RT LC Issues - result

Fluffmeister

I think I'm a Guzzista now
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not a moan or a whine as I still love the bike, but had some issues with the RT in recent months and got a resolution, albeit a bit odd when you stack the parts prices up.

Paint defects / Corrosion / water ingress has meant that my 2015 RT has now been authorised for the following

New Engine
New Final Drive
New Centre stand
New Rear Wheel
New Clocks (Already replaced once)
New Riders seat (Heat has packed in)

Bikes already had
New bar ends (paint peeled off in under 250 miles)
New right side bodywork (warped panels)
New Clocks

I'm chuffed it's getting sorted but can't help thinking that with the bill for all that, why don't they just replace the bike? There must be a good 10K's worth of parts and labour there (Of course building them properly in the first place is the answer)

Very little, they took loads of photographs, established that the general presentation of the bike was excellent in that I look after it (as I'm anally retentive on cleaning). The original reply was replace all parts as necessary, so the service manager said he just wanted to query with BMW UK that the statement was to be taken as read (He was surprised), they confirmed this afternoon "yes" so all parts being ordered today.

They have asked me to hold off having the clocks replaced as they are having a problem with the internal anti glare coating of the clocks melting and running down the inside of the clocks and they have a replacement part in testing. Only ball ache is getting it sorted and a 600 mile service done before I head off on my annual jaunt at the end of May over to Eastern Europe.

BMW were VERY keen to establish that I had looked after it and it they've had many pictures to show the general condition of the bike and the issues raised were not in line with the rest of the "fair wear and tear" on the bike.

It's taken about 3 weeks since it was all flagged up.

Surely reject it and get an entirely new bike - financially for bmw cant be much different? Frightening to think how a premium product has so many faults!!

I could go down that route, but it was my understanding I have to give them the opportunity to sort it out, which they appear to be doing.

as a matter of interest did they ask you to explain your cleaning routine and the products you use ?

would you be prepared to share what they found acceptable, not that I have any problem but I don't want one either.

R1200RT LC finish

This echoes my thread under R1200RT LC corrosion last year, with the bike I chucked back I was uncertain whether it was the fact water had got in where the powder coated edges were machined or whether it was the preparation or lack of it at the manufacturing process. The dealer Wollastons were brilliant and I ended up getting another bike with only 200 miles on the clock as I wanted quartz blue and they had stopped making new ones in that colour. That was in May last year, I took the bike to Garmisch and Berchtesgarden, it spent the winter in the back of the garage having been cosseted and wearing it's ACF 50 which was applied by the dealer before I collected it, but and here is the nub of it, the coating is bubbling at the rear of the swing arm. I did discuss the corrosion to the original bike (the 2006 RT I chopped in as a P/X and used through 7 winters only had corrosion on the footrest hangers) he conceded there appeared to be a problem with the U.K. Saying 95% of corrosion claims came from there, fact being they coukd not change their manufacturing processes first of all due to eu regs with chemicals but also as I suspect is the main reason the cost of doing so.
It's gutting really as the new RT is a superb bike.

Hi

I am in the midst of this issue with BMW at the moment. I will post photos. Can anyone who has been through this please PM me with their outcome... BM have offered new engine and drive train but I want off the bike for a new one.
Cheers

Welcome along. Sorry to see you have problems with your bike. I think that PM are avaible to subscribers only. Hope you get sorted with the bike. JJH

All my work has been agreed with BMW, I'm not looking to reject it as I've got them onside, and the rest of the bike is perfect. I had a chat to the dealer principle about this as my repair bill is confirmed to be in the region of £8.5K and I asked would it not just be simpler to replace the bike, and he said this would not be on because there is the associated cost of the new bike, plus making the repairs to mine to make it saleable.

I'm not even thinking of rejecting it, how could I, I've done over 9K miles so it's hardly unfit for purpose, and before rejecting you have to give them an opportunity to repair things.

I'm happy with my outcome, I know for a fact based on previous experience, had this been a Triumph, I'd have gotten nowhere with paint defect's / corrosion claims, so hats off to BMW and my dealer.

One thing I would say when you get it back, get some clear heatproof lacquer and with a vey small brush run it along all of the edged surfaces. What I would then suggest is to slather it with ACF 50, not pretty when it gets dirty but at least you won't end up with white bubbled parts. Note that on the final drive casing near the top there are a couple of machined surfaces that could/should be lacquered.

Hope this is of use and that you continue to put the miles on it as that is certainly what it is for.

For the non subscribers benefit, Wollastons said that if muc off cleaner or dare I say it washing up liquid is used then BMW will tell you where to go. They recommend their own cleaner or the products from the S100 range, once you get in from a salty ride, don't hose it down straight away as this accelerates the reaction between the salt and manufacturing materials. Wait for the bike to cool.

Hi..mine is 18 months old..20k on the clock. The corrosion is everywhere and really bad. I am already on my second rear drive shaft section..which after 3 months is going already. No amount of AFC will help imo...this is a reaction between the paint and casings...in my experience once it starts it goes like wildfire...my bulkhead section showed no corrosion 4 weeks ago..now its shocking. Still in negotiations with BMW for complex reasons but they have offered to change engine and driveshaft..I will post outcome once it is sorted. Thanks for the welcome btw..:)

What do you blokes do with your bikes - store them in salt water?

I've done 9k miles on my RTLC in about 18 months and it's still immaculate, as far as I can see.

Maybe I need better glasses...

:nenau:nenau

Um no...yours will go..if its silver...I look after my bike as well as anyone. My 2001 1150rt and I did 50k (and it alredy had 25k on the clock) in 2 and a half years. It had only the smallest amount of paint bubble when i traded it. I have pictures of it as well. Here is the first of a few of my 2014 rt:

//s918.photobucket.com/user/bassmandudge/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160406_191306.jpg.html]
20160406_191306.jpg
[/URL]

Back
Top Bottom