going from wc gsa to 1150 gsa

steele01

Reaction score
Hi everyone :) warranty is up on my gsa LC, been pretty amazing to ride but, reliability has been a bit of a pain on it, got a decent figure for trading back in and clearing the finance,

Would leave me about 5k back in the pot if I went that way

not sure if I'm going to extend the warranty and keep it as I do love riding it blows me away ever time I do. But the spare parts price is a bit scary do about 25k a year millage wise across a couple of bikes so after one I can do big millage on, done 16k on the gsa LC

costs I was looking at on the LC are 3 services say at 350 quid a pop + 450 for the warranty thats about £1500 in servicing and warranty a year
Or service it myself but if the gearbox went or something like that bit screwed

apparently a water pump is £1500 and the shocks being none rebuildable was looking at touratech for £2,500 all starts to mount up a bit

so been thinking of a bit of old school tech that I can fix ok myself.

Other one I was thinking was a super ten but do love the boxers

One things for sure love the Big beemers,

Just wondering has anyone ever gone from a wet head to the 1150 gsa or gone the opposite way, know they are all different

anything you missed from either,

few questions if thats ok

• what are parts prices like compared to the LC GSA
  • what are the most expensive reliability issues
  • self servicing compared to the LC? any better or worse

What does everyone think

Massive thanks in advance,

Tom

If you want reliability, durability, decent handling blah, blah, blah the Super Ten is the way to go. An easy 200 miles from the 23 litre tank as long as you aren't caning it. Downside? It's not fashionable and it doesn't have a BMW badge so it's not "unstoppable" :D

You can have this beauty for 5k

Attachments

• GS front view.jpg
    GS front view.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 755
Working today and an immaculate r1150gs on a 51 plate with a few of the adventure bits on (and in mandarin rode past) rode past , still love the look of them, their road presence and the relative electrical nad mechanical simplicity.

I had a full service on mine including all fluids, tappets etc down to an easy morning and a considerable saving over what BMW charges for the LC .

Funny how 85 bhp was more than enough , never felt it needed 125 bhp plus a remap

It'll be a lot different, you'll think one of the plug leads ha become detached from the 1150GSA

However like all bikes the 1150GSA has its own charm

Better or worse?.............just different

Once you get a 1150GSA set up well - they're a good bike

The 1150 was deffo built to last but it feels as tho the brakes are stuck on when comparing it to the WC.

The 1150 was deffo built to last but it feels as tho the brakes are stuck on when comparing it to the WC.

Listen to the girls, they are wise!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DQ9DrReE-uo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Cheers everyone some right food for thought there :) might go and have a look at one today at a dealer and throw my leg over

Gs1150

After the WC it would feel like a crock of shite. Get the super ten bullet proof and vastly underrated.

Bike magazine recently placed the Super Ten pretty highly in an adventure bike shoot out....and it was the basic version not the posh electric suspension one.

I went from a 1200 wc to a Guzzi Stelvio. Loved the Stelvio although it was lacking in grunt at times. Now got an Explorer :thumb

Just yesterday bought a Guzzi v12 sport 2v...they do get under your skin a bit them big Guzzi's

Well for a start:-

If you rode an 1150 people would take you seriously instead of sniggering as you ride past on your wc.

Been having evil thoughts lately.....new LC, base model with nothing more than heated grips....or a nice low mileage Twin Cam.....or just keep the 1150 and spend the money on ferry tickets and petrol.

That last choice would be the best one :beerjug:

I was out with my mate Sunday, his 09 GS parked next to my Rockster, and I was idly staring at them whilst munching on a strawberry flan with ice cream. For no reason in particular I was comparing the subframes.....frankly the Hexheads looked awful, cheap looking stamped brackets and pigeon shit welding. Not saying the Rocksters tube work is any more or less fot for purpose but it was in a different league quality wise, it's blue paint virtually unmarked and the welding is what I would expect on a premium motorcycle.
I am however envious of his 10mpg advantage over the 1150 and for me personally the riding possition is better.....and the LC is better still.

I was out with my mate Sunday, his 09 GS parked next to my Rockster, and I was idly staring at them whilst munching on a strawberry flan with ice cream. For no reason in particular I was comparing the subframes.....frankly the Hexheads looked awful, cheap looking stamped brackets and pigeon shit welding. Not saying the Rocksters tube work is any more or less fot for purpose but it was in a different league quality wise, it's blue paint virtually unmarked and the welding is what I would expect on a premium motorcycle.
I am however envious of his 10mpg advantage over the 1150 and for me personally the riding possition is better.....and the LC is better still.

You have answered your own question

Who buys a fecking bike for the mpg?

Do you want to be traipsing back to the dealer with warranty stuff?

bit of an update to this still tossing between the two enquiring what I could get for my LC' trade in / letting a dealer buy it off me gonna try go look at a few 1150 gs adventures this weekend, actually thinking of selling most of what I own excluding my classics, mac and my camera gear and taking off for a bit, so thinking its either pay the 1200 gsa lc off and live with the costs per year on it,

anticipated 12,000 miles a year at the moment from next week to next year once I press it propperly into services
running costs so far for the wet head
2x sets of avon trail riders £240 each
2 services £350
extended warranty £450

Total of £1630
+ other sundries

been keeping the millage down by comuting on my classics to work

anyone know how much pads are

Whats everyones running costs on the 1150 adventures anything major to watch out for on them

feasable to self service on the 1150's and is there any none bmw parts suppliers for them now other than ebay?

Cheers,

Tom

Motorworks and Motobins for parts

I just got a set of front brembo pads for £48 v's BMW who wanted £142 for the same brembo pads in a BMW bag

Back
Top Bottom