RT LC Issues - result

Bmw appear to be a joke on quality now.... I had a 2009 GSA in berlin, no corrosion, lovely bike..... But now, due to budget, i have a 2008 bandit and tbh, ride quality aside, i have less corrosion and issues on this than an 8 month old bmw.... I test rode bmw bikes from 2010, certainly not perfect in terms of corrosion and a premium price to boot.... I think they have major issues to deal with....

I had a similar saga in Feb of last year, Wollaston thought my corner as far as they could but BMW wouldn't go down the new bike route. I think you have 2 options, see if they will do a deal on a new bike though you will need to stump up some cash. Or see if they will give you some accessories.
Incidentally, I spoke to someone who works at a BMW Motorrad dealership on Sunday and they are aware of what is causing the problem with the paint. Apparently, the castings have copper in the alloy and this is causing problems with paint and it's adherence. Black paint less so, however, they have had some bikes with black engines and final drives back where there has been a problem with that finish as well.
As for the old engines they remove? They smash them up as BMW don't want them back. This must be costing BMW a small fortune.

I spoke to someone who works at a BMW Motorrad dealership on Sunday and they are aware of what is causing the problem with the paint. Apparently, the castings have copper in the alloy and this is causing problems with paint and it's adherence.

Black paint less so, however, they have had some bikes with black engines and final drives back where there has been a problem with that finish as well.

As for the old engines they remove?

They smash them up as BMW don't want them back. This must be costing BMW a small fortune.

What an utter shambles

Well good news, dealer has pulled out all the stops, second engine is perfect and they shuffled stuff around in the workshop to get the senior tech on my RT.

From the disaster of BMWs making in Wednesday, they've got the RT done.

I dropped the 9T in for its first service this morning and picked up an RT loan bike, and just got a call saying can I leave the 9T with them, and they've finished the RT.

Off to pick it up in a bit and give it a shakedown run.

Everything on my list in the original post, including the centre stand has been replaced.

Some people have had problems getting that done, mines been done no questions.

Dealer in question is Chester Motorrad, they've had a few detractors, but I've had 6 bikes off them (not all BMW's) and never had an issue, and they pulled out all the stops to get my RT sorted.

Even got a message from the dealer principle while he was off for a funeral, with an update on progress, can't say fairer than that.

Top banana

Good you got it sorted but utterly amazing that BMW have such shocking build quality yet people still flock to buy their awful products !

It seems the pinnacle of perfection was the R1100RT, made of proper metal and no difficult maintanance issues, the Dakota of the bike world! it was all downhill from then :D

Just had my bike back from a major service (2014 RT LC) and the final drive is looking rather shabby, any tips on what to say when approaching the dealer over this? bike had very little use over winter this year, kept relatively clean and washed using Autoglym products.

Just had my bike back from a major service (2014 RT LC) and the final drive is looking rather shabby, any tips on what to say when approaching the dealer over this? bike had very little use over winter this year, kept relatively clean and washed using Autoglym products.

Just PM'd you

As long as you follow page 152 - 154 of the manual, you are good.

Care products
BMW Motorrad recommends that you use the cleaning and care products you can obtain from your authorised BMW Motorrad dealer.
The substances in BMW CareProducts have been tested in laboratories and in practice they provide optimised care and protection for the materials used in your vehicle.

The use of unsuitable cleaning and care products can damage vehicle components.
Do not use solvents such as cellulose thinners, cold cleaners, fuel or the like, and do not use cleaning products that contain alcohol.

Washing the motorcycle
BMW Motorrad recommends that you use BMW insect remover to soften and wash off insects and stubborn dirt on painted parts prior to washing the motorcycle.
To prevent stains, do not wash the motorcycle immediately after it has been exposed to strong sunlight and do not wash it in the sun.
Make sure that the vehicle is washed frequently, especially during the winter months.
To remove road salt, clean the motorcycle with cold water immediately after every trip.
After the motorcycle has been washed, ridden through water or ridden in the rain, the brake discs and pads might be wet and the brakes might not take effect immediately.
Apply the brakes in good time until the brake discs and brake pads have dried out.
Warm water intensifies the effect of salt. Use only cold water to wash off road salt.
The high pressure of highpressure cleaners (steam cleaners) can damage seals, the hydraulic brake system, the electrical system, and the seat.
Do not use a steam jet or highpressure cleaning equipment.
Cleaning easily damaged components
Plastics
If plastic parts are cleaned using unsuitable cleaning agents, the surfaces can be damaged.

