Honda Adventure Centre 06/07 October

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody else want to come and play in the welsh forest on 06/07 October.

Davy F, Jonathan P etc ?

I've just booked the 2 day course on the Africa Twin.

I know you can do the BMW version but for those of us that don't want or ride a GS and fancy doing it on a more capable offroad bike then come along !!

Details here

and a good taster here if you forward to 6 minutes in :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/him9-_vI0SY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anybody else want to come and play in the welsh forest on 06/07 October.

I know you can do the BMW version but for those of us that don't want or ride a GS and fancy doing it on a more capable offroad bike then come along !!

Can't resist having a dig can you !

Cool video. I quite fancy doing that but I think I really should do the beemer one first.

Why is that a dig ? The Africa Twin has been proven far more capable offroad than a GS.

Not that I care because I have never been off road but where is this proof to be found ?

Not that I care because I have never been off road but where is this proof to be found ?

In every comparative review published since the Africa Twin was launched !

Why are GS owners so fcuking blinkered ! No wonder the stereotypical image has developed !!!

In every comparative review published since the Africa Twin was launched !

Why are GS owners so fcuking blinkered ! No wonder the stereotypical image has developed !!!

Not blinkered at all. This is my first GS ever having owned 2 Yamahas, a Suzuki, a Honda and thrashing a loaner Kawasaki whilst the Suzuki was having its engine repaired which took over 11 weeks.

If I had to choose one out of all the others, it would be the GS because I like what it does and the way it does it and not because of any marketing bullshit. I'm sure you love your AT just like you loved the Kawasaki and the KTM that is coming. I doubt that when the KTM arrives you would choose the AT over it if you were setting off on a 3000 mile trip.

As has been said many times, we all like different things which doesn't mean that the others are shit, it's just personal preference. It just seems that in every post you make about a bike, you feel the need to put in some derogatory remark about the GS. Everybody knows your thoughts so why keep banging on about it ?

AT V GS

I have had them both and I like them both for different reasons. Comparing the AT to the GS is pointless they are designed to do different jobs. I have recently attended the Honda off Road school and completed the two day course and found it to be awesome. Could I have done the same course on my GS? Don't think so. Does that make the GS any worse? Not at all.

Not blinkered at all. This is my first GS ever having owned 2 Yamahas, a Suzuki, a Honda and thrashing a loaner Kawasaki whilst the Suzuki was having its engine repaired which took over 11 weeks.

If I had to choose one out of all the others, it would be the GS because I like what it does and the way it does it and not because of any marketing bullshit. I'm sure you love your AT just like you loved the Kawasaki and the KTM that is coming. I doubt that when the KTM arrives you would choose the AT over it if you were setting off on a 3000 mile trip.

As has been said many times, we all like different things which doesn't mean that the others are shit, it's just personal preference. It just seems that in every post you make about a bike, you feel the need to put in some derogatory remark about the GS. Everybody knows your thoughts so why keep banging on about it ?

I wasn't banging on about it,simply stating that more expert riders than you and I have placed the Africa Twin above the GS when offroad,especially the DCT model.
I'm pleased you like your GS.I liked mine,having owned 1100/1150 and 1200s.But the current LC models do nothing for me,but that's just personal taste.

As for whether I would take the 1290GT over the AT on a 3000 mile trip,then I would say that is highly unlikely,as the former would need a new rear tyre during the trip.And it would obviously depend where the trip destination was !
I'm off to the Hebrides and back next week and would be taking the Africa Twin even if the 1290GT was sat in my garage.But if it was July and I was off to Nurburgring/Cochem etc then the 1290 would get the nod.......

I have had them both and I like them both for different reasons. Comparing the AT to the GS is pointless they are designed to do different jobs. I have recently attended the Honda off Road school and completed the two day course and found it to be awesome. Could I have done the same course on my GS? Don't think so. Does that make the GS any worse? Not at all.

Exactly !

You are obviously a well paid pilot who can afford to have any number of bikes to ride. If you could only have one to do everything, like most people, I reckon you would take the KTM over the AT because it will be a much better road bike and could probably make a good fist on off roading as well.

FWIW, I think the KTM 1290 GT looks stunning but it would be too expensive for me, plus it's just too high off the ground as well.

I don't think the AT is a good enough all rounder to compete with the GS but some people think it is so fair enough.

Maybe you just like to "poke the hornets nest with a stick" for a bit of fun.

Edited to add:

If your going to ride some of Scotland's fabulous roads and you would rather take the AT over the KTM, then you have to question why the hell do you want the KTM at all !

Out of interest have you done the ORS (BMW) course?? The BMW is a very capable bike off road (even more so in the right hands), although getting stuck behind Nick Plumb who was on a GS at this years Brechfa Rally I was glad to be on a KTM as the final drive of the BMW was like an anchor in the deep mud and ruts - :rolleyes:

You are obviously a well paid pilot who can afford to have any number of bikes to ride. If you could only have one to do everything, like most people, I reckon you would take the KTM over the AT because it will be a much better road bike and could probably make a good fist on off roading as well.

FWIW, I think the KTM 1290 GT looks stunning but it would be too expensive for me, plus it's just too high off the ground as well.

I don't think the AT is a good enough all rounder to compete with the GS but some people think it is so fair enough.

Maybe you just like to "poke the hornets nest with a stick" for a bit of fun.

Edited to add:

If your going to ride some of Scotland's fabulous roads and you would rather take the AT over the KTM, then you have to question why the hell do you want the KTM at all !

Sorry but you are talking utter rubbish.You seriously think a KTM 1290GT could make a good fist of offroading ??? On Pirelli Angel GT tyres ??

1I31z5F.jpg

Good luck with that !!!! (not the skinny bint,the tyres that look sooo suited for offroading !! ):blast

And yes,I've been to Scotland a few times and where we are going the views are stunning but the roads are gnarly and not always the best surface,roads that the AT will eat up but the 1290 might not be best suited for.

Whereas roads like the Route Napoleon are the reason I want the 1290 GT-smooth,fast and with amazing corners.

Two totally different scenarios.Surely even you can see that ?

I previously just had my KTM 950 Super Enduro for quite a few years and that coped with everything.But now I'm single again and have had a few wake up calls,healthwise lately, I've decided to get a few toys,as there are no pockets in shrouds !!

Well I like BMW's ...

But not the shitty latest ones .:D

Ditto !!!

I'm sure I'll get another nice 1100 or 1150 in the future.But not a new one that you wouldn't dare ride out of warranty !!

The experience seems ideal as an extended test ride for anyone interested in buying one.

I'm up for this with my HK brother, who raves about his NC750x, but we'll both enjoy the Africa Twin experience. I'm quite experienced...at crashing GS's offroad and have enjoyed the luxury of engine protection (for my legs). It does concern me not having the leg protection, but hey we'll have a hoot.

I did the two day intermediate course recently on the AT. Dropped the bike in the first couple of hours as did everyone else. If you really want to know what these bikes will do this course is a must.

Out of interest have you done the ORS (BMW) course?? The BMW is a very capable bike off road (even more so in the right hands), although getting stuck behind Nick Plumb who was on a GS at this years Brechfa Rally I was glad to be on a KTM as the final drive of the BMW was like an anchor in the deep mud and ruts - :rolleyes:

This man knows of which he speaks (or literally writes!)

Back
Top Bottom