Wilbers shocks fitted by Revs Racing - Gawd Bless'em!

cafemaestro

Reaction score
2010 TC - just replaced front and rear ESA shocks for Wilbers WESA system.
Original rear popped its seal at 28K and emptied itself leaving an interesting pogo ride set up which was bloody scary! Replacement OEM part rear only was circa £500-600 + fitting, so decided to go for Wibers Front & Rear at £1200 fitted.

Rode 60 odd miles on it yesterday - Motorway, Dual Carriageway, Fast A & B roads & single track pothole fests - First impressions are good. Very Good.
Rode my usual commute this morning and it is definitely a more capable bike. Much less jarring and the best analogy is it's like going from a wooden seat on a go-cart to a foam moulded one.
Very very composed and I kept having to back off as I was riding at 70mph in country lanes without realising because it just felt so easy.
Even went looking for bumps because rather than unsettling the bike they added to that of "go anywhere, do anything" feeling the bike has.

Compared to the OS shocks they are most certainly better - much more quality feel. The ESA (or WESA as it is now) works just the same and the orange springs look much cooler!
Also as the spring is matched to usual riding weight, whereas I used to ride with one helmet + luggage as standard, I now use the one helmet setting.

However, .....Would I have fitted them if my old shock had not gone? - I have to be honest and say no - not unless money was no object (and it always is!). £1200 is an awful lot for a bike tweak. I'd rather spend it on a bike tour!
If I am really really honest, (and note I may change my mind after more time with them), I wouldn't say the difference is £1200 worth - it is lots better, but that credit card bill does detract from it a bit.
I am very happy nonetheless - the repair is better than the original and with the bike being a regular steed, over 3 years it's only £1.10/day :augie

As for Revs Racing (Nick & John) who fitted them, I heartily recommend them - All the praise on here about them is thoroughly deserved. Smiley, dry humoured, straightforward, skilled and professional. It was a case of turn up 9am, tea and chat as you wish, leave them to it for the day, all done by 4pm.
With a 5 year warranty on the shocks dependent on 2 year services, I know where I will go to get them done.

If you are looking for new shocks - you won't be disappointed.

Agree with all of the above. I've had mine over 3 years now and they perform as good as when fitted. I've opted not to have them serviced as at the moment I'm not racking up a huge mileage plus when I looked, the price for a rebuild wasn't much more than the twice yearly service. It did dent the bank account at the time but I've forgotten about that now with the added fun I've had on the twisties.

I had a pair fitted last week and about the same sentiments as cafemaestro. Good, Very good, but not quite the magic carpet ride I was sort of expecting, although over the past week and 500miles they have settled in and I would say are significantly better than my first couple of rides on then and especially so over very rough roads. Worth £1295? I bought these as a long term investment so ask me in 5 years and if still as good as today then deffo.

My original shocks were on 53k and although seals hadn't leaked they had lost most damping ability and bike pogo'd around and clattered and banged on rough stuff including the traction control kicking in under acceleration on rough surfaces as the back end bounced around so much. Obviously all this is gone now and the orange springs do look cool.

Service at Revs is second to none and I enjoyed looking at the tasty Yamahas at Streetbike even if the coffee and food there is a bit, umm,....of a certain taste.

they will soften up after a thousand miles or so, and should be much improved.

this is very obvious after having a set serviced.

Got mine booked in for new shocks lowered 55mm at Revs July 14th a bit of a trip up, but will let me have a trip out and get to know the bike

I had a pair fitted last week and about the same sentiments as cafemaestro. Good, Very good, but not quite the magic carpet ride I was sort of expecting, although over the past week and 500miles they have settled in and I would say are significantly better than my first couple of rides on then and especially so over very rough roads. Worth £1295? I bought these as a long term investment so ask me in 5 years and if still as good as today then deffo.

My original shocks were on 53k and although seals hadn't leaked they had lost most damping ability and bike pogo'd around and clattered and banged on rough stuff including the traction control kicking in under acceleration on rough surfaces as the back end bounced around so much. Obviously all this is gone now and the orange springs do look cool.

Service at Revs is second to none and I enjoyed looking at the tasty Yamahas at Streetbike even if the coffee and food there is a bit, umm,....of a certain taste.

they will soften up after a thousand miles or so, and should be much improved.

this is very obvious after having a set serviced.

So, 2000miles after fitting them I have to say they are fantastic. Definitely softened up a tad and now silky smooth and just allow me to get on riding the bike. No chattering over rough surfaces or lurching and crashing over big holes. And especially a delight with a fully loaded pillioned bike. Worth £1295? I am beginning to think so and if they stay this good for 5 years then I would say definitely.

"The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"

Can only second the positive comments here re Wilbers and Revs.
Sourced a 2nd hand pair for c £550 (thanks Bryn!) and they're Brylliant!
(See what I did there?:D)

Latest Update

Have now ridden a further 500 miles+ on the Wilbers WESA shocks.

1. Earlier comments about improvements over time are correct - It is a bit subjective, but the ride is feeling plusher and the bike more composed over rough roads. Suspension is feeling more and more capable and composed. You can feel the quality sir!
2. WESA settings initially seemed a bit samey with no really noticeable difference between comfort and norm settings. After playing with the full range of settings and pre-loads, cycling through the full range a few times, it seems to have loosened up and now you can feel the changes (and they are good!)

In short, the more you use it the better it seems to get - it does seem like you need to operate the shocks and WESA through some full cycles for while to really free them up.

Am already forgetting how much I paid! :)

Back
Top Bottom