BMW R1100S Repaint + Refresh

Today I have been mostly painting (amongst other things)

I wasn't sure about the scheme as I was laying it out but I'm really pleased with the final result. There are no less than 10 paint processes involved.

The colours are low locked in with two coats of HS clear. I will flat them back tomorrow and give it another three tomorrow to level out any level changes between the colours.

IMG_2112 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2113 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2116 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2118 (1) by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2120 (1) by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2122 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2124 by tunneruk, on Flickr

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MCFzVlhKF10" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That looks superb. Really looking forward to seeing this all done.

I love that design and colour choice! The flared stripes over the exhaust should look very smart.

I'm going on my hols tonight and shall be returning on 11th July. could you please ensure this is all completed on my return. :D

Looking good can't wait to see the final result.

I'm going on my hols tonight and shall be returning on 11th July. could you please ensure this is all completed on my return. :D

Looking good can't wait to see the final result.

Hmmm, I doubt it'll be finished by then but I do have a ride out planned on the 23rd which I'm hoping to have it finished for ;)

Chris another stunning job, really looking fwd to seeing the finished job.
Steve

That's superb. The kind of work I see, and just wish I could do it.

As usual, lovely stuff.

Reminds me of the Martini sponsored Lancias some years ago, the completed bike should look incredible.

It'll be a keeper - right until the moment you sell it...!

:D

As usual, lovely stuff.

Reminds me of the Martini sponsored Lancias some years ago, the completed bike should look incredible.

It'll be a keeper - right until the moment you sell it...!

:D

Well ........ :D

My intention is to keep this one for a while, it's a great bike to have along side my KTM and for me personally it'll be nice to actually own a motorcycle that I've painted rather than handing them back to their owners!

Well ........ :D

My intention is to keep this one for a while, it's a great bike to have along side my KTM and for me personally it'll be nice to actually own a motorcycle that I've painted rather than handing them back to their owners!

I bought mine as a cheap everyday bike and I love the bloody thing, I fitted a footrest lowering kit and bars above the yokes and it now fits me great. It handles great, has tons of real world go and just has that certain something that gets under your skin ( have had GSs in the past and prefer this ) I love it, very capable bike.

So my Laser 'Y' piece arrived late last week, they almost never come up for sale so I was very lucky to snag it when it came up on Evilbay.

Although it's in perfect mechanical condition it's fair to say it was cosmetically challenged. I did some research and decided to buy some Optiglanz from Germany. It arrived today so I gave it a whirl. It's pretty impressive stuff, it's not effortless by any stretch but I can't think of another off the shelf product to beat it! I sponged it on, left it 5 minutes and used a green scourer to scrub away the grime. Any really tough bits (around welds for example) I used a stainless steel bristled wire brush. They're not perfect by a long way but they look clean and bright. I could have polished them afterwards but I'm happy for them to look clean but used.

IMG_2137 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2138 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2139 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2141 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Because I'm a bit of a dick head and because I wanted to run the bike before 9PM I didn't take any photos of the cleaning process :blast But here are some of it fitted ....

IMG_2169 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2170 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2168 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2171 by tunneruk, on Flickr

So, if you have crusty stainless headers and you want to clean them up then I can highly recommend Optiglanz, you'll need to put the same amount of effort in as you would cleaning a BBQ grill but I think it's well worth it.

I did start the bike up and the first 10" of the headers turned brown within about 7 seconds :yelrotflm

In addition to the exhaust activity I have also been in the booth throwing some paint around.

1st up - Base coat white

IMG_2134 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I based up all the parts individually then lightly assembled them and gave the whole lot a liberal single coat, just to ensure that all the panels were an even shade

IMG_2142 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2146 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Once the final base white had had a 20 minute bake I went over it all again with two coats of white pearl base (I would put a photo up but it wouldn't look any different to the photo above.

This then got another 20 minute bake while I reconfigured my Iwata and started mixing up my clear coat concoction. In order to give the white depth I have added both blue and white xiralic to the clear coat.

IMG_2167 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2164 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2161 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2157 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I do have a twinge of doubt about the colour of the indicator pods, they're ordinarily just textured black plastic. I will build the bike up and see how I feel, there's every possibility that they may receive further attention!

phwaor!

first Bemmer I ever rode was an 11S in yellow. Sometimes think about having one as well as the GS, but the GS is enough for me, but then.......

looking forward to seeing the finished job.

I'm loving this ... Can't wait for next install

Chris Clean the pipes back again and as soon as you have them done get a pair of nitrile gloves on and start rubbing in Zebo Grate Paste, with a cloth and small circles for the first coat (Edit note Unless you can find an old stock tube of Zebo don't use the modern stuff I recall now that the last one I could find was that "Black Grate polish" made to look like a Zebo packet)

Start and run 30 seconds and then start a second coat and leave it without buffing up for an hour or two

Give it a buff up and rub a third coat on and go for a ride

Apparently the original Zebo is not available any more! Probably the Elf n Safety Nazi's again!

This looks as close as you are going to get unless you use dry graphite!

Its the graphite content that gives the colour and makes the protective layer

Not perfect but gave my old "GuR" (my Hybrid yoke I made) a new lease for the rusty pipes and a gunmetal blue sort of hue

Do NOT touch anything that's cloth or light coloured till you take off the gloves!! (and even then you will probably get some on you :aidan )

Back
Top Bottom