Arai visor lock nearly got me into trouble

rodsharp

Reaction score
I had a potentially very serious problem yesterday. I got caught in a storm started raining hard and within seconds it became torrential and the temperature must have dropped like a stone because my visor misted up very badly. It happened so quickly and I could not unlatch the visor lock however hard I tried . Within 30 seconds I couldn't see a thing so hit the hazard lights and the brakes at the same time. By now I was completely blind ,so bad that I couldn't tell when I came to a stop other than by dragging my feet on the ground . I know it sounds stupid and I have worn the same helmet for a long time without this problem before but it was very scary. When I did manage to stop and force my visor open I realized I was half way across the road ,luckily no other vehicles were about but I was seriously scared. When I got home I removed the catch so it couldn't happen again. If I had dropped or crashed the bike and lived to tell the tale can you imagine an insurance company believing me. Just thought I would pass it on so you guys can check your helmets.

never had that problem with the old popper studs

I had a potentially very serious problem yesterday. I got caught in a storm started raining hard and within seconds it became torrential and the temperature must have dropped like a stone because my visor misted up very badly. It happened so quickly and I could not unlatch the visor lock however hard I tried . Within 30 seconds I couldn't see a thing so hit the hazard lights and the brakes at the same time. By now I was completely blind ,so bad that I couldn't tell when I came to a stop other than by dragging my feet on the ground . I know it sounds stupid and I have worn the same helmet for a long time without this problem before but it was very scary. When I did manage to stop and force my visor open I realized I was half way across the road ,luckily no other vehicles were about but I was seriously scared. When I got home I removed the catch so it couldn't happen again. If I had dropped or crashed the bike and lived to tell the tale can you imagine an insurance company believing me. Just thought I would pass it on so you guys can check your helmets.

Scary! Could have so easily gone horribly wrong.

I can fully understand how that could happen. I use an Arai Quantum and when the visor is clipped shut, it needs a very firm push to unclip it. I was caught in a severe downpour last week, so bad I had to exit the motorway and wait 5 minutes for the storm to pass

Might need to slow down for the weather conditions !! In my view a bad worker/rider will always blame his tools !!!

I would suggest you stop panicking and breathing so fast.

Solid advice actually.
Breathe, slower, through the nose (front vent open) it will mist slower.

Also, thumb firmly under the black plastic thingie and push (relatively) very hard, it unlocks.

Last, but not least, pinlock is your friend here. :D

Thumb in, pull out and up.

Never had any issues with mine fogging with a pinlock in either, so if you are having issues with fogging you need to look at how your pinlock is fitted, they need adjusting to get it to fit properly all around the edge. Any bits not in contact with the visor will allow it to mist up.

Back
Top Bottom