Benefits of goggles versus visor

Joe narvey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im thinking about buying another helmet. What are the claimed benefits of goggles over a visor?

I rode in the rain last weekend wearing a lid that I hadn't treated with rain repellant and it was pointless I had to ride visor up. It was my spare lid as I expected to fall off etc so no comments about treatment and pinlock required.

The big benefit is that goggles are better at keeping dust out of your eyes in a dusty environment. They're also less prone to misting in some circumstances but not necessarily so when you're sweating like the proverbial. They're also very good for reminding you how much rain, hail and flying insects hurt when they hit you on the nose.

The big benefit is that goggles are better at keeping dust out of your eyes in a dusty environment. They're also less prone to misting in some circumstances but not necessarily so when you're sweating like the proverbial. They're also very good for reminding you how much rain, hail and flying insects hurt when they hit you on the nose.

Thank you. I should have added that a whack in the face from a branch when visor up made me think about this.

Any experience of using both visor and goggles? ( obviously not at same time).

Thank you. I should have added that a whack in the face from a branch when visor up made me think about this.

Any experience of using both visor and goggles? ( obviously not at same time).

Yes. I did once use both at the same time on my Tour-X in Caiifornia with clear goggles and a black visor. Out in bright sunlight, I'd drop the visor over my goggles and then in dark, tree-lined goat tracks, I'd flip it up. You probably need to try a pair of goggles and see if they work for you.

I rode in the rain last weekend wearing a lid that I hadn't treated with rain repellant and it was pointless I had to ride visor up.

Did you try turning your head slightly from side to side in the time honoured method for clearing a visor? :nenau

I've never treated any visor I've used with rain repellant or used a pinlock, but then I don't expect to have the same level of visibility provided by a windscreen with wipers.

Did you try turning your head slightly from side to side in the time honoured method for clearing a visor? :nenau

I've never treated any visor I've used with rain repellant or used a pinlock, but then I don't expect to have the same level of visibility provided by a windscreen with wipers.

Oh yes, I shook it, I nodded, I agreed and disagreed. I took to riding visor up until being whacked in the face with a branch.

Pinlock and 'V' wipe work for me with a visor..

I have those on my main lid ( c3 pro) but didn't want to trash that kid going off road. So used my old lid. I'm now thinking I should buy a lightweight one for off road rather than be previous about the C3 with its comms, etc. I don't want flip up for off road.

Rather than googles, why not just use safety glasses.

Not prone to misting, offer eye protection, and can still be worn comfortably when visor is down.

I've a Nolan offroad helmet, its very light, and good value £99 but you need googles as it has no visor. I often uses safety glasses and carry googles in case its very dusty or cold

Goggles and an off road helmet will give greater "airspace" around your nose and mouth, so when you are working hard there is less chance of steaming up. Dust takes longer to infiltrate goggles. Rain, bugs and the occasional stone hurt like feck, and your nose gets colder quicker.
Visor and a road style helmet gives better rain/ debris protection, but once you start to breathe heavily even a pinlock will fail. If you are in dusty conditions, it gets under the chin bar and into your eyes very quickly. Against this it is far more convenient and comfortable than goggles.
Some people like the safety glasses/ visor combination for a compromise.
Good luck finding your preference.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom