That Applecross Itch #3

Deleted account Cooperman

Reaction score
Bollocks to google - hello Photobucket :cool:

Ullapool_zpsmsb92kvt.jpg

Whenever you talk to any biker about touring Scotland you always get the question 'Ah - but have you done Applecross Pass?' Not having done so it was an itch that needed scratching.

We were a party of 2, one on an RS and my first real run on a KTM SA.

Dons%20Bridge_zpsfckxq9xu.jpg

Anticlockwise was the plan.

McTrip2016_zps2xcjjegu.jpg

For a change we came off the A1 early onto the A68 at Darlington, setting off early to miss the traffic. We were soon in the borders but too early for any Scottish breakfast stops who were all still asleep :sleep
So with empty stomachs we then had a traditional inclement Scottish welcome coming through Edinburgh and up to Perth :flag Fortunately from there things dried up and we got to warm the tyres up across a dry Cairngorms :thumb2

P5270274_zpsnozp9zjh.jpg

P5270277_zpsdjjybyzt.jpg

As annual alpine skiers it was interesting to see Scotland's offering. I think we will stick to the Alps :augie

A passing friendly wave :thumb

P5270276_zps36bmoyqq.jpg

We were staying in Ballater just beyond Braemar. As we descended off the hills the SA started squeaking, audible from both bikes :eek: Nothing was immediately evident and whilst Mr RS took the piss about the problems of having a chain I was comforted with the fact I had been very generous with the lube before we set off. Something to sleep on.

P5270280_zps214whkov.jpg

Ballater was caught in the Christmas floods. The local Indian is still closed which was a shame.

The next morning having reflected my lube may have been washed off by the Scottish welcome I nipped over the the MTB shop and secured a solution.

IMG_1354_zpspynlx2rg.jpg

A liberal application later and hey presto - no more squeaks. Bloody chains :rolleyes:

The exit from the Cairngorms across the whiskey and salmon fishing areas could not have been bettered. The temperature rose and stayed near 20 degrees for the rest of the trip :Motomartin

A bit industrial above Inverness.

P5280285_zpsbajmqu9r.jpg

We then cut across from east to west heading to Ullapool. The road was a bit slow with passing places.

P5280290_zps2o5maaz1.jpg

P5280292_zpsdwykacdx.jpg

The descent into Ullapool.

P5280293_zpsrzvt6amk.jpg

Saturday night in Ullapool is an experience. It was like a comedy sketch about a town full of drunks. In the FBI the barman was more pissed than the customers :beer:

Great views but not a place we would rush back to.

P5290297_zpsn69imkyw.jpg

P5290300_zpsp5vx5aa0.jpg

P5290298_zpsv57ntreq.jpg

A misty start to the next day and our visit to Applecross. What an experience. I will let the photos do the talking.

P5290303_zpsxbwyyu0t.jpg

Shieldaig%20Panarama_zps2fzr48bm.jpg

Skye%20In%20The%20Distance_zps5qf4oi9l.jpg

Ullapool_zpsmsb92kvt.jpg

P5290313_zpshhatp1ox.jpg

P5290307_zps4uv43ndo.jpg

P5290314_zpsbxb1qynu.jpg

We stayed in Fort William and were looking forward to the road back from the Mallaig ferry. Be warned, unless you have booked you will be lucky to get on the ferry :mad:

Staying away from motorways we elected to head down to the Hunters Quay ferry and come across Dumfries and Galloway. The road down to the ferry from Fort Bill is a gem :D

P5300325_zpssbxlmoxy.jpg

Then a cheeky unplanned stop in Bowness which backfired as this was the last room in the Inn :inlove

IMG_1353_zpsjff66iiu.jpg

With the weather playing game this turned out to be a great trip :thumby:

How did I get on with the SA? One photo sums it up :green gri

IMG_1352_zpsnlxt06pz.jpg

Great pics , love the St Andrews cross in the reflection of the yacht. Superb !

Very much appreciated that, some fond memories of one of my trips up to Scotland. You had a little more Sun than us:D Thanks for posting:beerjug:

Sorry to hear about your experience in Ullapool - I've always found it to be a great destination, especially since trawlers stopped landing there.

Al

Really enjoyed that - especially with all the photos.

I have received a severe telling off :rob from a Scot :scotsman for putting an e in whisky, a heinous crime :whip worse than water in a malt :eek:

Pah!

Any good malt needs one drop of hill water to release the oils/ flavour... try it yourself, one dram without and one with one drop..literally one drop of water. Some stronger malts may need a couple of drops.

Back
Top Bottom