Open or closed face for trip??

gingerbeemer08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm about to undertake an overland trip through Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan to do the silk road and Pamir highway.
I did the same trip last year and loved it!!

I'm after a bit of kit advice on one problem though.
We rode with open face peaked helmets last year that were great as you could really interact better with the locals, and you get that lovely wind-in-your-face feeling which is why we love bikes!
Only problem is, my nose got really wind/ sunburnt regardless of the buff I used and the factor 50 I put on!

My question is, would wearing a full face adventure lid (with a peak) cure this, or does anyone have any recommendations on other face masks etc that might help??

Appreciate this sounds a bit daft but being of the fair skinned ginger persuasion it really is an issue in the sun!!

Thanks all

This sort of thing?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 454
Go for a Shark Evoline - converts fully from full to open face and you have the drop down sun visor as well ;)

Open or closed, there is still sun. I think a full face would make the whole experience hotter. And may be the visor will act as a sort of magnifying glass?I'd prefer an open face and scarf

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Have a look at the Roof Boxers.

I have one, which is great for summer use. The chin bar flips right over the back, so you can pick and choose when you have open face or full face. It's also got a high safety rating both open and closed.

I may even use mine tomorrow, now I've thought about it.

Oh for heavens sake stop bragging, you've done the trip once, you don't need advice from here, most folk of which have never gone further than Brighton Beach :D

A good nose block sun cream and you're awayeeeeee :thumby:

:beerjug:

I hate flip fronts. They restrict your field of view and if your unlucky the extra weight makes most common type of motorcycle head injury worse.

Oh for heavens sake stop bragging, you've done the trip once, you don't need advice from here, most folk of which have never gone further than Brighton Beach

And many of those that went that far, only braved it after copious advice on what budgie smugglers to wear.

I loved my open face Schuberth C3 and prior to that all the 15 quid ones from all over India and Asia. The only problem I had was that I rode all the time with it flipped up which is great for saying hello to the locals but not so good when you're crashing. The only times it was down was when it was raining. I had a big off in the sand, luckily the impact wasn't face on and the helmet was written off. I was lucky then and now I wear a full face just in case of shit happening again. It´s a bit of an inconvenience but it takes little time to remove a helmet to confer with the locals.

Open, closed, flip - nobody can tell you which is safer so just toss a coin of chose the one you fancy.

I was more referring to the gravel/road rash one would get to the face/chin without having the chin guard down when riding flipped up. I´m sure they all have an equivalent high safety standard as they are helmets. Depending on where or how you ride might make the decision easier. A chin guard which is in flip mode is not a chin guard anymore.

Thanks all, Tried flip fronts before and they're just not for me unfortunately.
Someone suggested the factor stuff that cricketers use so think I'll try that, a buff and one of those funky nose covers that Kritou posted above!!
I'll post some pics en-route!

Spent a month around Namibia, Botswana and Zambia.....went from freezing cold early morning to hot humid. The only lid I would take is a Klim F4. Liner is great for the cold mornings otherwise venting is fantastic plus it has the added advantage of your face not being rearranged if you come off. Having had two fairly major offs, both as a result of hitting animals (bastards simply can't drive) and face planting the road only to be saved by the full face lid, my open faced day of riding are well and truly over. If you want a visor and something capable at higher speeds then the BMW Enduro fits the bill.

Back
Top Bottom