BMW Hella Plug or a DIN socket for heated clothing?

Magicmat

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im trying to power a heated jacket for the Mrs on my S1000XR,

Will a bmw Hella (?) connector do this, or will i need a feed directly from the battery?

such as an oxford DIN?

2843.jpg

Any help would be appreciated !

Heated Jacket ?

If your bike has the later canbus electrical system,the jacket won't charge via the bike's power socket.It draws to much current.Wire the jacket's fused lead direct to the battery.

Wolfgang , a lot of people think that.

My experience is; that the DIN socket can supply 5A without snags . Thats exactly what the DIN socket is for ! BMW are not idiots!
The dashboard socket is convenient.

I found, both on a F800GS and a R1200GS it was fine to power an old Keiss jacket , and more recently an Oxford jacket with a swanky controller giving 5 heat settings.

If you don't actually need to "faff about" adding a PDM60 (and there is limited space on the R1200GS) then why bother ?

The only comment I'd make, (magic mat), is that; the "pillion" might be better off having their own dedicated socket somewhere on the rear of the bike just to keep the wires away from the rider?

I got caught out the first time out on the GS with the jacket on via the accessory socket.So I just connected the loom to the battery for the next time.Cheers.
Wolfgang , a lot of people think that.

My experience is that the DIN socket can supply 5A without snags . Thats exactly what the DIN socket is for !
The dashboard socket is convenient.

I found, both on a F800GS and a R1200GS it was fine to power an old Keiss jacket , and more recently an Oxford jacket with a swanky controller giving 5 heat settings.

If you don't actually need to faff about adding a PDM60 ( and there is limited space on the R1200GS) then why bother ?

The only comment I'd make (magic mat) , is that the "pillion" might be better off having their own dedicated socket somewhere on the rear of the bike just to keep the wires away from the rider?

hi guys,

Yes im looking at either mouting a factory DIN socket by the rider, and having it in the CAN BUS system,

Or just wiring one off the battery, as in my first post. I'd prefer the standard BMW socket to be honest, but will it power the heated clothing? I guess i will have to plug it in by the dash and see how it works

Back
Top Bottom