Engine issues?

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mornin all,
Just after a bit of info pls...
I am thinking about changing my RT for a GS or possibly a ktm 1190 but seem to remember reading something somewhere about engine issues with the ktm?:nenau
Can anyone tell me what the issues are please before I take the plunge. There is a 14 plate with full luggage etc for sale almost on my doorstep but I just want to get the full picture first.
Thanks

Not sure about engine problems but the 1290SA I rode got very hot under the seat (on my legs) from the exhaust and I believe the 1190 is worse?

I guess you are thinking of the potential air box issue which can let dirty air bypass the filter and enter into the engine resulting in the need for a top end rebuild.

Loads of info over on adventure rider.

If the bike looks like it has been used a lot off road then may be a problem - if mainly on road then should not be a major issue.

If worried get the owner to take off the tank and show you the inside of the air box (but allow a good hour to do this!).

2015 bikes have a different design which at least partially reduces the problem.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/370801-1190-Airbox-issues

Thanks fellas- I think it was probably the air box/ head rebuild issue.
After looking at video on youtube it looks like the lid isn't stiff enough and/or have enough screws to hold it down properly in my opinion.

Had a test ride on the R1200RS yesterday- fantastic bike that managed to hide it's weight very well and felt almost telepathic the way it changed direction and tipped into corners when compared to my RT, but not fantastic enough to make me want to order one hence the GS/ KTM search.
Cheers

Have you ridden an 1190 yet?

You can still get brand new 2015 bikes for £10,995 which is something to consider before buying a second hand 2014 model ;)

The 2015 models come with the "improved" air box design and uprated starter motor as well :D

Have a read through the 'tell me about your 1190' & 'airbox' threads in the 1190 section on here for more detail - should give you a good feel for the bikes.

Andres

Have you ridden an 1190 yet?

You can still get brand new 2015 bikes for £10,995 which is something to consider before buying a second hand 2014 model ;)

The 2015 models come with the "improved" air box design and uprated starter motor as well :D

Not ridden one yet. Will have a search for the new ones. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom