Delta blues...

Thanks

Really enjoying this report, keep it up.

Thanks

IMG_2876-L.jpg

1967 Chevrolet Chevelle SS ?

IMG_2499-L.jpg

1968 Buick Buck Gran Sport 350 (Could be 400)

IMG_2539-L.jpg

1963 Lincoln Continental although the rear end in the next pic doesn't look right?

IMG_2534-L.jpg

1950 Ford F-1 Pickup

IMG_2716-L.jpg

1970 Cadillac DeVille I reckon

23rd June 2016

I wake early and feel well rested - I had a quiet evening and an early night. I'm not hungry, so I skip breakfast and pack the bike...

IMG_2883-L.jpg

It's a glorious morning, in the low 70's F already and not a cloud in the sky. I'm on the road at about 0845 and heading vaguely east, following Doris's instructions...

IMG_2884-L.jpg

After ten miles or so, Doris steers me down a dirt road marked "Pass Canyon"...

IMG_2887-L.jpg

The irrigators are hard at it, rolling slowly along as they spray...

IMG_2888-L.jpg

The road is well surfaced and it's easy to keep 60-70mph up...

IMG_2889-L.jpg

Great views back the way I've just come...

IMG_2891-L.jpg

...and as I crest the ridge...

IMG_2892-L.jpg

...the hills on the horizon fading into blue...

IMG_2896-L.jpg

The air is thick with the scent of these wild flowers (anyone like to identify them?) which line the road...

IMG_2897-L.jpg

I take a breather and just enjoy the quiet...

IMG_2900-L.jpg

...reflecting on how lucky I am to be able to do this.

Onward!

IMG_2903-L.jpg

After 30 miles or so, Doris steers me back onto tarmac and we head towards Gunnison...

IMG_2905-L.jpg

For some reason, I feel like a break and something to drink...

IMG_2908-L.jpg

As I enter the town of Gunnison, looking for a cafe, I spot this piece of artillery sited next to a war memorial...

Further down the road, what I was actually looking for...

IMG_2913-L.jpg

[Mr Burns] Excellent [/Mr Burns]

IMG_2912-L.jpg

They have the sign of a good restaurant, a well filled car park and a queue at the drive-through window... :thumb2

IMG_2911-L.jpg

I park in the shade, and then get myself on the outside of this...

IMG_2910-L.jpg

After cooling off in the pleasantly AC'd interior for a while, I get kitted back up (including a Camelback newly filled with iced water) and make my way out of town again...

IMG_2915-L.jpg

Doris almost immediately turns me off to the right - onto a road which is 50% overbidding (rather poetically referred to as 'tar snakes' over here)...

IMG_2917-L.jpg

I spot these two ageing girls, a long way from home.

I ride into Salina, feeling it's oddly familiar. Doris turns me right at the main street intersection and I recognise...

IMG_2918-L.jpg

Mom's Cafe, where I had breakfast in October 2014...

IMG_2921-L.jpg

The terrain has changed once again, and Doris steers me up into a range of hills...

IMG_2925-L.jpg

...until I come across road works with a Pilot Car scheme. This is actually the worst scenario when travelling in hot weather. If I can keep moving it's bearable. If I need to stop, even for a minute, I stop in shade. But here I have to sit for seven or eight minutes in full sun...
knary.gif

I try to think cool thoughts.

Eventually we get going and my temperature starts to reach normal levels again...

IMG_2928-L.jpg

It is starting to cloud over and I wonder if we're going to get a storm...

IMG_2929-L.jpg

First barn in a few days - sorry about that...

IMG_2933-L.jpg

As I enter Bicknell, I spot this one-stop-shop...

IMG_2932-L.jpg

...and then my motel - huzzah!
thumb2.gif

I'm quickly booked into Room 108...

IMG_2935-L.jpg

...which is a huge room...

IMG_2936-L.jpg

...with the Air Conditioner rather oddly sited in the bathroom. It works, though, so I crank it up to 11 and start unpacking.

Good day
thumb2.gif

IMG_2901-L.jpg

Great rr Mike O. Have a crackin ride over there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24th June 2106

I sleep quite well until I get a cold call from someone in London at 0250 asking if I'm looking for a second income. I'm in the Telephone Preference Service and these calls are just not supposed to get through. I explain my reasons for not wanting to talk to the operator and then block the number. Since I'm now awake, I check the news headlines and see that the UK Referendum has called for an exit from the EU.
And that the new iPhone 7 will not have a headphone jack.

What's happening to the world?

I manage to get back to sleep and wake at about 0650 to a beautiful clear day. It's 74 deg F already, but I quickly have the bike packed...

IMG_2939-L.jpg

...finding this chap on my tank. I take care not to disturb him while takings pic - only to find he was dead (or at least - tired and shagged out enough to act dead). Any ideas on identification? I wondered if it was a Colorado Beetle - I can remember posters being up everywhere when I was a small child, as it attacked potatoes (I think)...

