Sgt Bilco's great Alaska Adventure 2016

Not much happenng yesterday as I spent most of it in US customs clearing the bikes which is simplicity itself. We will be picking them up tomorrow.

Mad Mike Murdoch rocked up on his Africa Twin and he's been over here 3 weeks already. The biek gets more attention than anything else and just to upset Engineer and a few others, Mike reports it to be a brilliant all round bike and why would you have anything else? More on this as the trip progresses I suspect.

A Spanish lad came into the motel a couple of days ago on a Suzuki GSXR1000 and he's trying to get around the world in 60 days. His spanish said it would be no problem getting his bike across to Russia or South Korea from here but it is next to impossible. Me and Mike have spent a few hours trying to help him as his English is not good and it's not looking good. The only people who could do it want around 7000 euro which is unbelievable. The best option seems a 4 day blast down to Vancouver and to go from there. Bloody shame because he's a really good guy and only has a limited budget.

Still, fair play to him for attempting it and as adventure bikes go, the GSXR seems to be no problem although he sufferes a bit on the gravel on loose stuff up here!

Had a pleasant couple of hours riding round last night seeing what's happening locally.

Attachments

• IMG_2823.JPG
    IMG_2823.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 874
  • IMG_2814.jpg
    IMG_2814.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 865
  • IMG_2815.jpg
    IMG_2815.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_2821.JPG
    IMG_2821.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 901
  • IMG_2822.jpg
    IMG_2822.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 891
Gixer not everyone's idea of an "adventure" bike but what an engine and, ultra reliable i would say. Good luck to the guy :thumb2

Barrow, Alaska, 4th July weekend...
c193d5d9eacb4e6a15c2df24d69593ed.jpg

No - I didn't take the pic, but beware of the mozzies - they mate with helicopters...

Despite spending many hours calling freight agents, shippers etc our poor Spanish GSXR riding friend called it quits and ios now heading for Vancouver to get his bike across to Russia. It's a 31/2 run if he's lucky and as diversions go, that is right up there. Hope he gets round teh world in 60 days and it was good to try and help another biker out on the road.

Attachments

• P1030858.jpg
    P1030858.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 837
  • P1030857.jpg
    P1030857.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 843
  • P1030856.jpg
    P1030856.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 869
After clearing all teh bikes yesterday, we collected them from Fedex at the airport. It couldn't be easier as everyone up here is helpful and just want no hassle.

We shipped out with Motofreight and I have ti say they are an impressive company to deal with. Paperwork is spot on, bikes packed perfectly and the whole prcess was easy and as described from the outset. If you are airfreighting your bike anywhere, give Roddy from Motofreight http://www.motofreight.com a shout and you wll be dealing with the best in the business in my humble opinion.

Lisa at Fedex reckoned we had teh most bikes she has ever seen at Anchorage. The procedure is is they truck them out to you in the carpark, you uncrate them and then they take the rubbish away and all done with a smile.

We were helped by a local chap called Bill Ness who ferried me and Mike to teh airport to get the bikes, lent us power tools and generally got a sweat on helping us out. This is very typical of Americans in general but Bill went above and beyond the call. His truck is fucking awesome and referred to as the Texas Cadillac.....6.8 litre Cummins diesel engine banging out 350bhp and 800lb/ft torque and would probably pull a house down.

Bikes all at base and none the worse for their transatlantic trip apart from the plastic key indecent......:eek:

Attachments

• P1030859.jpg
    P1030859.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 856
  • P1030860.jpg
    P1030860.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 860
  • IMG_3706.JPG
    IMG_3706.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_3709.JPG
    IMG_3709.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 895
All back to base safe and sound and it's funny what you see crossing the road up in Anchorage!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3715.JPG
    IMG_3715.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 810
  • IMG_3705.JPG
    IMG_3705.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 796
Have you instructed your followers about riding over metal decked bridges, especially at Teslin?

On previous form Chris will leave that as a surprise and a workout for the adrenal glands:D

Stumbled upon these guys up from Texas which is a f*****g long way away! One on a beemer 1200LC (I think and his buddy on a Canam which are popular over here. They are having a great time and note the rubber ring to cosset his ass on the long hauls. He reckoned it works perfectly and no need for airhawks.........!

Attachments

• IMG_3714.JPG
    IMG_3714.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG_3713.jpg
    IMG_3713.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,015
Good luck with the trip Chris & co, looking forward to reading all about it :thumb

So wish I had the health & wealth to go on one of yer trips Chris.
But I'm so glad folks spend the time to post, so I get to go in the virtual world....

Back
Top Bottom