My HP2 for sale

Is it still for sale then?:nenau Missed it the first time round:blast

Well my HP2 will soon be going to a new home.

Although flawed, it really is/was the ideal bike for me, but after 10 years a change is needed to keep my interest and I just have to try something different.

And as I prefer to have only one bike in the garage there’s going to be a certain amount of compromise involved in choosing its replacement. A bike that’s capable of those 80mph slogs up the motorway and able to negotiate the rock steps of the Peaks nadgery trails is going to be hard to find.

The shortlist:

BMW Seratoa/Dakar 650 – same weight as the HP2, capable “off road” but doesn’t handle the motorway work very well.

KTM 690/Husky 700 – nice and light, but a little too dirt orientated to have as an only bike. But I love the Rally Raid fairing kit look, I’m really tempted.

Triumph 800XC – I imagine getting grip in boggy going from a smooth 3 cylinder engine is tricky, but the smoothness ideal for the road miles I do. However, the demo bikes I looked at in February were rusting badly – are they a summer only bike?

KTM 1190R – far too much electro trickery, far too much power and too heavy for the dirt. But makes a great road bike I hear, even with its 21” 18” wheels.

KTM 1050 – just enough power and slightly lighter than the 1190, but road only wheels. Could be converted (£££££££) to a good all round bike. A contender.

BMW F800GS – now you’re talking. Just enough power, not too overweight, copes well “off road”, but (from the 250 mile test ride I did) a bit vibey at high speed making distance uncomfortable. Probably the bike I should buy, but it’s just sooooo much less than a HP2.

Honda Africa Twin CRF1000 – overweight, but good sized wheels, seems to like the dirt and has good reports of mile munching abilities on tarmac. I think it looks (and feels when sat in it) a bit bananary with the high rear end. Another contender though.

And I’ve always fancied a Triumph Scrambler – crap for both the trails and motorways, but looks like a motorcycle should look.

But really from that shortlist there’s only one bike approaching the sheer lunacy and engagement of the HP2. Yes it’s got far too much electro trickery, far too much power and it’s too heavy for the dirt, but it’s the only one I want as opposed to think I should have.

Wonder if I’ll keep this one for 10 years?

I'd have an HP2 over any of the above - it's almost the perfect all rounder if GSing is your thing, apart from the fuel tank, duff forks, duff shock and no fairing of course:augie If I was you, I'd stick. TT Nuda offroad conversion could be worth a look though:cool:

Good luck:thumby:

There's only one thing to replace an HP2 with. Another HP2.:thumb

I have been going through the same list to replace my HP2 which will be on sale once I am back from hols. I think it is going to be a Africa twin or a husky 700/KTM 690... There isn't anything else out there nearly as exciting but kind of getting bored of having the same bike for SO long..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I sold my HP2E... but bought it back !!!!
You cannot replace it with anything built after 2008, as that was the last time the financial & regulatory environment allowed real toys to be made
For that reason I have added a KTM 950 SE - so much better on carbs than the 990 ....!!! - but it does bite.....!!!

Please do not buy a 690 / 700 - a friend has a current ruined honeymoon - with a Euro 2,000 bill - even after replacing the rocker arms last year..........

Hp2e

Is your hp2e still for sale?. Trying to find one Asap

Dave. 07812039110, Dbixter99@aol.com

Well my HP2 will soon be going to a new home.

Although flawed, it really is/was the ideal bike for me, but after 10 years a change is needed to keep my interest and I just have to try something different.

And as I prefer to have only one bike in the garage there’s going to be a certain amount of compromise involved in choosing its replacement. A bike that’s capable of those 80mph slogs up the motorway and able to negotiate the rock steps of the Peaks nadgery trails is going to be hard to find.

The shortlist:

BMW Seratoa/Dakar 650 – same weight as the HP2, capable “off road” but doesn’t handle the motorway work very well.

KTM 690/Husky 700 – nice and light, but a little too dirt orientated to have as an only bike. But I love the Rally Raid fairing kit look, I’m really tempted.

Triumph 800XC – I imagine getting grip in boggy going from a smooth 3 cylinder engine is tricky, but the smoothness ideal for the road miles I do. However, the demo bikes I looked at in February were rusting badly – are they a summer only bike?

KTM 1190R – far too much electro trickery, far too much power and too heavy for the dirt. But makes a great road bike I hear, even with its 21” 18” wheels.

KTM 1050 – just enough power and slightly lighter than the 1190, but road only wheels. Could be converted (£££££££) to a good all round bike. A contender.

BMW F800GS – now you’re talking. Just enough power, not too overweight, copes well “off road”, but (from the 250 mile test ride I did) a bit vibey at high speed making distance uncomfortable. Probably the bike I should buy, but it’s just sooooo much less than a HP2.

Honda Africa Twin CRF1000 – overweight, but good sized wheels, seems to like the dirt and has good reports of mile munching abilities on tarmac. I think it looks (and feels when sat in it) a bit bananary with the high rear end. Another contender though.

And I’ve always fancied a Triumph Scrambler – crap for both the trails and motorways, but looks like a motorcycle should look.

But really from that shortlist there’s only one bike approaching the sheer lunacy and engagement of the HP2. Yes it’s got far too much electro trickery, far too much power and it’s too heavy for the dirt, but it’s the only one I want as opposed to think I should have.

Wonder if I’ll keep this one for 10 years?

HP2 for sale

I have thought of selling my HP2 a couple of times and come too my senses before doing anything. For me I just got rid of a big hot rod leaving plenty of room in the garage for more bikes. I've added a K1200r sport for commuting to work and I think a sport V twin will be next, ktm or ducati probably. But the HP2 is going nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom