Touratech toolbox mount for LC without GSA pannier frames

Roadrash Rider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just got an email from NN with this in, looks interesting, if it's quick to take the brackets on and off might be useful, only use the panniers a couple of times a year anyway.

Only worry I would have looking at the front of the box is how close it looks to the swing arm, or maybe it's just the angle in the photo, no price yet so bet it makes your eyes water when they do get them in stock.

cbdcf8dc39958527d404e2e30b51a672.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got an email from NN with this in, looks interesting, if it's quick to take the brackets on and off might be useful, only use the panniers a couple of times a year anyway.

Only worry I would have looking at the front of the box is how close it looks to the swing arm, or maybe it's just the angle in the photo, no price yet so bet it makes your eyes water when they do get them in stock.

There certainly looks to be a clearance issue. The bike is on the centre stand. JJH

Clearance shouldn't be an issue as it looks like they use the OE pannier fixing points!

Can't see why it should be more expensive than the current pannier frame mounted version £102.00. I think that's quite reasonable given some of the other options available..

https://shop.touratech.co.uk/toolbo...se-carrier-bmw-r1200gs-r1200gs-adventure.html

GS Emotion version (£100)
http://www.bmwgsemotion.com/accinglc.html

Cymark version (£130)
http://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/bmw-r1200gsa-pannier-fitted-toolbox-94-p.asp

I have one fitted to a GSA. Seems to be OK. I previously had a rugged roads one fitted to an aircooled GSA, fits on the other side. It would touch the mudguard when the suspension compressed if the bike was heavily loaded.

Chris

I have one fitted to my R1150GS Adventure. They're not designed to fit on the 1150, but I slightly modified the brackets to make it fit on the rack for my aluminium panniers.

The swingarm moves more than you think. Mine is mounted about a foot above the rear mudguard and after my first trip green laning, fulling loaded with camping gear, I found scrapes on the mudguard and toolbox from where they fouled on each other. I had to adjust the position of the toolbox by a few millimetres to allow the mudguard to pass up inside it. I just hadn't been too bothered about the exact position because I never expected the swingarm to come up that high.

The toolbox is expensive for what it is, but I wanted a small toolbox to fit near the rear wheel, opposite the exhaust, so that I could keep my puncture kit, pump, spare bulbs etc in there to save space in my topbox. I was going to build something, and then saw that Touratech made one exactly as I was planning, so bought it. I figured you wouldn't have much change from the price of it if you bought materials and built one yourself.

Contacted touratech, 2 different answers, 3 different prices, £102, £113 & £122 all verbally..
Confusion if they need the GSA pannier frames so I'll wait till the confusion is sorted.

I don't know if this helps but I have one fixed on the standard pannier frames of my GSA. From the top corner of the box to the underside of the silver seat base measures 65mm. From the bottom corner of the box down to the middle of the hollow axle is 340mm.:thumb

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,622
The TT on the GS by the way was my handiwork on my GS which is now on the safe hands of a good friend! I guess I would say this - the TT box is very 'shiny' but it's made of plastic and not the most durable - other than that a good place for sandwiches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The TT on the GS by the way was my handiwork on my GS which is now on the safe hands of a good friend! I guess I would say this - the TT box is very 'shiny' but it's made of plastic and not the most durable - other than that a good place for sandwiches!

Hi Mark

Have you made a set of brackets to mount your toolbox on a GS without GSA luggage frames?

All the best

Andy

Sent using Tapatalk

It’s states this bracket are for the GS and GSA but only says you will not have to fit your panniers, totally non descriptive which panniers the aluminium ones or the Vario ones, NN description are as much use as a chocolate fire guard. So will this fit the GS so the Vario panniers can still be fitted or is this just for the framed pannier set setups

Sorry guys and yes, Andy, I do make brackets to mount the TT toolbox but not mine. Haven’t quite figured out why yet but should find the answer at the bottom of this current bottle........

Ah I know - I didn’t like the idea of it at the time! The only reason I designed something was that Nippy Norman asked me to for the TT box!

Dear waybehind - for clarity you can’t fit your vario panniers if you’ve got the TT box fitted. If you’ve got the aluminium ones (and the rails that support them) you CAN fit either the TT box or my box and still fit your panniers. I’ve tested both and it’s true!

Back
Top Bottom