what would be the cheapest guzzi

This is my Italian beauty. Really must get round to removing the mothballs and getting out on it. If my new work arrangements come off it may be this year
newnumberplate005red.jpg

How much?

the T3 bars fitted to the convert are are a much better design than those on the T3 cali. the seat is miles better too.

i'd have put rearsets on my le mans, but for the sake of originality, + the only ones i saw to buy 20 years ago were those ghastly tarrozzi things.

My Cali seat is an expensive modern Italian reproduction. It's leather with the latest seat foams. Very comfortable. Probably the most comfortable bike seat I've ever ridden on.

My Spada Royale back in the day - definately the most comfy bike I've ever owned.

Attachments

• Spada1.jpg
    Spada1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 340
Not for sale at the moment, but it would be a LOT more than the 3.5K budget you mentioned. As mentioned, these seem to be coming up for sale very rarely these days and are only going to go one way.

So it might be for sale at a price

I think you need to post some of your other work Ian. You build some of the best bikes I've ever seen. They really are lovely machines.

whats the advantage or disadvantage of the convert dont know much about them only there automatic surely the fun of the bike is changing gear ?

strictly speaking, not an automatic.

a two speed, conventional gearbox connected to the engine by a torque converter/fluid flywheel so generally speaking changing gear is totally unnecessary. i rode from bournemouth to the alps in second on mine. only downshifting to first as the bike was struggling a bit up the st. gotthard pass.

loved mine, but sold it after several years as i wasn't using it any more. spoke to the new owner last week, and he was loving it too. personally, i'd say they are an acquired taste. i'll probably regret parting with it one day.

strictly speaking, not an automatic.

a two speed, conventional gearbox connected to the engine by a torque converter/fluid flywheel so generally speaking changing gear is totally unnecessary. i rode from bournemouth to the alps in second on mine. only downshifting to first as the bike was struggling a bit up the st. gotthard pass.

loved mine, but sold it after several years as i wasn't using it any more. spoke to the new owner last week, and he was loving it too. personally, i'd say they are an acquired taste. i'll probably regret parting with it one day.

top man

Not sure about luck, my T3 has been way more reliable than my GS....

But then, its about as simple as a bike can be.

Round barrels are about, but you are more likely to find a tatty one in the MGOC or Gumtree etc. Obviously don't bother going for a decent looker as they'll blow ur budget out of the water. But Ive seen tatty T3s like mine was for £2000 to £2500, but that was a couple of years ago, probably 3k now.
Theres a Spada 1000 on ebay right now for £1950 which needs no more than mine did. Remember original MG electrics were shit and should be replaced anyway. Everything else just needs a service and she'll go.

whats the advantage or disadvantage of the convert dont know much about them only there automatic surely the fun of the bike is changing gear ?

Guzzi gearboxes take a bit of getting used to, especially when they get a bit of wear in the linkages,

Converts are not speed machines, they are a bit like cruisers, only they handle, and don't have the dodgy cruiser design,

Because you don't use the clutch it's much easier to ride through town, and at slow speed, they are nice to ride at speed camera speeds, very relaxing and all day comfortable, great for a Sunday ride,

Though I will be riding mine to Kent in a couple of weeks, and not using my Fazer 1000, I use it because despite riding a lot slower, it's a nice ride at normal speeds, I will arrive tired, but without any aches and with my licence intact.

Downsides are that the switchgear is shit, like most guzzi's and the rear UJ are unobtainium, and specific to the convert

I've got a spare convert uj kicking about somewhere. Got a bit of play, but might be useable/rebuildable?

Got an engine and two gearboxes too

Back
Top Bottom