Anyway - I am on the road, forgoing the complimentary breakfast, at about 0750.

IMG_2941-L.jpg

Now today is going to be a tale of navigational stupidity - so bear with me.

I asked Doris to plan me a winding route to Kanab, where I have a room booked tonight. I was confident she would find me a way to Capitol Reef National Park (25ish miles away) and we'd then spend the day riding through Grand Escalante National Monument, ending up at Bryce Canyon, before making a dirty dive towards Kanab for the night - all within about 160 miles or so. I was slightly surprised when she got me to retrace my steps to the town of Loa - but spotted a cafe so immediately forgot my surprise...

IMG_2946-L.jpg

If the Sate Troopers eat here, that's an endorsement not to be ignored...

IMG_2971-L.jpg

But before I go into the cafe, I take a walk around the garage premises next door...

IMG_2947-L.jpg

IMG_2948-L.jpg

IMG_2949-L.jpg

IMG_2950-L.jpg

IMG_2955-L.jpg

IMG_2957-L.jpg

IMG_2962-L.jpg

IMG_2963-L.jpg

IMG_2964-L.jpg

Although I have heard the term 'side-valve' to describe an engine, I didn't realise what the layout looked like until today...

IMG_2965-L.jpg

I really like to think that these are all donors (there are clearly several examples of each model) and that he owns a pristine example of each - but alas, if that is the case, they weren't on show...

Right - breakfast.

IMG_2972-L.jpg

Although having the appearance of having arrived on the plate at high velocity, this was actually delicious. It is the Rio Grande - comprising scrambled eggs, hash browns, peppers & chillies and gravy. Not Bisto - this is American gravy, a sort of vaguely spicy grey sauce with bits of sausage meat in it...

And two slices of toast (sourdough) - and coffee (natch). Excellent
DukeGirl.gif

Right back on the road. I follow Doris's directions without too much thought, to be honest. How's the iPhone 7 going to work without a headphone jack?

IMG_2973-L.jpg

It's a lovely morning, there's no traffic and all's well with the world (unless you're David Cameron, I suppose)...

IMG_2974-L.jpg

I spot a group of about 20 of these all terrain vehicles about to set off into the bondu...

IMG_2975-L.jpg

Like a trained dog, I keep following Doris's directions, although I am beginning to feel a faint unease that we might not be going to where I thought were...
patch.gif

So what? I'm on holiday - I decide to find out where she's taking me...
clear.png

IMG_2979-L.jpg

It's a beautiful ride - the temperature is like a warm summer's day in the UK and there's next to no traffic...

IMG_2988-L.jpg

The terrain gets hillier, and I start climbing a little...

Quite suddenly, I pop out opposite Bryce Canyon National Park, where the lovely Ranger Stacie checks the National Parks Pass I bought last year (and is still valid until the end of June) and wishes me a pleasant visit...

IMG_2990-L.jpg

I make my way up the 18 mile road. It's really quite busy and I stop for the minimum time at each of the view points. I'll let the pictures do the talking for a while - OK?

IMG_2997-L.jpg

IMG_2999-L.jpg

IMG_3003-L.jpg

IMG_3015-L.jpg

IMG_3017-L.jpg

IMG_3023-L.jpg

IMG_3034-L.jpg

IMG_3037-L.jpg

IMG_3043-L.jpg

Eventually I get to the end of the road - Rainbow point...

IMG_3059-L.jpg

Which is stunning...

[video]https://videos.smugmug.com/2016/June-2016/24th-June-2016-Bicknell-to/i-CRZQJDk/0/SMIL/CRZQJDk.smil/master.m3u8[/video]

Not sure if this will work, but here's a short video panorama...

I get back aboard the Adv and start thinking about where to go next. Kanab is about 60 miles away, but Escalante is somewhere I'm determined to see, as I've not been there in over 10 years. So I come out of Bryce and, much to Doris's urgent reminders not to, turn right...

IMG_3075-L.jpg

It's quite warm now - I filled up at Bryce and the thermometer read 87 deg F...

IMG_3083-L.jpg

This...

IMG_3090-L.jpg

...is Kampgrounds (sic) of America's logo - Game of Thrones fans may find it oddly familiar...:D

House-Bolton-Main-Shield-S.png

The landscape starts getting rockier...

IMG_3091-L.jpg

Someone has mounted a flagpole and a stars & stripes right up at the top of this butte...

IMG_3095-L.jpg

Onward!

IMG_3096-L.jpg

The route has some really odd speed limits scattered about it - going down as low as 30 for no apparent reason (other than some bends - but these are mandatory limits, not advisory)...

IMG_3103-L.jpg

I see plenty of motorcyclists - this is a great place to be on two wheels...

