Come on guys who owns an Africa Twin ???

I like my DCT and sold my GSA to have this i would definitely consider the new model in a year or two. No ruzt on my spokes a thousand miles in yet!!
5e6ec6298b84eaa0c33463696c571b02.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I've got one now !

It's a great bike. Just about ready to make my wheels tubeless, got some 3M tape and new valves hopefully it'll work :D

I collect an adventure sport next week.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My first dealings with an AT. Friend in our club asked me if I would check his valve clearances for him.

I was surprised because he normally does all his own maintenace but after a google check and a look at the manual, I agreed to do it for him.

Well it took me a whole day. What a swine of a job. One of those jobs without any short cuts. If you look at a part and think "will I have to remove that?" , don't think just go ahead and remove it. For instance the tank can be removed without taking the seatmech/bracket/plastic box off, but it most certainly has to be removed to refit the tank.

Probably if I did it again, I could do it quicker. It must be even worse when the big crash bars are fitted.

The irony is that all that work and the valve clearances were all within spec. I did tighten the exhausts down .001" to set them at mid tolerance.

Funny that none of the glowing reviews consider maintenance costs on new bike models.

Im in negotiation with Dobles again to get a Adventure Sport, thinking of going DCT this time !!

....Funny that none of the glowing reviews consider maintenance costs on new bike models.

Motorcycle Consumer News includes maintenance cost in their test including dealer retail parts cost and labor shop time times the average dealer service rate, which is probably $90+ an hour now. I believe I heard setting the valves, or maybe it was a service including setting valves, took 5 shop hours which is crazy expensive! I couldn't imagine the response if Honda told their Civic or Accord owners they'd be responsible for a $500 valve check every 12,000 miles? Well actually I can imagine that, people simply wouldn't buy those cars. But we motorcycle owners keep buying them.

Honda had self adjusting valves in some of motorcycles (Nighthawk, Pacific Coaster, etc) 30 years ago, why not now? At least on their non hyper performance engines.

Aah but that's in America. I think they keep quite abut it over here. Hourly rate inc vat can be £100+ over here.

I think you will find that the time for checking the valves is over 6 hours without additions for taking off crash bars etc.

Adjusting the valves is even more expensive especially the inlets.

I think you will find that the time for checking the valves is over 6 hours without additions for taking off crash bars etc.

Adjusting the valves is even more expensive especially the inlets.

:eek OMG mine's getting traded before it reaches 16K! There's something to be said for the Boxer's easy access... or better yet Harley's self adjusting setup.

If I was changing to a Sport, I’d definitely go DCT this time as it’s superb. :beerjug:

Going for another test ride tomorrow Davy and a chat on what deal i can get on it
just ordered a full set of Givi Dolomiti 36 ltr panniers and 46 ltr top box which is on hold pending the outcome lol

Going for another test ride tomorrow Davy and a chat on what deal i can get on it
just ordered a full set of Givi Dolomiti 36 ltr panniers and 46 ltr top box which is on hold pending the outcome lol

Yup . ATAS DCT is amazing !!

OE Dunlops still shite though . I can recommend Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs. My new fav having used Conti TA2s for years .

Standard bike is great but Hyperpro spring kit transforms it ....

e60db9c3e30ca3e9c5d2163de76d6d49.jpg

Got me an ATAS at the weekend and have sold the 05 GS already. Really liking this bike so far, there's very little that needs attention to get it set up right.
16350b752d2602c83684c0cc2420fe77.jpg

Rode the ATAS DCT Sunday and to be brutally honest it really didnt tickle my pickle still not really into the DCT in drive it changed gear far too quickly and felt silly, in sports 1 it seamed a bit better but no auto blipper on downshifting,(Maybe just that bike ?) in sport 2 it seemed to hold 2-3rd 3-4th and up too long and sport 3 was silly in the opposite direction to drive Did like the bike on the whole though so if I did go for one it would be another manual

Rode the ATAS DCT Sunday and to be brutally honest it really didnt tickle my pickle still not really into the DCT in drive it changed gear far too quickly and felt silly, in sports 1 it seamed a bit better but no auto blipper on downshifting,(Maybe just that bike ?) in sport 2 it seemed to hold 2-3rd 3-4th and up too long and sport 3 was silly in the opposite direction to drive Did like the bike on the whole though so if I did go for one it would be another manual

I think you really need a couple of days on the dct to get a feel for it and work out whats best, i opted for a gear stick as well so when i want to make progress i select manual, tap down with the stick and use the paddle to change up, if i feel lazy i leave it in sport 2 but i agree it does have a mind of its own.

I tried the DCT but didn't get on with it. Either held on to gears too long in Sport mode or changed too soon in D. Maybe it learns your riding style when you use the +/- buttons but I just preferred the manual.

11k on my standard AT DCT now, absolutely love the DCT box. I still get caught out very occasionally where it drops from 2nd to 1st, slow speed stutter etc...but I suppose that's my fault for not pre-empting the problem.

Back
Top Bottom