RTLC ICONIC

Thanks guys.

Here is a link to the lock that I used. LOCK LINK

There are exact dimensions in THIS DOCUMENT.

The lock just happens to be the right depth to lock in place.
I experimented with lock height using some rubber washers and the best fit I found was to use the supplied spiked washer.

Fitting is a bit tricky- I wouldn't use a handheld drill, I used a drill press and made a guide block to drill through.
The lock hole is asymmetrical- 16mm at the thinnest point and 17.5mm at the thickest.
I drilled out for 10mm with a brad point bit and then used some dowel (I turned one on a lathe to go from 11 to 16mm) wrapped in 100 grit abrasive to go up to 16mm, then used some Herdim rasps to shape the asymmetrical shape.

Some people have seen this on the FB group but thought I'd post it here too.
I modified the GPS cowl on the bike to accept a cam lock that now means I can lock the GPS on the bike.
I was sick of taking it off each and every time I stopped the bike- paying for fuel, loo breaks etc.

I'd still be wary about leaving the GPS on the bike for long periods of time but this should stop a casual, opportunist thief.

I seem to recall that when the LC-RT came out, a tosser put a thread up to show how to make the central locking work to lock the satnav mount as well

I thought about trying to wire it into the central locking but figured it would be a lot of work and I didn't want to risk disabling the central locking on the rest of the bike inadvertently.
In theory it should just be splicing into the wiring for the gloveboxes and adding an actuator but my bike is brand- just didn't seem worth the risk for a fairly minimal gain over a traditional lock on the sat nav.

Decided to move on from the Iconic.

I did a couple of thousand miles on it and it became clear that the ergonomics weren't quite right for long days in the saddle.
Also, I've seen pictures of crashed RT's and then the repair bill.
Decided that I wasn't prepared to take the chance with the custom finish should the bike get knocked over in a car park or some other calamity.
I figured the longer I owned it the more likely something like that would happen.

Have a 2017 GSA Triple Black incoming.

So did you return it to standard, and remove your sat nav lock?

Nope- dealer didn't have a problem with it being there and didn't knock anything off the trade in.

I spent a bit of time today on my System 6 Evo helmet/Nav V/iPhone pairing.
If I remove the RT from the equation the quality of the audio massively improves- it is night and day.
Maybe not Autocom quality but certainly a hell of a lot better than going through the RT's onboard BT.

BMW need to sort out the RT's audio system- the current implementation was a significant PITA for me and part of the reason (although not the only reason) as to why I've traded the bike against a GSA.

Good result. When do you get your GS? Had a GS loaner a few weeks ago, really like them

Hi all just to introduce my self of 2nd owner of number 98/100 after trading my GS in for it beautiful bike only done 998 in 2 years in show room condition pick it up Thursday

Hi all just to introduce my self of 2nd owner of number 98/100 after trading my GS in for it beautiful bike only done 998 in 2 years in show room condition pick it up Thursday

Oh shit, number 98? :eek:

They got it fixed then? :augie

Why can you tell me what problems it had or are you joking picking it up 8.11.2018

As long as they polished all the scratches out, that’s all that matters. :thumb

I’m just pulling your leg!:D

Happy new bike. :beerjug:

Iconic

If anyone is thinking of selling their RTLC ICONIC please give me a call.

Thanks

Neil s
07974 811718

Back
Top Bottom