BMW NAV V...or 660? Why the price difference?

dommiek

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'd like to buy a sat nav for my 1200LC Adv and wondering why the BMW unit in double the price of a 660? I understand they are the same units and the 660 will fit into the bmw cradle. I'm buying a TE model so have the control wheel already fitted.
Which one should I buy and what's the advantage of the BMW one? I currently have a Zumo 220.

the 660 is not compatible with the scroll wheel, and other than a few minor changes to the BMW GUI thats it.

The Zumo 660 is pretty much the same unit as the BMW Nav 4 and a good few years old now. It will fit in the new bike cradle, but you don't have the functionality the Nav 5 brings to the newer bikes systems.

I'd like to buy a sat nav for my 1200LC Adv and wondering why the BMW unit in double the price of a 660? I understand they are the same units and the 660 will fit into the bmw cradle. I'm buying a TE model so have the control wheel already fitted.
Which one should I buy and what's the advantage of the BMW one? I currently have a Zumo 220.

Bit like why Windows 10 when XP does the same job the Nav V has a better screen so is easier to read for the older (half Blind) user its faster and offers a lot of functionality on the newer bikes

The comparable Garmin model to the Nav V is the Zumo 390/395, not the 660. Big difference inside and larger screen outside.

The comparable Garmin model to the Nav V is the Zumo 390/395, not the 660. Big difference inside and larger screen outside.

Really, whats the big difference inside serious question for future reference.

Apologies - I mean't the 590 not the 390.

THIS gives you a pretty good side-by-side comaprison of various models and specs.

I think you mean 590/595 and they don't work with wonder wheel nor possibly fit cradle( well they don't on the big K's)

Guess it depends on what you gonna use it for?

The occasional trip somewhere new or backup for getting lost the 660 with new maps will lock to the bike and draw current from the LC cradle on the GS.

If you want a all the bells and whistles and going to ride from here to Russia and back, the Nav V is probably what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy B, that's not a particularly good reference. There's load of things on there the 590Lm will do that are marked with an x...?

My old 660 does it for me on a jacked up BM cradle :thumb2

I don't have a jog wheel. Don't take phone calls. Don't play music. Don't need told when to turn.
Don't get to see lots of less than useful on-the-road data.

Shucks, I'll just survive with the map and enough useful information to get me from A to B and home again.

Save the difference for fuel and beer :)

The only difference noticeable is the wheel thingy doesnt work with the 660, otherwise it fits in the cradle fine. The 660 whilst not the moist recent model is a good unit, ive had one since 2010 and its never given any trouble, highly recommended.

As I understand it its a bit more than rebranding and a different base O/S on the outside yes the 660 and NAV4/5 are almost identical in form factor. The BMW variant however has extra physical connectivity and an updated O/S to support both the jog wheel and the BMW data interface. I considered both options however my Dealer will sort me out a brand new with NAV5 for near as dammit £500. I spent nigh on £15k for my bike I figured the difference in cost for the benefits I want are minimal. If you are looking for a used unit then yes the 660 is a good buy in comparison to the BMW variant.

It looks as though there is a Nav VI about to be launched, so hang fire for a few weeks and look for good deals on the Nav V. I too have a Zumo 220 (still use it on my Guzzi) but the Nav V is a big improvement in comparison. The screen in particular is much better. The scroll wheel function is surprisingly useful - I like to have the zoom level controlled manually, and the scroll wheel is perfect for this. Zoom in when threading through a town or city with complex junctions, zoom out if looking for a diversion around a hold up, zoom in a bit in the mountains to get an idea of what lies around the next bend...

The locking mount is also handy - I wouldn't trust it for overnight use, but its fine when leaving the bike to pay for fuel.

As I understand it its a bit more than rebranding and a different base O/S on the outside yes the 660 and NAV4/5 are almost identical in form factor. The BMW variant however has extra physical connectivity and an updated O/S to support both the jog wheel and the BMW data interface. I considered both options however my Dealer will sort me out a brand new with NAV5 for near as dammit £500. I spent nigh on £15k for my bike I figured the difference in cost for the benefits I want are minimal. If you are looking for a used unit then yes the 660 is a good buy in comparison to the BMW variant.

As said wait for the Nav VI for a few pounds more.

Nav V is a great bit of kit, but not as reliable as the venerable 660.

It's an expensive game - always chasing the latest tech........

Unless you are feeling particularly flush - get a S/H 660, keep for 2yrs, and then sell and get a S/H Nav V......:rob

Al

Nav V is a great bit of kit, but not as reliable as the venerable 660.

It's an expensive game - always chasing the latest tech........

Unless you are feeling particularly flush - get a S/H 660, keep for 2yrs, and then sell and get a S/H Nav V......:rob

Al

Available March. Keep it indefinitely.
No need to replace it but wiser to get the most up to date model available from the word go if funds allow

Back
Top Bottom