Ultrasonic cleaning

daylyons

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,

has anyone purchased a cost-effective ultrasonic parts cleaner (in the region of £100) that they could recommend. I am not happy with the thought of posting bits of Bing out to some firm for cleaning.

danke

day

Lots of people on the Kawasaki two stroke ( read gummed up carbs) rate the Maplins products.

Maplins

Lots of people on the Kawasaki two stroke ( read gummed up carbs) rate the Maplins products.

Good man Steve, the Maplins site shows such a device for £99.99 (you were 1 p out!) and the reviews are promising. I shall purchase such a thing without delay.

thanks for your prompt and useful response.

day

I managed to convince my misses she needed one for xmas few years ago for her jewellery, I store it in my work shop and keep it safe for her:D
I got it form eBay £35, I can just about get a carb in, works a treat. It's the chemicals you use that's the key,

I bought a no name 3lt ultrasonic cleaner off eBay and it works a treat. The biggest test was a carb that had stood for 12 years, and it brought it up spotless. I would say get the biggest one you can get for the cost you're happy with, and the heated ones seem to work better too.

Plus the wife jewellery has come a treat too...............also glasses, waterproof watch, penknives, spanners, keys, potato peeler.
It gets quite addictive when you first get one.

Lidl do they every so often at <£30. I service scuba regs and the dive forum mentions the performance at being good.

Some of the cheaper ones are little more than parts shakers. You really need one with a proper transducer and a heater. Mine is a 27 litre 8 transducer unit. To be honest most of the time I wish I had a smaller one as it costs a fortune in chemicals to fill it.

The cleaning fluid that Marlin sells is excellent. If you just want to knock the muck off something then fairy liquid works well but does leave a salty residue that needs wiping off with a cleaner.

......... Mine is a 27 litre 8 transducer unit. To be honest most of the time I wish I had a smaller one as it costs a fortune in chemicals to fill it.....

Is it solids or dissolved contaminants that are the issue Rob? If the former a decent 10", 10micron (yes I know I'm mixing imperial and metric but that is how they are known in the trade) nominal filter only costs a fiver or so. It will remove all visible particulates. Get a housing and a small pump to recirculate it and you might significantly extend the life of your solution for not a lot of money.

I managed to convince my misses she needed one for xmas few years ago for her jewellery, I store it in my work shop and keep it safe for her:D
I got it form eBay £35, I can just about get a carb in, works a treat. It's the chemicals you use that's the key,

Warm pickling vinegar works well :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom