Hard Luggage

Brenchleyhibs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully fitted non-BWM hard luggage to their XR?

I recently purchased Helpco & Becker Xplorer panniers (with Lock-it quick release system) but have been unsuccessful in fitting the left hand side pannier frame as it doesn't quite line up with the frame mounting points. I have received a second l/h frame to try. I have initially offered it up to the bike and the misalignment seems to be less but still out of tolerence (i'll get to try it properly at the weekend).

Has anyone else on here successfully fitted the H&B pannier frames to an XR?

I rather like the idea of the quick release "Lock-it" system. Should the H&B not fit and it has to go back (despite being told that they have sold 2 or 3 with no issue), then i might consider the SW Motech Trax ally luggage system. This also seems to be a quick-release design (Quick-Lock).

Further question is - has anyone on here successfully fitted the SW Motech Trax ally luggage system?

I'm looking for reassurance and/or inspiration!

Thank you for listening......

Andy

Hi Andy, I bought BMW panniers with the bike, but to my horror they were red and not wishing to resemble Postman Pat I heard about Shad, the Barcelona based factory. Every small bike on the Continent seems to have some kind of Shad luggage and they now do quite a nice pannier set for the XR. Ordered from Tippetts (Honda) in New Malden. Took a while but they really suit the XR and are only one third the price of the original BMW ones.

good luck

dave

SW Motech Trax system for me, really neat and tidy.

just about to order the givi ones don't know weather to get the 37 litre or the 48 litre I am up for any suggestion's

SW Motech Trax system for me, really neat and tidy.

Hi F8GS,

Are you using the "Quick Lock" frame system? Is there some way of securing the frames to the bike, like a locking connector? The SW Motech website doesn't seem to be clear on this point.

just about to order the givi ones don't know weather to get the 37 litre or the 48 litre I am up for any suggestion's

I have 40 litre Kappa K40 cases (Kappa is a sub-brand of Givi). They are very capacious but very wide. 48 will be bigger again. Great for a long trip but I'm just about to set off for France for a week and the two Givi E21 panniers plus topbox are adequate and I can still filter easily.
http://kappamoto.com/cases/monokey/K40

Now happy !!

I thought I'd follow up my original post.

I'm now the happy owner of a set of SW Motech Alu panniers with their patented "quick-lock" fitting system, all fitted a few days ago.

Pros (in my humble opinion)

Four quick-lock mounting points each side of the bike's frame (the Hepco and Becker has three).
Doesn't mount to the lower pillion footrest fixing (the pillion footrests seem to me to have a lot of lateral flexing).
The rear lateral bracing is also quick-lock, meaning that the frame can be easily detached as two pieces (the Hepco and Becker lateral brace is bolted, meaning that the frame has to be removed as one piece and then unbolted from the lateral brace for easier storage (also a risk of losing the small brace piece and the associated bolts and washers).
The quick-lock fastenings are slotted, meaning that you can open and close them using a 50 pence piece (the Hepco and Becker require a large hex or torx driver).

Cons (in my humble opinion)

I haven't found any yet!

Cheers :thumby:
Andy

Would someone with the Trax luggage fitted post some photos please, preferable with the top box also fitted, thanks.

I have the panniers but no top box, preferring to use the BMW "small" tail pack instead.

Is it the top box you are interested in? I'd be happy to post up some pics of the Trax panniers, given a couple of days.

Sorry I just never got around to it.

We did use the panniers (37Ltr) for a two week return trip down to Austria mid-September and they proved to be watertight in the heaviest of alpine rain! So very pleased with them.

I've since removed them and the "quick-lock" frames for the winter. However, if the weather is dry next weekend I'll dig them out and refit the panniers to take a couple of pics.

Andy

SW Motech Trax Install

If you can put up with the dreadful music, give this a watch.

Back
Top Bottom