Care
Do not use cleaning agents that contain alcohol, solvents or abrasives to clean plastic parts. Even insect-remover pads or cleaning pads with hard surfaces can produce scratches.
Body panels
Clean the trim panels with water and BMW plastic care emulsion. Windscreens and lenses made of plastic
Clean off dirt and insects with a soft sponge and plenty of water.
Soften stubborn dirt and insects by covering the affected areas with a wet cloth.
Clean with water and sponge only.
Do not use any chemical cleaning agents.
Chrome
Use plenty of water and BMW shampoo to clean chrome, particularly if it has been exposed to road salt. Use chrome polish for additional treatment.
Radiator
Clean the radiator regularly to prevent overheating of the engine due to inadequate cooling.
For example, use a garden hose with low water pressure.
Cooling fins can be bent easily.
Take care not to bend the fins when cleaning the radiator.
Rubber components
Treat rubber components with water or BMW rubber-care products.
Using silicone sprays for the care of rubber seals can cause damage.
Do not use silicone sprays or care products that contain silicon.
Paint care
Washing the vehicle regularly will help counteract the longterm effects of substances that damage the paint, especially if your vehicle is ridden in areas with high air pollution or natural sources of dirt, for example tree resin or pollen.
However, particularly aggressive substances (e.g. spilt fuel, oil, grease, brake fluid and bird droppings) must be removed immediately, as the paint could otherwise be affected or become discoloured. BMW Motorrad recommends using BMW vehicle polish or BMW paint cleaner for this purpose.
Marks on the paintwork are particularly easy to see after the motorcycle has been washed.

Care
Remove stains of this kind immediately, using cleaning-grade benzene or petroleum spirit on a clean cloth or ball of cotton wool.
BMW Motorrad recommends using BMW tar remover for removing specks of tar. Remember to wax the parts treated in this way

Glad you got your bike sorted. Mine is due in for full transplant on 23rd of this month. I tried everything to reject the engine swap as I simply didn't want another silver one and tried to get a new bike. Apparently I have done too many miles and the PCP deal I am on simply doesn't work in my favour at the moment, just the wrong timescale to trade mine. So I am getting the work done and will be ordering a new one within 6 months to try and claw back some residual.

In all honesty if I wasn't on a PCP and about to lose a load of money I would run mine into the ground..throw it back at BMW at the end of 3 years and trip off to see Mr Honda/yamaha/whoever. There is no doubt in my mind that there isn't another bike as capable as the RT on a day to day basis that I know of of, but premium product?? No chance. Built like a Skoda from the 70's..

I looked at some photos of my old 70k 2001 R1100RT on the weekend hardly a mark on it... that bike's build quality with this engine and suspension...now that would be a proper BMW...

Motorrad are well aware of these problems. After telling me that the corrosion was all my fault - they have since rescinded and are now transplanting my engine/shaft drive/swing arm etc etc. :mad:

Maybe things will now improve in the future. If you look at www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk and NOT your local dealer's site, and go to the bike configurator you will notice that were all getting Black Engine and shaft drive.

Now change motorrad.co.uk to other European countries German=de / France=fr / Italy=it / Greece=gr etc. and go to there configurators and it appears that we are the only country getting the Black. :comfort

Glad they saw sense. My full transplant has now been done so I am now running in my new/old bike! Interestingly the new engine is much quieter..maybe when it loosens up a bit it will get fruitier. The slight downside is now the front wheel is under consideration for warranty as that is now going the same way ..especially around the disc bolts..ho hum…

Now its settled I'd like to give a massive shout out to Bahnstormer in Maidenhead for helping me through the whole process, especially Phil and Terry…thanks guys.

BMW agreed new front wheel....fair play to them and can't fault their warranty dept, but really will this never end..lol
Triggers broom anyone.....

Apparently the latest from BMW is that if you transport your newly purchased bike from the dealers in a van and then keep it permanently in a hermetically sealed bag in a central heated garage then there will be no problems in them honouring any warranty claims for corrosion

Attachments

• carcoon-storage-systems%20(6).jpg
    carcoon-storage-systems%20(6).jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 215
I was lining up to get a new RT next year (my first BMW), but the number of people with corrosion issues is really starting to put me off.

RBW

But how many who do not have any issues and don't post on forums. BMW sells loads of bikes. If you do have an issue, at least they stand upto their warranties, try that with other brands. I've a 2014 RT, not issues at all

But how many who do not have any issues and don't post on forums. BMW sells loads of bikes. If you do have an issue, at least they stand upto their warranties, try that with other brands. I've a 2014 RT, not issues at all
Same here have a 2015 model ..superb bike . Had an issue with the extra spotlights that were fitted, both replaced dye to water ingress , the same week as the complaint made, and that's it.

Brilliant bike

I was lining up to get a new RT next year (my first BMW), but the number of people with corrosion issues is really starting to put me off.

RBW

Don't be put off by my bitchings…This is still the best sports touring bike on the road today by a mile….no scrap that..still one of the best day to day bikes by a mile...most of my frustration is down to the fact that I love it so much but it keeps failing me in quality. BMW are on this and I am sure they will sort the alloy mix and stop this happening in the future. The new engine and Gearbox on mine are epic…way better than the original..If it helps, despite all my problems and issues…or should that be my bikes problems and issues..lol, I will still swap this in for another one in the next 3 months...the bike as a piece of engineering is that good…and as an every day ride is simply the best in my opinion..

Just make sure you get a van and a hermetically sealed tent…hahaha...

Back
Top Bottom