IMG_3111-L.jpg

This was one of the last areas of North America to be explored...

IMG_3120-L.jpg

This is Powell Point, named for John Wesley Powell who mapped the area in 1871...

IMG_3124-L.jpg

It's always nice to take a breather. My plan is to stop and take pictures going this way, and then ride back, enjoying the road a little more...

IMG_3138-L.jpg

This is what I have come for - the road coils its way through some beautiful country...

IMG_3141-L.jpg

OK - let's get going...

IMG_3153-L.jpg

It's every bit as much fun as I remember it being...

IMG_3157-L.jpg

Spectacular views...

IMG_3163-L.jpg

Twisty roads with great road surfaces...

IMG_3167-L.jpg

Trust me - I'm smiling behind the visor...
biggrin.gif

IMG_3170-L.jpg

I pull into the Burr Trail Grill in Boulder...

IMG_3171-L.jpg

Years ago I stopped here and had a superb cheeseburger. Alas they seem to have gone a bit upmarket - the food was delicious, but expensive - and you had to pay for lemonade refills - and the "suggested gratuity of 20%" was pointed out on the bill.

IMG_3172-L.jpg

My last visit there.

So - do I want to ride another 75 or so miles round trip to visit Capitol Reef? No - not really. Doris tells me we can be at the hotel in Kanab by 1800 and that's late enough. I turn the bike around and start heading back into Escalante...

IMG_3176-L.jpg

It's now getting pretty warm - the thermometer in the town of Escalante said 98 deg F...

IMG_3178-L.jpg

This car had the licence plate "Indebted"...
confused.gif

IMG_3180-L.jpg

I'm quite tired now, and regretting leaving my navigational decisions to Doris...

IMG_3182-L.jpg

Mind you, I'm taking far less notice of those speed limits than I was on the way up...

IMG_3184-L.jpg

In fact, it's all I can do to remember to snap some pictures...
lol8.gif

IMG_3190-L.jpg

Soon we're approaching the junction for Bryce Canyon again...

IMG_3197-L.jpg

I ride past it and on through the imaginatively named Red Canyon...

IMG_3211-L.jpg

Must've been late on a Friday afternoon when they named that, I reckon...

IMG_3215-L.jpg

Eventually I join the 89 South...

IMG_3217-L.jpg

...and make tracks towards Kanab.

But wait - what's this?

IMG_3218-L.jpg

Lurking behind a fence in the town of Glendale...

IMG_3219-L.jpg

Poor quality pics, as I couldn't get any closer...

IMG_3220-L.jpg

And then, at 1758 - and not a moment too soon...

IMG_3223-L.jpg

I'm greeted very warmly by the staff and they quickly get me a key to room 53...

IMG_3222-L.jpg

...and five cans of iced Sanpelligrino, which will help me rehydrate...

IMG_3224-L.jpg

I set the controls on the elderly AC unit to 'Neptune' and get unpacked.

Great day
thumb2.gif

IMG_3100-L.jpg

The area around Bryce and Escalante is absolutely breathtaking.

Brilliant as usual Mike.

25th June 2016

I sleep really well - hardly surprising, yesterday was a long day...

I wake early to a clear, bright and (relatively) cool morning. I quickly ablute and get kitted up, load the bike and am on the road at just after 0700. I stop briefly to refuel and then to use a drive through ATM...

IMG_3227-L.jpg

These are great - I wish banks/supermarkets in the UK would adopt the idea. I get a couple of hundred dollars out and then set off towards Kayenta...

IMG_3228-L.jpg

Hang on a tick - what's this?

IMG_3229-L.jpg

After days of seeing only rusting hulks, it's nice to see a car that has been restored...

IMG_3231-L.jpg

Very nicely done...
thumb2.gif

IMG_3232-L.jpg

It's early on a Saturday and I want to break the back of the mileage I have planned both in the cool of the day, and before too many weekenders start clogging the roads...

IMG_3240-L.jpg

It's a pleasant, if slightly uninvolving ride, and I make good time towards Page, Arizona...

IMG_3241-L.jpg

I keep up a steady 70 or so - and don't see any members of Arizona's or Utah's law enforcement agencies...

IMG_3245-L.jpg

Now - all you bridge fans out there - I know you've been very patient - but it's the desert and there aren't too many. Here's a treat - a bridge and a dam...

IMG_3257-L.jpg

The city of page was established in 1957. So was I...

IMG_3260-L.jpg

Aha! - America's version of the Little Chef (actually, that's very unkind to Denny's). Breakfast beckons...

IMG_3261-L.jpg

I was so tempted to try the Maple Bacon Sundae, but settled for...

IMG_3263-L.jpg

...the Lumberjack Slam, instead...
DukeGirl.gif

Onward!

IMG_3264-L.jpg

It's starting to warm up a bit, and there's a little traffic about (Lake Powell, which the dam at Page heads, is a huge recreation area).

IMG_3274-L.jpg

As I reach Kayenta...

IMG_3280-L.jpg

I ignore Doris's instructions and turn left towards Monument Valley...

IMG_3282-L.jpg

Large rock at roadside...

IMG_3284-L.jpg

I arrive at the visitors' centre, having paid my $10 entrance fee (this is a park run by the Navajo Nation, so my National Parks Pass doesn't work)...

IMG_3291-L.jpg

...and then make my way down to the loop road...

IMG_3294-L.jpg

...which, it has to be said, is in much better condition than last time I came here...

IMG_3298-L.jpg

There are almost no areas of sand, and parts of it are now actually concreted...

IMG_3306-L.jpg

John Ford Point - still one of the most beautiful views I have seen...

IMG_3309-L.jpg

It's busy, though. Truckloads of tourists are being shuttled around the loop and the noise is continuous - there is no quiet to be had anywhere...

IMG_3310-L.jpg

Concrete roads - madness...
lol8.gif

IMG_3315-L.jpg

I make my way back out of the loop and leave the park. I go across the road to fuel up at Gouldings, who seem to have cornered the market a little here...

IMG_3321-L.jpg

They even have their own airstrip and plane...

IMG_3325-L.jpg

I head towards Blanding, where I'm staying tonight. I can almost hear Doris breathe a sigh of relief - only 60ish miles to go...

IMG_3329-L.jpg

I have other plans...
naughty.gif

IMG_3332-L.jpg

I love this part of the world - even with the temperature now approaching 100 deg F, there's nothing I'd rather be doing right now...

IMG_3340-L.jpg

I pause briefly at Mexican Hat, to take a snap of the rock formation from which it got its name...

IMG_3343-L.jpg

...and then press north to...

IMG_3344-L.jpg

I ride down into the beginning of the 25ish mile gravel road...

IMG_3347-L.jpg

It's warm - I can feel the heat radiating off the rock around me...

IMG_3349-L.jpg

This is like a mini Monument Valley - but without the tourists (I meet about half a dozen vehicles coming in the opposite direction)...

IMG_3360-L.jpg

I am on a mission today...

IMG_3362-L.jpg

In October 2104, whilst riding Jorge's bike down this road (in the opposite direction), I got late sight of a dry stream bed and just had time to stand on the pegs before the bike hit it. The bike survived OK, but there was a 'clang' sound. I stopped and checked the bike over and assumed it was the suspension bottoming. It was only a few days later that I discovered the headlamp guard missing...

IMG_3365-L.jpg

So today, I stop, get a bottle of lemonade out of the tank bag, and search for it.

You will not be surprised to hear the search was fruitless...
lol8.gif

Still - it was good to take a breather...

IMG_3367-L.jpg

I'm soon at the T junction at the end of Valley of the Gods - Doris says turn left...

IMG_3369-L.jpg

I turn right and start climbing the Moki Dugway...

IMG_3371-L.jpg

In contrast to Monument Valley, this road surface is much worse than last time I was here - very bad washboard corrugations on all the uphill sides of the road. Thankfully there was next to no traffic, so I was able to use the left lane (just like being at home...
tongue.gif
)

IMG_3375-L.jpg

I eventually get to the pull-off, about three quarters of the way to the top...

IMG_3378-L.jpg

It's a view I never tire of...

A team of riders on Harleys and a Gold Wing - all with trailers - pull in and we have a chat...

IMG_3382-L.jpg

They talked about staying near the Grand Canyon tonight and haven't booked a motel...
eek7.gif

It's about 1400 and the Grand Canyon is 200 miles (to the North Rim). Doable, but it's over 100 deg - and I think I'd book ahead, but that's just me...

We say our farewells and I ride the remainder of the Dugway and rejoin paved roads for the first time in a while...

IMG_3384-L.jpg

The speed limit is 55 - I decide not to even use it as a guideline...
biggrin.gif

IMG_3389-L.jpg

I make good time to the T junction, where Doris rejoices and agrees with my route...

IMG_3393-L.jpg

65 limit here - still not fast enough...

IMG_3396-L.jpg

Gathering clouds are trying to rain, but it's evaporating long before it reaches the ground...

Quite suddenly, I arrive at the Super 8 at Blanding. I am checked in very efficiently and use the luggage trolley to cart the dusty pile of belongings to Room 109. I change some notes for quarters - it's going to be wash day this evening and tomorrow. I'm knackered and I'm going to have a day off.

IMG_3398-L.jpg

I book the Adv in for first thing Tuesday morning at Salt Lake BMW - it needs a new front tyre. I open an ice-cold lemonade and start writing the journal.a

Fantastic day...
thumb2.gif

IMG_3357-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom