Front engine cover

Howard J

Who?
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have had the front cover off my 1150 to spruce it up a bit with some hammerite, my question is: do I need to apply any gasket sealer when replacing? Thanks.

All went well apart from buggering up the crank shaft seal as I found out on my first ride out by oil coming from the bottom of the black plastic cover :( I have ordered a new seal from Motoworks, any tips on replacement welcomed, thanks..

The problem is fitting it so that the lip is concave on the camshaft when it is in position. Iirc (did it with my RS years ago) I warmed it in hot water and then used a strip of thin plastic on the inside diameter to keep it that way on the camshaft. Once fitted, remove the plastic and the lip will form to the camshaft. If it is convex when fitted, it will leak.

If you cut a plastic bottle and make a sleeve you can pre form the seal lip outwards and then slide it on, always works for me!

All went well apart from buggering up the crank shaft seal as I found out on my first ride out by oil coming from the bottom of the black plastic cover :( I have ordered a new seal from Motoworks, any tips on replacement welcomed, thanks..

Insulation tape on the end of the crank.. only needs 1 layer just to remove the sharp edges

Forget the BMW Diapraghm type seal just go to a seal stockist and get a standard double lip one

No requirement for the Phaffery required with those other dopey bastard design seals !

The seal size that is needed is 30X42X7 I have used a 30 plus of these over the years (Different bikes Different Jobs ) and have only nicked one

Forget the BMW Diapraghm type seal just go to a seal stockist and get a standard double lip one

No requirement for the Phaffery required with those other dopey bastard design seals !

The seal size that is needed is 30X42X7 I have used a 30 plus of these over the years (Different bikes Different Jobs ) and have only nicked one

Worth sticking that in the font of all wisdom Jay. Handy tip.

Yep, do what the good Dr says. And they are waaaay cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice, In my haste I had already ordered a seal from Motoworks, so when I bugger up trying to fit that one I'll know what to do next! :)

Seal arrived today, to start with I thought they had sent me the wrong one as I could not believe it would fit with the diameter being so much smaller than the shaft, so using the tips you guys have given me I applied a bit of oil and using my thumbs pre formed it inwards, then using the Steptoe tip I cut up a coke can and formed it inside the seal applying a bit more oil to the strip, then using the rear shock adjuster gently tapped it in and then removed the strip of coke can with a pair of pliers. Have run the engine for about 10 mins and no oil weeping yet! :thumb2 have left the plastic cover off and will check again tomorrow before taking her out at the weekend for a proper test. Thanks for all the tips etc, really appreciated :beerjug:

I did Tell you!

Just get a double lip seal (Make sure that the material from your supplier is okay with Engine oils!)

Thanks for that, I'll get one ordered. Any tips for install?

Thanks for that, I'll get one ordered. Any tips for install?

Any friends with a lathe that would spin you a bit of wood or nylon ??

Make a drift about 5mm wider than the seal but bored out and fitting over the crank end

Basically fit the seal with a taste of rubber grease on the lip and GENTLY wiggle it over the crank end Mind the sharp edges at the notch and that the springs do not displace! push it on down to the casing face

If it was me I would have a wee taste of rubber grease around the outside and gently start it into the recess

THEN fit the drift and gently with the palm of your hand tap the drift and hence the seal in until its flush

Back
Top Bottom