Which tracking device?

Losttheplot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get a tracker to fit to my CRF 250 x, so that should the worst happens (as seems to be happening to a lot of other people at present) i might stand a fighting chance of getting it back.

Tracking devices seem to range from items the size of key fobs to more focused offerings.

I have been looking at these:

http://www.back2you.com/compact-motorcycle-tracker.html

The product looks small enough that it could be concealed in the air box, yet if the blurb is to believed, is more than up to the job. I'm just struggling to find a spec for it's current draw. That said it wouldn't be a problem to leave the crf on a trickle charger.

Has anyone tried these, or other trackers? what is the accuracy like when following the tracker?

Thanks,

Nathan

There is only a couple of them that are worth a damn one of them being the actual tracker and they are expensive. Trouble is that the cheap ones when stuck in a van loose satellite lock so have no idea where they are. Plenty of them don't work buried in the middle of a bike never mind anything else. There is only a couple of them supported by the police as well. Without police support you stand no chance of getting any interest from them so that leaves it to you to go fetch or more likely end up in hospital. There are tons of reports of people tracking their bike across Europe and getting no interest from anyone.

Get a good insurance policy, a good lock to something immovable and leave it at that. No point spending good money in false hope.

I've used Automatics Mtrack - seems really good - the company are really helpful - useful because you fit it somewhere on the bike yourself. Haven't needed it since installing - but get notified by them if I mover the bike and haven't turned it off.
http://www.trackersecurity.co.uk/

I have a Bike Trac tracker fitted to my HP4.

It's good in that the monitoring calls / alerts are very rapid if the bike is moved (just a tiny distance) and / or if the bike's battery loses charge or is disconnected. It also works as a remote tracker as I was able to see the bike moving along in a van across London to Battersea when the bike broke down and whilst it sat in BMW's service site being repaired.

Of course I do not know if it would work to recover my bike following a theft as, thankfully, I have never had to test it. I am therefore convinced that the pound of butter I keep in my fridge to ward off elephants, is also effective at warding off bike theives.

Biketrac here also on my Ducati 899, not the cheapest solution, but they are pretty effective at returning stolen bikes within the hour. Try following them on facebook, and you will see when the recover bikes.

I also really like it when they track a stolen bike (or help the Police track it I should say), and find several stolen bikes in one place (that dont have trackers installed).

RBW.

I agree with Wapping, having had a GS knicked from inside my garage at home 4-6 weeks after getting it. My new one is fitted with Biketrac and I have tested it by moving the bike without the ignition on, removing the battery etc and have been contacted in minutes to advise me of it.

I have also had my bike fall off the side stand and the bike down feature notified the wife!

Much to my "pleasure" and the amount of explaining needed was not helpful :)

It's good in that the monitoring calls / alerts are very rapid if the bike is moved (just a tiny distance) and / or if the bike's battery loses charge or is disconnected. It also works as a remote tracker as I was able to see the bike moving along in a van across London to Battersea when the bike broke down and whilst it sat in BMW's service site being repaired.

Of course I do not know if it would work to recover my bike following a theft as, thankfully, I have never had to test it. I am therefore convinced that the pound of butter I keep in my fridge to ward off elephants, is also effective at warding off bike theives.

Does the tracker need to be installed by a professional? And what are the monthly subscription charges?

Thanks

Vines in Guildford charge £350 for the BikeTrac installation and i think its £99 per year subscription

Vines in Guildford charge £350 for the BikeTrac installation and i think its £99 per year subscription

Much more reasonable than Tracker - I had one on my HP4 too, but it was thankfully never put to the test. It took the technician half a day to install it (I know because he did the job at my home) removing all sorts of parts off the bike to get it tucked away. I think I might have a look at BikeTrac. Cheers.

Back2you did have a Facebook group buy, don't know if it is still valid.

http://www.back2you.com/compact-motorcycle-tracker-57.html

This type of tracker has a default 'fence' of 200 metres to reduce false alarms caused by loss of satellite signal. The 'fence' can be set to whatever distance you want. Sounds like these are not perfect but surely better than nothing.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom