Idling problem

seahorse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an F650GS twin which has for the last few weeks has been having issues with rough idling and sometimes stalling. The bike is used as a commuter from St. Albans into central London. Typically once I get into London traffic the idle when stopped at lights for example, will sometimes feel a bit rough and on occasion will just die completely. Restarting is never a problem. This will happen to some degree on every journey. Last week after leaving work it would not idle at all so the ride home was interesting! I booked it in at SBW as it is covered by extended warranty and used my 1200 for a few days. After they had it all day yesterday I was told that they had not managed to reproduce the fault so were unable to diagnose. Taking loan bike back this morning and getting mine back so will know later how it is performing, although my hopes aren't high.
Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?

Could be oxygen sensor? Mine did it first a little while but has stopped. Showed up as a oxygen sensor fault once hooked up to the computer. But it was cleared and not come back since.

I checked with my GS911 and 3 lambda errors have been logged. Mentioned this to dealer but last one was a couple of weeks ago, not present at the moment. They have suggested it may be fuel and to try some different petrol stations. Not convinced but worth a try.

Hi
I am having the same issue but travelling in Canada at present and nearest BMW dealer is too busy to fit me in for a diagnostics check. If your bike had been serviced recently with the airbox off then a kinked idle bypass hose might be a possibility. A gummed up/failing idle actuator control is another option. A good discussion is here: http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/50935-Idle-Control-Idle-Actuator-Air-Bleed-Circuit
Interested in hearing how you get on in case it's a clue to my issues (not kinked hoses in my case as we've checked).

I have read all of that and plenty more trying to research this issue! Despite SBW being unable to replicate the fault, sure enough the next day on the way in to work same as usual. I have had a go at cleaning the IAC from inside the airbox which seemed to help a little, but the fault is still there. Hoses were fine but as the bike is a 2012 it should have the revised ones anyway. I also had a brief spell where it wouldn't idle at all but after stopping for a few mins and restarting it was ok again. This has now been going on for a couple of months so is becoming a bit tedious

Ive had the same problem recently, lambda sensor was showing readings all over the shop and fuel economy was awful, new lambda fitted and it's all back to hunky dory :D

Checked with my GS911 today and no lambda sensor error codes since the bike was last was in at dealers.

An update in case it helps anyone. Took the idle actuator out and cleaned crap off the end. Seems to have worked.

Coil Problem

Had the same sort of problem - running slightly rough/rich and stalling on overrun.
After many hours of testing and investigation, a new idle actuator and new spark plugs, my issue was resolved by replacing one of the coils which had apparently suffered water damage.
Feels much smoother now :thumb

Thanks for the update Seahorse. Now that I have the bike back from Canada, I've been able to investigate properly. A smear of muck on the flat face of the idle actuator (where the "piston" starts to taper) seemed to be my issue. A good clean up of the airbox and the actuator and she's now idling happily without cutting out. Hopefully, smooth running will continue. Although the plugs looked fine, I put in some iridium replacements and a new air filter too while I had the airbox off.

Back
Top Bottom