crap water based paints are and that is where the problem lies.

I disagree. Modern water based paints are used throughout the automotive industry. They are technically advanced and more than up to the job these days. If it was down to just the paint used then all makes would suffer this problem and they don't.
I reckon it's almost entirely down to poor surface prep and/or not enough paint on high wear areas such as frames.

Andres

The paint can't adhere correctly to sharp edges left from machining.
They need to be hand finished and deburred prior to painting

Um no...yours will go..if its silver...I look after my bike as well as anyone. My 2001 1150rt and I did 50k (and it alredy had 25k on the clock) in 2 and a half years. It had only the smallest amount of paint bubble when i traded it. I have pictures of it as well. Here is the first of a few of my 2014 rt:

//s918.photobucket.com/user/bassmandudge/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160406_191306.jpg.html]
20160406_191306.jpg
[/URL]

Jesus ..... that's the worst one I've ever seen and I've seen a few ;)

That front engine cover is something else :eek:

Have you checked out your front and rear subframes?

Have you owned the bike from new?

Who is your dealer?

Hi all

Yes it is bad. Very bad. BUT BMW have been up front..they asked how I cleaned it, I told them and I was backed by my dealer. So far to date my dealer has been really supportive. As I said BMW have offered to change the engine and drive train without question. They have offered me an extended warranty for another year. Yes I have owned it from new. The major problem here is simple...this is a manufacturing problem/error with the Silver engines. No amount of new silver engines... AFC..wd40..etc will stop it. Generally it starts away from the edges in random places. They have a much better reliability record with the black ones and this is why they are standard on the new RT's. I requested a black engine for this one and they refused saying it wasn't the right model year. So I will have the same problem..I am on a 3 year PCP and this really confuses things. I am due to speak to BM again and I will let you all know the outcome. Do not assume because you have clocked 9k miles..or 3k miles this isn't going to happen to yours...I'll have a tenner with any of you it does and when it does make sure you are in warranty...

Such an amazing bike...such a bloody shame.....

I was told by a dealer only a few weeks ago when discussing the corrosion on a 2 year old WC RT in their showroom that BMW think the salt mixture used on our roads is particularly aggressive. He told me that BMW sell 10% of their bikes in the UK BUT 90% of their corrosion claims come from the UK! :eek: :nenau

Just repeating what I was told!

Wrong type of salt?

Go tell that to the bloke with the corroded bike who has never ridden it in the winter or on a salted road :rolleyes:

More excuses for substandard products
I feel for the dealers as it's them standing toe to toe with the customer
The manufacturer needs to be a bit less arrogant and stop pretending that they don't have a problem

The chap I spoke to from BMW at the Motorrad days bash in Garmisch last year was aware of what he called the "English Problem" but said they were unable to change their manufacturing processes for one country. I bet they would if it was mainland Europe or the USA though!
The point is, they will replace (most of the time) the items within the warranty period but what happens after that. There will be a lot of RT's and GS's out there with corrosion and it ain't going to be cheap to rip the bikes apart to get the items powder coated.
I have previously e mailed Ride magazine who test BMW's every issue and Kev Raymond said they were keeping an eye on the BMW finish, but despite my requests they do not appear to be too enthusiastic about running an article on build quality. I just wonder if enough of us get on to them (or MCN who is part of the same organisation and were brave enough to run an article a few years ago) they may run an article, I can understand their reluctance as if they are brave enough the manufacturers may either take note or alternatively, put them at the back of the list for loan bikes and road tests etc.
Incidentally, the RT Simon Weir had on test was hardly used as it was grounded for half the time they had it due to the rear damper recall.
Even if you paid £15000 plus for a car you would not expect this so I don't believe it is just down to water based paint.
Are all of you out there willing to e mail ride to get them to look into this, would a new thread on RT Tourers, GS LC's and K series as a call to arms be a way to go.
As individuals we are stood at the dealers as the single customer, but if there were a large enough group and an article raising the issue perhaps BMW may think twice about it.
At present, I would be reluctant to buy another new BMW. I have an R1100RS I use for the winter but the point of getting the RT was the weather protection and heated seat, but the fear of salt chomping away at the finish has meant that the R1100RS has run throughout the winter.

Even if you paid £15000 plus for a car you would not expect this so I don't believe it is just down to water based paint.

I'm afraid some bean counter in Berlin has made this decision and the water based paint theory is just bollocks otherwise you would have 2 year old BMW cars sat at the roadside as rusty as Brighton Pier :rolleyes:

Another theory is that it's only the silver engined bikes that corrode. This is also BOLLOCKS unless my eyes have been lying to me and the corroded GSA's have seen did in fact have silver and not black motors? :augie

It matters not what colour you paint them. What matters is the preparation process and if BMW apply only a whisper thin coat of paint on to a frame without putting primer on it first of course it is going to corrode :blast

I'm afraid some bean counter in Berlin has made this decision and the water based paint theory is just bollocks ........................................a whisper thin coat of paint on to a frame without putting primer on it first of course it is going to corrode :blast

^^^^^^^^^^^All of this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :thumb2

I also don't buy the bollox about the UK having different salt and that it's only a UK problem.

Firstly, lost of the corrosion that's been happening is away from edges, corners etc. The paint 'skin' has not failed, the corrosion is bubbling the paint from below. This smacks of the metal surface not having been prep'd properly and poor or no application of a suitable primer.

Secondly, if salt were the issue, the amount of salt on our roads is nothing compared to that used on central European roads where they have much harsher winters. Whether they have pure salt and we have molasis combined with salt matters not one jot. It's still a corrosive saline solution and I just don't believe that the problem is down to that. If it was, exposed fastners and metal surfaces would be trashed which, on the whole, they are not.

Thirdly, other makes of bike would suffer similarly in UK winters but they don't.

Andres

Just stop buying new bikes, they'd soon change the quality then..................but if more punters keep flocking to the BMW altar everyday then why change anything

Deal with the odd warranty complaint down the line

I will happily ride anywhere or write anything to anyone on this issue. Its got sod all to do with salt.... The roads around me were salted only once that I know of this winter, mainly because the council doesn't have the money. The winter hasn't been that hard and mine first started to go in July/August last year...I mean I know the British Summer is harsh but fairly sure they weren't salting the roads in July..haha.

The fact of the matter is that in the UK we tend to ride our bikes..more so than a lot of countries from what I am told....yes BMW... really that's what they are for surely?...its not just a garage ornament..and so what happens to ours then gets reflected across the globe, that's why BMW sent 2 representatives over to see the corrosion on mine, and others, bike parts. Sadly it won't cost them a fortune as, in my opinion, they are hoping most of the problems occur outside of warranty. I hope they will have a job not paying out though, as it is a known issue...I would imagine they are just hoping that it doesn't become a recall issue, although I think it should be.. Can you imagine...

I was hoping to get a journo on side... How could a bike journalist not want to expose this issue? I doubt BMW would be less likely to give them a test bike...and if they did then they could just report on that and make BMW look even worse...issues like this shouldn't be swept away. If the bike lot aren't brave enough to speak out then I am sure I can find a journalist who will. I have tried very hard to come to a resolve with BMW over my bike's problems and it still isn't settled in a way I consider to be satisfactory. I will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom