BMW R1200R lc(2015) Touring mode..........

wildoat

Reaction score
After owning my R1200r lc for a few months I'm really pleased with it, (Can't believe I've covered over 6000 miles in that time, lol). What I've discovered is the "R" is perhaps the most versatile of the new breed
of LC twins from the mothership.
Using it in the state in which I bought it, it is a great naked bike for the summer/warmer months and with the new addition of the National Cycle Z-Technik Stream screen I now also have a bike which I can use
in virtually any weather, particularly if I want to cover longer distances with more protection from the wind and a huge reduction at high speed of the dreaded wind noise. I use the BMW sport seat which is the highest option, so it's proved I need to add a couple of inches to my new
screen. This I've done with the addition of the Touratech screen spoiler(part No; 0440752), using this means I can travel with virtually no disturbance from wind noise and absolutely zero buffeting at and up to the bikes top speed!
I've included a photo for those interested, I can return the bike to naked mode in under five minutes, literally!
I would say to those who think the "R" is no good for long distance touring, perhaps you should think again knowing this option is available.

cheers
Tony

original.jpg

Lol I don't think so, it doesn't have the performance, handling or versatility of the "R".
Seriously a lot of people may think that but buy an RT and your stuck with it, it's a single purpose full on tourer, my R can do many things and suits me perfectly.

cheers
tony

Just a question on the Sport seat, how does it stand up to mileage and comfort for the backside?

for me it's a massive improvement on stock and I use it all the time.
It's firmer than the stock seat who's cushioning seems to collapse to almost nothing after a longish ride, obviously it's only temporary
but it doesn't afford much comfort. The firmer cushioning of the sport seat maintains it integrity better and always provides comfort regardless how long the journey, this is obviously just my opinion.
The sport seat has a non slip grippy surface which is much more appropriate for a motorcycle seat, the stock seat I slide around on it!
The sport seat allows a good couple of inches or so more legroom which improves the riding position for me.
It may be the case that seat comfort is also dependent on the weight and size of the rider, I'm 6'1" and sixteen stone or there about.

cheers
Tony

Wildoat , thanks for posting . I showed the (informative) post to a colleague in the office who is close to purchasing one.
WHat a truly gorgeous looking bike (you'd never say that about an RT heh ! )

The other (odd) think about the R is that it has a much nicer sound than my R1200GS, odd heh?

for me it's a massive improvement on stock and I use it all the time.
It's firmer than the stock seat who's cushioning seems to collapse to almost nothing after a longish ride, obviously it's only temporary
but it doesn't afford much comfort. The firmer cushioning of the sport seat maintains it integrity better and always provides comfort regardless how long the journey, this is obviously just my opinion.
The sport seat has a non slip grippy surface which is much more appropriate for a motorcycle seat, the stock seat I slide around on it!
The sport seat allows a good couple of inches or so more legroom which improves the riding position for me.
It may be the case that seat comfort is also dependent on the weight and size of the rider, I'm 6'1" and sixteen stone or there about.

cheers
Tony
:thumb2

I concur

I'm running the highest Sport seat on my RS and loving it. So much extra "bounce" in the seat itself. And I can still get my feet down no problem. My old knees need the maximum distance between my arse and the pegs.

I also added a taller Power Bronze screen that works well for my height and seating position.

:thumb2

I concur

I'm running the highest Sport seat on my RS and loving it. So much extra "bounce" in the seat itself. And I can still get my feet down no problem. My old knees need the maximum distance between my arse and the pegs.

I also added a taller Power Bronze screen that works well for my height and seating position.

Yea, that was my main concern ........

Wildoat.......I do like the look of that screen......too late for me as I've ordered a Givi Tallboy :blast .....but I also like the look of your tank bag and I haven't bought one yet.....which one are you using?

Mick..........kettle738

I've always thought about going for an R instead of a GS because they're half the bloody price used. Bottled it every time but good to know it's good for some decent Touring

nice setup, looks capable and a lot of fun

Looks perfect. Which tank bag is that, please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWMBO bought a new 'R' when I got my GS.
She has the low seat on it, which feels quite thinly padded. But she can ride for hours on it with no discomfort.
It's a great bike. I would happily have one if I wasn't so tall, my GS is more comfortable for my frame.

Wildoat.......I do like the look of that screen......too late for me as I've ordered a Givi Tallboy :blast .....but I also like the look of your tank bag and I haven't bought one yet.....which one are you using?

Mick..........kettle738

Sorry for the late response, it's a Givi XS308, works a treat for my camera gear, phone etc.
cheers
tony

SWMBO bought a new 'R' when I got my GS.
She has the low seat on it, which feels quite thinly padded. But she can ride for hours on it with no discomfort.
It's a great bike. I would happily have one if I wasn't so tall, my GS is more comfortable for my frame.

I have the low seat too, I could sit on it all day, it's really comfy. Although having a wee bum might be why:nod

Back
Top Bottom