RT LC Issues - result

I quite agree, I think we are being mugged off here. Whether it is down to preparation of the material to be painted, the paint or lack of treating the machined edges(I suspect the latter) it is just crap. I know there have been exactly the same problem with the K1600GT engine and K1200/1300 series final drives.
I am going to send an e mail to the editor of MCN asking them as to whether they would have the balls to run an article on this, it would of course help if other people did the same.
I do feel sorry for most of the dealers as they try their best but at times I think they are banging their head against a brick wall being it the arrogance or refusal by BMW to admit there is a problem. As for a recall, I think most recalls are safety issues (or emissions.....VW) and unfortunately I doubt that VOSA could be convinced that a manufacturing fault in the way paint is applied could be grounds.
Come on you lot, let's all e mail MCN and Ride magazine, it could only be in our interest and unless BMW are challenged this will only go on.

Will hold on to my 2008 with 80,000 Klm for now.. with very little corrosion on it except centre stand and brake peddle that I sanded and repainted..
Not to many WC RT models around over here in Ireland only seen two in the last year on my travels .
If I see any I will have to have a good look at them..
I feel so sorry for you guys with the corrosion. Wish you best of luck with things ...

Motorcycle News didn't want to know about the heated grip probem. I emailed the editor and didn't get a response to sent him a letter which was also ignored. Rude bunch of cu--s!

With respect, heated grips not getting hot enough is slightly less of an issue than £16k's worth of bike dissolving in to powder, in front of your very eyes, the moment it sees a mildly moist road :rolleyes:

Hi All, I too have an 18 month old RT with 14000 miles that has corrosion issues and have pointed it out to my local dealer {11 weeks ago} and got a reply from my dealer this week {glad it wasn't urgent - lol}.

Basically it all my fault, apparently I don't wash my bike enough. which is subjective as it is my only form of transport - so is ridden most days

Not happy with dealers comment, and any help/advice would be great, before the battle commences. . .:beerjug:

My RT is 18 months old with just 7500 miles on it, it is used during the winter but hosed down after wet winter rides and was acf50d by the dealer before this winter. I am on my third swing arm and bevel box. I have paint system failure now showing on my engine as well:mad:. There is going to be a very uncomfortable conversation coming up with my dealer, who has been very good in dealing with all my issues so far.

Ok so an update for you all. It looks like I am sorted. New engine/drivetrain for the moment and then help getting on a new bike in the next 6 months. (no I'm not mad..this is purely for financial reasons) I have a complicated situation with regards to finance/PCP terms required mileage etc. I was never going to get exactly what I wanted but this is as good a compromise as I could get. Its going to cost me, my dealer and BMW so at least I am not the only one out of pocket.

If you have this problem and your dealer won't help and you are in warranty then drop your dealer like a stone and find one that will help. It is in your dealers financial interest to sort this.. This is a well known problem and unless you treat your bike like a complete shed then it is a straight warranty deal. I also ride my bike everyday..so that's no excuse for them to not be interested. I am happy to answer PM's on here (if I can get them)

I still have to dot a few I's and cross a few T's but at least I can now relax a bit ..I have to say this has been pretty stressful for all concerned.

Muc Off is the equivalent of Devil's Jizz to BMW

Only mention you use it if you want your corrosion warranty claim rejected

Hi Dudgeman, glad your finally getting sorted, just wish I could. what cleaning regime do they seem to like us to do to these bikes and what cleaning products?

I mean I would be interested in knowing what cleaning products BMW recommend and which they disapprove of.

My dealer only appears to sell Castrol Greentec and ASF50.

I have read somewhere that BMW disapprove of "Muck Off" and the likes?

Cos I'm sure this will be relevant in any inevitable future disputes. :beer:

I really dont know what the allowed remit is for washing your bike. Fairly sure BMW prefer you to use their products. I always hand wash mine with a mild detergent..never pressure wash..and always chamois dry. I dont use any products to enhance plastics etc..hate that stuff...occasionally wipe stuff down with wd40 on a rag...but in general just clean it and dry it. My dealer knows how i wash it as they always take the mickey out of me as they keep finding bits of sponge in the most hard to reach places!...on the bike I mean... What it comes down to is they know I look after it properly and do all I can to keep it looking good.

Just had a setback with mine, it's in for the new engine etc etc and the new engine from BMW appears to be fecked, or the gearbox appears to be, it's not driving the rear wheel so another engine is now on order Got a couple of weeks coming up in Europe from 27th May as well so waiting to speak to the dealer principle tomorrow to see where we go from here.

Hohum, that can't be blamed on corrosion :)

Just had a setback with mine, it's in for the new engine etc etc and the new engine from BMW appears to be fecked, or the gearbox appears to be, it's not driving the rear wheel so another engine is now on order Got a couple of weeks coming up in Europe from 27th May as well so waiting to speak to the dealer principle tomorrow to see where we go from here.

QC ??

Appears to be none JB, dents your confidence in this "premium" product somewhat.

Replacement bike. Simple. They've had one chance to put it right, and failed.

Back
Top Bottom