Bourbon and Corvette's a Ride through Kentucky

Clifton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I thought I’d try sharing a ride from northern West Virginia to neighboring Kentucky four of us just took. The theme was “bourbon and Corvette’s”, central Kentucky being the bourbon capital of the world as well as home of the Corvette factory. Besides this, Kentucky has some wonderful roads to ride and they’re very well maintained.
We left Sunday morning riding 350 miles to Bardstown KY where we based at The Old Kentucky Home motel for a couple nights.

Monday we rode up Rt 62 to Frankfort to visit the Buffalo Trace Distillery. Buffalo Trace is making some of the best bourbon including Pappy Van Winkle, Weller, George T. Stagg, Blanton’s, as well as others including my favorite under $30 750ml bottle, Eagle Rare.

Here they’re bottling Blanton’s in two versions one for domestic the other diuted down to 80 proof for export to Australia due to Australia’s very high tax based on alcohol content.

Bourbon must be made from at least 51% corn, and be aged in new charred white oak barrels. Most is aged for 4-15 years some over 20, if under 4 years it must be posted on the label.
Most use rye as the second ingredient but some like Maker’s Mark, Weller, Pappy’s, Rebel Yell, etc use wheat which produces a slightly “less hot” taste.

Naturally a taste was in order!

Tuesday we rode 80 miles or so to the Corvette Museum which is located near the factory in Bowling Green KY. In the entrance were parked new cars ordered for pick up there as well as one to be raffeled off for a museum fund raiser. I didn’t buy a ticket though.

A few years back a section of the floor in the museum collapsed into a sink hole ruining a number of cars. Thankfully it occurred at night when no one was present but some cars were ruined and they are there on display.

We stayed in Mt Vernon Tuesday evening and as our luck would have it was a “dry” county meaning no alcohol is allowed to be sold not even beer or wine and none of us had any along. We fixed that Wednesday at the Liquor Barn up near Lexington where I found the largest selection of bourbon I’ve ever seen!

Good thing too as Wednesday found us in another dry county but this time I had a bottle of Four Roses cask strength single barrel and man did it taste good after riding all day!

Here are a few pics taken Wednesday and Thursday morning depicting the type of roads and what you may typically see riding in eastern Kentucky. Thursday afternoon put us at western WV and a pleasant 5 hour ride home.

I was riding this Yamaha.

Many people raise tobacco along with vegetables.

I couldn't help but stop to pet these two little guys along the road.

It turned out to be a nice little ride and the weather couldn't have been much better, no rain and temps in the 80's.

Cars, nice roads and booze. Superb. :clap

Thanks for that . My daughter lives in Hurricane WV , have visited twice and enjoyed exploring the area . Your a lucky man

Cars, nice roads and booze. Superb. :clap

:D Indeed although do pack along a bottle when traveling in some of the SE states like Kentucky.

Thanks for that . My daughter lives in Hurricane WV , have visited twice and enjoyed exploring the area . Your a lucky man

Thanks Codger, pronounced HUR'-a-kin right? :) On my way north heading home we saw this clean up after the recent flooding just north of Charleston.

Between you and MikeO you're giving me an itch I might need to scratch .... good one :thumb

:beerjug:

That looks brilliant Clifton, what beautiful countryside & roads :)
.........in my ignorance I hadn't realised some States had 'dry' counties, wow!

Andres

Great stuff, so many great cars, so little time ...

I think Kentucky IS a good place to visit, tadhgocuilleain. I didn't even stop to take pictures of the beautiful horse estates.

That looks brilliant Clifton, what beautiful countryside & roads
.........in my ignorance I hadn't realised some States had 'dry' counties, wow!

Andres

Thanks Andres, the region consisting of western North Carolina, western Virginia, Kentucky, eastern Tennessee is probably my favorite part of the US to just get lost in and ride because I just enjoy riding on little rural roads and they're everywhere. It is odd that some counties still want to stay dry but little by little more of them are opening up alcohol sales. Interestingly the county in Tennessee where Jack Daniels is distilled is dry so while JD is probably the largest employer in the county it can't be sold there, it must be shipped out. It's really not a problem as long as one carries along a bottle for emergency in case you end up staying the night in one. Otherwise you may need to drive up to 50 miles to the next county that isn't dry for a pack of beer.

Great stuff, so many great cars, so little time ...

Someone from Canada was at Buffalo Trace Distillery in their Aston Martin, we don't see many of them around West Virginia! :D

While in Kentucky we stopped at President Abraham Lincoln's boyhood home (where he lived from the time he was 2 to 16). This is the location but obviously the log cabin is not original.

Back
Top Bottom