Paris - Nice Auto Train

skellum

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
(Re posted in France section)

Paris - Nice TGV Autotrain

I am in a group of 4 bikes using the auto train from Paris Bercy to Nice Ville later on in the summer but have just noticed that the pick up from Nice Ville station the following day is between 12.00 - 6.00pm - has anyone had experience of how long it took to retrieve their bike?

When I queried with Voyages-sncf who we booked through, a young lady said our bikes would be unloaded earlier in the morning and would be ready for us to collect however, we have travelled on the German trains previously (and the old Calais/Nice autotrain) and have only ever unloaded the bikes from the train ourselves!

The reason I am concerned is that we have already booked our ferry from Nice to Bastia with a check in by 2.15pm so would need a pretty swift pick up - also have just seen on TGV's 2016 brochure a recommendation to only use evening ferries from Nice on the same day of collection (of which there are none!)

Any advice from experience would be appreciated. Cheers Tony

The last time i used the Nice train was 4 or 5 years ago things may have changed but i recall collecting the bike around 1pm, i used the paris avignon recently and there has never been an issue with them unloading the bike, and it was in a locked compound waiting for pickup by 9.45 am when i arrived. maybe that could have been a better option than the Nice one, just a thought for future reference for people.

Safe to assume you won't have the bike before 1pm, mind this if you are travelling on the sleeper train from Paris, that arrives around 9/10am.

They are quite blasè about loading/unloading the train ;)
Last time I used it, I was able to get the bike by 11ish (if I remember correctly) as I was sticking around the terminal with nothing to do and they asked some help to move the bike.

There is an extensive thread here: http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/422429-motorail-and-easyjet-help-please

As they open for collection at midday I guess all we can do is get there early on the basis of being dealt with first and hope that they have unloaded the bikes off of the train that morning.

We are arriving in Nice the night before by fast train, so will camp out if necessary!!!

and hope that they have unloaded the bikes off of the train that morning

Leave it early at Bercy, so it will end up in the first cars.

Is the autotrain still travelling just on Fridays?
I'm going for a couple of days in Italy at the end of September and working on my options: ride it all or cut the leg southbound via train.

depending on what time of year it is. it does run as many as 4 times a week.

LOL – don't upset Wapping with common semi-useless chit-chat.

:)

Thinking (or not) is what has has caused your timing problem.

Incorrect, if you read my first post the problem has arisen because the advice given by Voyages-sncf at the time of booking "that our bikes would be unloaded early in the morning and would be ready for us to collect" is now being contradicted by additional information posted by TGV - hence my post.

Thanks for response er-minio and yes, the aim now is to get to Bercy as early as possible on the basis of early on, early off.

I am sure we will still enjoy our time in Corsica even if we end up arriving a couple of days late! :beer:

...and there was me thinking you were all worried about your unloading of the bikes and the departure time of your ferry. Silly me. You are one relaxed cool biker, dude.

Enjoy your holiday.

Back
Top Bottom