Trip to Poland

tviljoen

Dear all

I am in between jobs and have 3 weeks to travel in May. Thought about doing a trip to Krakow in Poland and then back. Has anyone done a trip like this with any suggestions/advice?

I have never ridden to Poland but I have driven a few times. It is a beautiful country with friendly people who can't do enough for you (but I'm biased because my wife is Polish and her family come from near Krakow)

Krakow is a great city but much of the surrounding area is industrial and coal mining.

Close by and a must-do (once) is Auschwitz. See it and that will be one more person in the world who won't let it happen again.

It is also worth going south to Zakopane and the Tatra mountains - an area that feels more Swiss than Polish.

A typical trip for me would be to cross the border at Gorlitz having first visited Dresden in the former East Germany. Coming back would be via more northern crossing and through Berlin.

Mike

Went to Poland in 2001 via Hamburg, Berlin, Gorlitz & the mountains near the Czech border. Spent the night in Wroclaw/Breslau in the worlds crappiest camp site where a top box was liberated of some of the contents. From there we headed east to Krakow - well worth a visit. It's also worth heading south east a few miles to Wieliczka to visit the Salt Mine. Set aside a couple of hours for the visit. 125m underground there are huge caverns & statues carved out of the salt rock by hand.

From there we headed south to north west Slovakia & on to Czech, crossing the border at Makov. Headed to Prague, Thuringa Wald & back through central Germany, Liege & Calais.

If you venture off the main roads & in to the more rural areas in Poland, it's like going back in time 50 years.

Back
Top Bottom