Sgt Bilco's great Alaska Adventure 2016

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Right, as I always do, I'll be doing a trip as I go along on this jolly jaunt with a group of unsuspecting tossers tagging along. Hopefully the other guys will survive the ravages of the Dalton Highway, bears and the mosquitos and post some bits as they go along.

Seriously, this is going to be a brilliant trip and hopefully you'll get a flavour of what we are doing. I'll say right from teh start I'm no Mike O when it comes to trip reports so don't expect witty repartee but hopefully regular updates with pics will give you the gist of what's happing in the most fantastic of places.

As a brief synopsys, there will be 12 of us in all riding from Alaska down to Santa Rosa California with one or two are dipping in and out of the trip. The bikes have all been flown out to Anchorage and I'll be shipping them back from California in 4 weeks time. The actual trip starts from Anchorage on Sunday but I'm up here getting stuff sorted.

Ok, let us begin......

I flew in on 4th July and it was one of the longest days I can remember. Heathrow to Chicago 9 hours then 6 1/2 to Anchorage so given the time diffrence of 9 hours the day seemed to last almost forever. Anyway, United took care of the flying whilst I relaxed on a half empty flight to Chicago on an old school 767. Really nice to fly on a smaller aircraft across teh Atlantic and muchg better than being crammed in with 400 other people that's for sure and an empty seat next to me meant a good comfy flight.

US immigration seemd to have pulled their finger out and the procedure was 5 painless minutes with a comical immigration official thanking me for the US independence. My please I replied thinking it was the first time I'd seen an immigration official actually smile.

3 hours later and the new 737-800 whisked us north over some stunning scenery in Alaska. There was a lot of cloud cover but when it parted it really was beautiful. We'll be riding through some of that in the next few weeks.

Checked into the great value Bent Prop Inn, my home for the next few days followed by a terrible nights sleep due to the massive time difference. Denny supplied the breakfast to kick me into gear this morning and note the token banana for teh health freaks amongst you . :thumb

Attachments

• IMG_3682.JPG
    IMG_3682.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,645
  • IMG_3684.JPG
    IMG_3684.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,624
  • IMG_3685.jpg
    IMG_3685.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,613
  • IMG_3689.jpg
    IMG_3689.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,644
  • IMG_3688.JPG
    IMG_3688.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,612
Wont be long before you have company Chris :D Just spoke with Alex and he'll be there Thurs. night about 8 or 9.

Just been looking at the motel you have there. I was under the impression it was the downtown Bent Prop, that's
the mid town one. So long as i know :thumb2

Some screenshots of the proposed route. 6646 miles.

A few of us instead of going straight back to Anchorage on the Friday after the Dalton are going back via
The Denali Highway arriving back at Anchorage on the Saturday having overnighted Friday on the Denali
at this place. http://alpinecreeklodge.com/

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).jpg
    Screenshot (4).jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,567
  • Screenshot (3).jpg
    Screenshot (3).jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,568
  • Screenshot (2).jpg
    Screenshot (2).jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,592
  • Screenshot (5).jpg
    Screenshot (5).jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,577
Popped round to Anchorage Airport to release my bike. Couldn't be easier unlike most other US prts I've been through and they have a very laid back attitude to everything. I'll be getting everyone elses out during the next couple of days but it's absolutely pissing down so decided to get mine out and head back to base for a coffee and a dry out.

At Fedex, they bring the bike out to you and you unload it and ride away. Just have to tidy the crate up and they take it away no problem. Really nice people and absolutely no hassle whatsoever. Only a couple of pics as the rain started to hammer down so no time for posing.

You can get right up and personal with the aircraft here and loads of interesting stuff flying about. Will be having a good nose around in the next few days thats for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_3690.JPG
    IMG_3690.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,534
  • IMG_3691.jpg
    IMG_3691.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,531
  • IMG_3692.JPG
    IMG_3692.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,534
So very jealous of the trip and the company. Be safe and have a ball guys.

wow ! living the dream here I'm a subscriber to this ,,ride safe and enjoy

See you up there on the due date:thumb2
Having ridden up on the Dalton on a previous trip (and survived:D) once will do me :thumb2,so we are out ahead of time ,,,, chilling in California in a wee rental RV ,living in amongs the natives:thumb2
C U all in due course. :beerjug: :thumb2

I've made it as far as Muncho Lake today (daily average 400 - 450 miles), should be in Fairbanks on Friday so I can have a couple of days off and check the bike over(again) :D

Looks like you're all going to have a great ride!
Wish I was doing it too - I've got as far north, in Alaska, as Fairbanks (that was on an old H-D though).
Have you instructed your followers about riding over metal decked bridges, especially at Teslin?
Always interesting the first time! :beerjug::beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom