Satnav mount on crossbar? (Temporary)

notagser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'd like to fit my Zumo 660, in a Touratech mount, to an 1150GS I'll be collecting in a couple of weeks. This will hopefully assist me to get home.........
I was planning to use the crossbar mounts for this trip, before I decide on a permanent mount. (Migsel articulated is currently favourite)
However, I was wondering if mounting the unit there would obscure too much of the instruments and/or be obscured by the (BMW) tankbag.
I also have the RAM handlebar clamp set which came with the Zumo, so that's an other option. However, that seems less than secure, as the mount can be removed by just loosening the arm clamp bolt.
Has anyone tried the crossbar mount location, and if so, was it tolerable?

I tried my 660 on the cross-bar, but it was either hidden by my tank bag, or if higher, obscured the clocks.

I settled on clamping it next to the clutch reservoir, I replaced the thumb screw with a dome head nut, it's been fine.

I made my own (simple) mounting plate for a sat-nav on an 1150gs - it's been on for years now and many miles and it puts the sat-nav in just the right position for easy visibility:thumb
I use my Garmin on my other BMW - a K1300GT, and on that bike I use the BMW mount on the bars/top yoke and it's not nearly as good a position for line-of-sight, in fact it's a crap position.

So, have a good think before rushing into things and/or spending dosh:eek: - a bracket like mine is easy to make and you could design it to take your "lockable" Touratwat mount:thumb

Cheers.....................Grizzly:beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_1500_1.JPG
    IMG_1500_1.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_1499_1.JPG
    IMG_1499_1.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_1501_1.JPG
    IMG_1501_1.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_1498_1.JPG
    IMG_1498_1.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 420
I made my own (simple) mounting plate for a sat-nav on an 1150gs - it's been on for years now and many miles and it puts the sat-nav in just the right position for easy visibility:thumb
I use my Garmin on my other BMW - a K1300GT, and on that bike I use the BMW mount on the bars/top yoke and it's not nearly as good a position for line-of-sight, in fact it's a crap position.

So, have a good think before rushing into things and/or spending dosh:eek: - a bracket like mine is easy to make and you could design it to take your "lockable" Touratwat mount:thumb

Cheers.....................Grizzly:beerjug:

I already have the Touratech mount, which I had fitted to a top yoke mount on my K1200RS, and yes, it was a bit lower than I would have preferred.
Might need to get the cardboard out and make a template when I get the bike home!
Is it an aluminium plate?
(I might be inclined to try a double bend in it, to avoid cutting the cowl)
Food for thought anyway.
Thanks.

It's just 2mm galvanised sheet steel - aluminium would tend to fatigue and crack when secured by one edge only. Sprayed with primer and satin black.
I had a double bend in a previous version to suit the Garmin Quest:robI had at the time - but I quite like the "recessed" look, it's neater, better positioned and looks integrated:rolleyes:
If your worried about cutting the silver cowl you can pick a "replacement" up on fleabay for a few pounds:thumb2

Cheers...................Grizzly:beerjug:

That is indeed very neat, only downside being the two small holes in the dash, but if it's permanently attached thats not a problem. Think I'll have to look out for some 2mm galvanised sheet :thumby:

It's always mounted on the bike as a fixture using the stainless screws with stainless nyloc nuts at the back.
The power supply is wired-in with the cable between top of dash and silver top cover and the audio output to Autocom is same way but over to right, so once Zumo 350 is clipped in I just plug in audio.
If you ever wanted to remove the bracket you could plug the holes with the black plastic expanding pins with push-in centre pins?

Cheers......................Grizzly:beerjug:

I mounted mine onto the cross-bar for a trip from Italy to London and it was fine. The only thing I had to do was wrap some tape around the bar to make it thicker and protect it slightly.

If that's temporary I can't imagine how good it would look if he put some effort in

Back
Top Bottom