Considering an i mac, can I............

dave hendy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Other than the fact I may have put this in the wrong section? I am considering buying an i mac, but I am trying to work out if I can:

1. Use Basecamp (I think that's a yes)
2. Use Mapsource
3. Use Tyre

I am not too computer literate but have an iPhone and iPad and friends keep telling me to switch to a mac, I am not convinced but want to make the right choice? I still use Mapsource to create most of my routes and my friend who I go touring with uses Tyre, so these are important to me!

Thanks

As above.

BaseCamp works really well on a Mac and you'll be able to transfer any existing Mapsource routes you hold straight over.

Take no notice whatsoever of the "BaseCamp is shite" type nonsense. If you can work Mapsource, you can work BaseCamp pretty easily, trust me. The best way to learn? Create a route that you'll definitely use, to avoid just playing about and giving up. There are some really good 'How to do it' videos and of course heaps of good advice here.

You'll be able to share your BaseCamp routes with your friends and then with you, just distribute the files as .gpx

As above.

BaseCamp works really well on a Mac and you'll be able to transfer any existing Mapsource routes you hold straight over.

Take no notice whatsoever of the "BaseCamp is shite" type nonsense. If you can work Mapsource, you can work BaseCamp pretty easily, trust me. The best way to learn? Create a route that you'll definitely use, to avoid just playing about and giving up. There are some really good 'How to do it' videos and of course heaps of good advice here.

You'll be able to share your BaseCamp routes with your friends and then with you, just distribute the files as .gpx

I have attempted to use Bascamp a few times but always get frustrated as I can't seem to do the things I can do easily on Mapsourse. I have tried watching some video but struggle, trouble is while I can use Mapsourse it's easy. I need training on basecamp to sit down with someone and see it work and ask questions!

This, the lack of a dvd drive and the extra cost of the Mac put me off changing what I know especially now Windows 10 is quite good. I don't need to make an immediate decision so will have a longer think about it?

I switched to a Mac in 2010, and haven't looked back.

I have used Basecamp, and it is different, but relatively easy to work with.

HOWEVER you could spend some extra cash and buy VMware fusion, and get it to import the contents of your PC (operating system, files and programs), and run them as PC applications on the mac as they do on the PC. That's what I did to make sure that I didn't confuse SWMBO too much, and allowed the transition from the DarkSide to the enlightened side :cool: (There are other ways to do this, but I don't want to confuse the thread)

After discussions with her in doors about what we use the pc for and how much we use it these days as we both have ipods we have decided we can't justify the imac I was looking at (over £2K) so I have got a 2nd monitor for the pc and we will upgrade that with a big saving:blast

Thanks for all the advice guys, may get a mac in the future if our needs change?

Using Parallels, you can run virtually any PC program on a Mac including Tyre and Mapsource if you can still find a copy.

How much!? Even the retina with fusion drive is only £1599. We use them for high end Photoshop at work and just get the standard screen ones with fusion drive and they are about £1300.

Retina screen on the desktop isn't needed at all.

How much!? Even the retina with fusion drive is only £1599. We use them for high end Photoshop at work and just get the standard screen ones with fusion drive and they are about £1300.

mine wasn't, but you do have to upspec to get over £2K.

probably right about the necessity though. i have both retina and non retina 27" macs and the old one's easily good enough. they no longer do non retina 27" though.

Summary
Add To Favourites
27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display

4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
16GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 8GB
2TB Fusion Drive
AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory
Magic Mouse 2
Magic Keyboard (British) & User’s Guide (English)
Accessory Kit

£2409:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom