Clutch Slave Cylinder

AndyJW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It seems from reading the forum, that the most common reason for having to change the clutch on the 1150GS is not due to it wearing out, but due to leakage from the slave cylinder contaminating the clutch. Therefore since my bike is a 1999 model with 105000 miles and still on the original clutch and slave cylinder, would it be a good idea to make a pre-emptive change to a new slave cylinder before it does fail?
I always pop the bike into neutral when stopped for a few seconds to reduce the time the slave cylinder is operating, and regularly check the clutch fluid level and that it is clean, but am concerned that the slave will fail suddenly or when I am on a long trip. At around £100 for a new one they aren't cheap, but a lot cheaper than having to replace a clutch that may not be worn out.

Unless the bike already has the stainless clutch line (the early ones didn't) budget for changing that as the end of the original steel one will rust through next to the slave cylinder

They are fiddly to get to, but if you have an exhaust Y-piece it's easy enough once the rear wheel and shock are removed.
If the clutch fluid has been changed regularly it will most likely be fine.
However, the seal on the gearbox behind the slave can fail and dribble oil down the pushrod to the clutch. I believe an upgraded seal was used for later 1150's as when I changed mine it was a different colour (material).
You could just take it off and have a look? I cut a nick at the bottom of the paper gasket between the slave and gearbox, the theory being it will drip oil or clutch fluid from here and warn of failure before the clutch is trashed.

It seems from reading the forum, that the most common reason for having to change the clutch on the 1150GS is not due to it wearing out, but due to leakage from the slave cylinder contaminating the clutch.
Not in my experience - most simply wear out. I'd guess one in 30 is due to clutch slave cylinder failure. I'd say the gearbox seal that sits behind the slave cylinder is the main source of premature clutch failure when it leaks gearbox oil into the space where the slave cylinder sits . This oil then creeps along the clutch pushrod onto the clutch

Not in my experience - most simply wear out. I'd guess one in 30 is due to clutch slave cylinder failure. I'd say the gearbox seal that sits behind the slave cylinder is the main source of premature clutch failure when it leaks gearbox oil into the space where the slave cylinder sits . This oil then creeps along the clutch pushrod onto the clutch

I am pretty sure that's what happened to mine, oil contamination on the clutch. As well as the gearbox seal I replaced the slave cylinder while I was at it. Far easier at that stage than later I thought

John

Thanks for the replies and advice folks.
I think I will start getting the parts together to change the clutch, the gearbox oil seal, the hydraulic pipe as well as the slave cylinder in the not too distant future. I do go easy on clutches (I've never yet had to change a clutch in any of my cars despite doing over 170,000 miles in the last 2), so hopefully the bike's has still got plenty of life in it. Even if I don't get round to fitting them yet, at least I'll have them ready, and the parts can only go up in price in the future.

What are the symptoms of a worn out clutch - I assume a contaminated clutch will start to slip during hard acceleration, but still be useable for a while?

clutch

Thanks for the replies and advice folks.
I think I will start getting the parts together to change the clutch, the gearbox oil seal, the hydraulic pipe as well as the slave cylinder in the not too distant future. I do go easy on clutches (I've never yet had to change a clutch in any of my cars despite doing over 170,000 miles in the last 2), so hopefully the bike's has still got plenty of life in it. Even if I don't get round to fitting them yet, at least I'll have them ready, and the parts can only go up in price in the future.

What are the symptoms of a worn out clutch - I assume a contaminated clutch will start to slip during hard acceleration, but still be useable for a while?

soon slips in top gear know soon enough .

if 100£ is too much for you to spend on a new unit just buy a used one. I have 2 spares on my shelf just in case. they are all filled and only cost 30€ each. replaced mine at 125k kms for a used one and still running strong.

Back
Top Bottom