Waypoints and silent via points

John you say Quote (Because I am interested in what others do I tried creating a route using the routing tool which had no destination waypoint but had another via point instead. That route did not transfer correctly, some of the via points were missing and the route reverted to a more direct but less interesting version. When I changed the destination to a waypoint the route transferred intact. Maybe there isn't an answer)
this is the reason i posted a couple of routes up as i was expecting some one to say yes they work perfectly with no missing via points or sorry it doesnt work its got some of the via points missing, Then i would at least get an idea of what works with what. I also realise that you can not test these routes to the full, but you could have tested for the issue of missing via points and that would have helped me, as i do routes for others and i dont want the same issue. and i am pretty certain you could post a route up that gives the issue you are describing without including someones private details this would enable me to actually see if the problem exists for me.

John you say Quote (Because I am interested in what others do I tried creating a route using the routing tool which had no destination waypoint but had another via point instead. That route did not transfer correctly, some of the via points were missing and the route reverted to a more direct but less interesting version. When I changed the destination to a waypoint the route transferred intact. Maybe there isn't an answer)
this is the reason i posted a couple of routes up as i was expecting some one to say yes they work perfectly with no missing via points or sorry it doesnt work its got some of the via points missing, Then i would at least get an idea of what works with what. I also realise that you can not test these routes to the full, but you could have tested for the issue of missing via points and that would have helped me, as i do routes for others and i dont want the same issue. and i am pretty certain you could post a route up that gives the issue you are describing without including someones private details this would enable me to actually see if the problem exists for me.

Your routes downloaded and appear intact as does a route I just made locally. This could mean that the issue I had was to do with the car device but I can't test that right now as SWMBO uses the car for work. When she gets home I will extract the route from the car device and transfer it to the 390. I will let you know what happens.

Obviously I can test a local route to see what happens, I would love to test yours too but I can't see that happening soon. Right now I am waiting for DVLA to sort out the re registering of my bike after my return from living in Austria. Until that comes though the bike has to stay in the garage.

John

so if i read it right, you have tried one of my routes and one of your own on your bike sat nav and it does not lose any via points or shaping points like it does on your car device, if correct we appear to be nailing the issue down a bit, and it maybe nothing to do with the routes. This is good to know.

leedude03 - I have 3 cups in front of me under one of them is the ball - which cup is the ball under..........:blast :):)

I am convinced some people ask for help and then are constructively deceptive......:nenau

leedude03 - I have 3 cups in front of me under one of them is the ball - which cup is the ball under..........:blast :):)

I am convinced some people ask for help and then are constructively deceptive......:nenau

I bet the ball is in your pocket (you crafty devil):D:beerjug:

so if i read it right, you have tried one of my routes and one of your own on your bike sat nav and it does not lose any via points or shaping points like it does on your car device, if correct we appear to be nailing the issue down a bit, and it maybe nothing to do with the routes. This is good to know.

Looks that way. Car device is a 2497 bought in Austria in 2014. Both device software and maps are up to date. Bike device is a 390 also bought in Austria last year. Both devices are in mass storage mode to allow them to function correctly with Mapsource. It now looks like they handle transferred routes differently. If such differences exist it might help others if we know which units behave in which way. Do older units like the 660 do this for instance?

I remain interested in why Mapsource routes now work in this way. My memory might not be what it used to be but I seem to remember that it created more waypoints when a route was transferred to the device than it does now. It certainly didn't used to remain silent! Since Mapsource hasn't been updated for some time this must be down to changes in the device software.

Posing a question does not always mean I need an answer, sometimes informed discussion is enough. We can all learn from each other and, as I said before, there is no one right way to plan a route. I have tried using routes with no waypoints before and have run into problems but I respect the views of others who say they work. I will try again, the worst that can happen is it goes pear shaped and I just revert to my tried and tested method. Who knows I might become a convert!

John

Seriously Chaps

Does it matter if they are way points, proximity points, shaping points or any sort of points you want to call them.

If the route works it works. Just do it the best way you know how to achieve a working route.

Seriously Chaps

Does it matter if they are way points, proximity points, shaping points or any sort of points you want to call them.

If the route works it works. Just do it the best way you know how to achieve a working route.

That would do it for me redrick, but questions were posed and assumptions made, and i do like to try and help people, and get to the bottom of issues, mainly to just learn about things as i certainly will never know it all.

John as i and many others including yourself have said, there is no right and wrong way its all down to what works for that person. We all have our own ways of doing things, the same applies to software, you like mapsource others like basecamp, i would not presume to tell anyone to use this or that, or that you are doing it the wrong way.
What i will do is try and help people just like yourself and many others on this site do, problems arise all the time and as devices and software become more complicated read (better) it becomes almost impossible to keep up with the changes and problems that these new products bring.

John as i and many others including yourself have said, there is no right and wrong way its all down to what works for that person. We all have our own ways of doing things, the same applies to software, you like mapsource others like basecamp, i would not presume to tell anyone to use this or that, or that you are doing it the wrong way.
What i will do is try and help people just like yourself and many others on this site do, problems arise all the time and as devices and software become more complicated read (better) it becomes almost impossible to keep up with the changes and problems that these new products bring.

I don't think you and I are that far apart. Yes I prefer Mapsource but I have replied to Basecamp users several times offering help with those tasks I can cope with in Basecamp. I do suggest that those who know how to use Mapsource and struggle to get to grips with Basecamp can continue to use Mapsource. Those who are committed Basecamp users I salute and only offer help on those few occasions where I am able to assist.

I started this thread because I am interested in how the systems work. For me, and I fully accept this might not apply to others, the only benefit of using Basecamp I could see was the ability to silence all those annoying messages about approaching points on the route. I now find that Mapsource and my 390 does this for me without having to go through every point on Basecamp.

I am not sure I fully agree with what you are saying about things becoming more complicated and it being impossible to keep up. Of course I agree with the fact that systems are more sophisticated and we cannot all understand the technicalities of how the software does what it does. I do think, though, that good software should make thing easier despite the background complications. To me it is a bit like comparing a modern bike, packed full of electronics, to a vintage model. The old bike is in fact more challenging to operate with all sorts of knobs and levers (choke, advance/retard, manual oilers etc) not found on a modern bike. The modern bike has all the advantages of years of development but is easier to use than its predecessor. I think good routing software should be like that modern bike, simple to operate but with lots of wonderful stuff taking care of things unobtrusively in the background.

John

Back
Top Bottom