What size Aluminium Panniers for BMW R1150 GS?

tommyleyland

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm looking at buying some aluminium panniers for my R1150GS from someone in Germany, he has 3 sizes:

32 Litre (24x49x37cm)
36 Litre (27x49x37cm)
41 Litre (29,5x49x37cm)

I'm looking to use the GS every day but have some large trips planned (2 of us on the bike) like Africa and Large Euro-trip.

I'm torn on what sizes to get, don't want too big for rideability and definitely not too small for space.

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at the Kappa K Venture K37 metal panniers, they are a good compromise on size and they also do a 58Litre top box to match . Kappa is made by Givi only better priced.

Doesn't the 1150GS' exhaust dictate that the left pannier be smaller, in order to preserve balance?

Even if only for aesthetics, I'd be going 41l right, 36l left.

I have removed the stock exhaust and have a stubby exhaust on there now so I can have even sizes. I was thinking of the 32ltr as they're 9" wide but maybe the 36ltr would be a good middle ground?

Ah. Then yep - two 36l is what I'd go for.

But be prepared to revisit your decision when you see what Mrs tommyleyland wants to pack for that 2-up trip... :thumb

Maybe the rule for putting manners on passenger's bike-trip luggage aspirations should be:

1. Bike-necessary stuff (spares, tools) takes priority over the rider's & passenger's personal stuff.
2. Camping stuff (tent, sleeping, cooking) takes next priority.
3. Whatever remaining space in the panniers (& top box, if used) is split 50/50 between rider's & passenger's personal stuff.
4. Anything more that the passenger wants to take than can fit in that remaining pannier/top-box space gets carried in a backpack on the passenger's back...

Happy holidays...:thumb

Have a look at the Kappa K Venture K37 metal panniers, they are a good compromise on size and they also do a 58Litre top box to match . Kappa is made by Givi only better priced.

Just fitted this setup to my 1150 - Kappa panniers exactly the same as the Outback Trekkers apart from the way they fit to the frames. Very pleased with the result.

Back
Top Bottom